i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.5 mild-hybrid engine issues

Offline sarkubocael

• 1st Gear

• sk Slovakia
Hello guys, english is not my primary language so there might be some wrong words but in 2022 i ordered an Hyundai i30 1.5 MH engine, wagon version.

For the first year i was on and off with work trips so mostly my wife was driving it to the city and back, did about 5500km in 9 months, then when i started using it also it has about 8300km in the first yearly warranty service. The next year we took a trip around the europe the last month before the 2nd warranty service. The car was brilliant for the first two years, not a single issue, not even a hint of problems.

We went to the 2nd warranty service checkup 30km after the 15.000 limit,  5 days before the due date, which wasn't a problem in the dealership and this is where my life and my car went slowly to hell. Less than a week after the service, maintenance or what ever it was, the car started hiccuping and and shaking like if you'd put a bad fuel in it. That was about 100km after the service and right off i went back with a complaint on issues after the 2nd warranty service, they said it has nothing to do with the issues im having and gave me a new date for diagnostics check up in a week from that time.

Since i needed my car i used it for the week as least as i could and done about another 400 km, problems started getting worse and worse, i even put in a new fuel from a different brand and better aditives to see if thats the problem, it didn't help and problems became worse.

At the end when i accelerated the car just lost power, started shaking and not gaining speed and the only way to fix it was to stop completely, wait a few seconds and start the car again. The issue fixed and you could drive 1-5-20 mins before it started again.

I took the car to the dealership after the week and they changed the fuel injection to the first valve on the engine, tested the car and returned it to me within an hour. For the next 2 months, ive done 1300 kms on it and the issues suddenly started again in middle of driving on the highway while passing cars, i almost crashed. I went to the dealership right the next day, they gave me an appointment in 2 days, so i kept slowly safely driving my self to work for the 2 days and the issues were there, steadily going worse.

I took my car to the dealership on the agreed date, that was last week friday, after 2h with the car there, they exchanged spark plugs, injectors of the fuel to the valves and the problems became worse and worse or at least that's what they told me. So they told me the car is undrivable and i had to leave it there, they said they found carbon in the engine, on the head and the cylinders. They are going to do  overhaul of the engine head and exchange the cylinders due to then being carbonated. I asked how come the issues started right after the 2nd warranty service, and how come the engine is carbonated at 23.390km within 2 years. They told me cuz i use cheap fuel and drive short distances.

I tank at Shell and i drive 64km to work and 64km back from work, 2-4 days a week depends on when collegues are driving or me, so this kinda sounds wrong to me, im not a car mechanic but the car isn't that old or driven that long for it to be having carbon issues o the engine, but nothing i could do.

They said the car will be at the dealership for 2-3 weeks, and no replacement car so im kinda stuck taking leave off work or asking people to drive me around. I was wondering if people could give me tips on why these issues really started, is it possible they did something wrong and messed up my engine? I no longer feel like that car is reliable for me and im afraid of future issues with the engines due to these fixes being made now. Im afraid it's gona die on me right after warranty and i won't be able to afford fixing it, or even worse these issues come back in bigger scale and i get in a car wreck because of them.

I'm considering selling it but it's already lost a lot of its value in 2 years not even sure if this fix makes the value drop even more. Sorry for the long post, i invested most of my savings wanting to own a brand new car at least once in my life and i kinda feel disappointed and lost due to these issues.

Thank you for all the suggestions and answers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 13:14:52 by sarkubocael »
  • 2022 i30 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 1.5lt, Manual, Engine Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal