i30 Owners Club

Potential Safety Problem

pgc · 33 · 10602

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
I have a problem with a 1.4 Comfort.  It's 10 months old and has done 6500 miles.  One night after about 60 miles of driving the centre display went clear.  The backlight still worked.  I switched on the radio to see if that worked - it did, but the display was badly corrupted.  When I switched the radio off the normal temp/time display was also badly corrupted.  After a while the display gradually corrected itself to be normal.  Its been normal ever since. So what?
The problem is that whilst this was going on a very bad electrical burning smell  (no smoke) emanated from the CD slot and the top left hand side of the upper console cover was noticeably warmer to the touch than the other.
I rang the dealer who I bought it from who suggested I take it to the nearest dealer reasonably quickly to get it checked out.
This I did only to be fobbed off after 2 days of trying to find the fault.  They say that unless it occurs again they can't trace the problem and so they cannot get paid by Hyundai. I aksed if they would replace the display or its driver module but..... (I've cut out my thoughts on this level of support)
So here I am with a ticking timebomb in my opinion, so am asking whether anyone has seen this before.
If anyone from Hyundai UK reads this then please advise what I should do.
I will in the meantime be talking to the selling dealer, assuming I can get it there before it bursts into flames.
Another disatisfied customer?  Or am I the only one?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's easy to remove the radio fascia/cage to have a ganders behind it. Did your "nearest dealer" do that as you know? You can do it yourself - it's dead easy.

I reckon any evidence of a short, or burning, would become apparent by removing that cage.

Quote from: pgc
Another disatisfied customer?

I can count on one hand the number of dissatisfied owners in our club  :'(

Welcome aboard BTW.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi and welcome pgc

I've had my i30 for just over 3 years and have had no issues as you describe.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
I appreciate that, and I never expected any problems.  After all I've bought the car after a bit of research.  Offering a 5 year warranty with unliited mileage can only be done if the manufacturer has full confidence in the product.
I'm just sad and now worried.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Where in the jolly UK are you?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi pgc and welcome to the club.. sorry to hear of your plight.. hope it gets sorted soon. I am on the other side of the world but had my i30 Diesel for 28 months and did 68,000 kms without a single warranty claim.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
They DIDNT really spend 2 days looking for the fault did they? 

You might email customer services to complain, and ask them to authorise a proper diagnostic. But I guess you'd want this at a different dealer.

Email for CS is here:

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/contact/

And please feel free to name and shame the dealer that gave up!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Where in the jolly UK are you?

Ah I see you've amended your profile. Cambridge is too far from me otherwise I'd scoot on down and have a ganders.

As Lorian has intimated, this kind of fault cannot be left "just to see if...".

The diagnosis (and evidence) shouldn't take 2 hours, nevermind 2 days.

Pip
If there is still any detectable smell that would be enough to prove failure. If there is a smell then just make them acknowledge it and get it replaced. I doubt there will be any repairable components (by Hyundai).

If they cannot be convinced I guess you have no option but to follow the advice given and just wait and watch. First sign, take it in.

If you get sick of waiting for it to happen again or continuing doubts make you uneasy I'd probably just invent a second episode. I don't really see this as dishonest but rather assisting the dealer with his submission for a warranty claim.

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
Yes it took 2 days.  I think the first day was spent playing a CD.  There is a faint whiff left.  They didn't acknowledge it.  They had removed the centre section to look after I insisted they did (and manage to slightly damage the softer surround material upon replacement).
I'll speak to the selling dealer and contact Hyundai UK and take it from there.
Needless to say I hope they don't ring me back to check if I'm a satisfied customer

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'll speak to the selling dealer and contact Hyundai UK and take it from there.

I wonder as you were not an "original" customer whether they really tried to identify the issue.

It would be interesting to hear of others experiences regarding warranty work not done at the buying dealer and whether they treated them as "original" customers.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it shouldn't matter if you are the 10Th owner,its still got the remainder of a 5 year warranty.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
I've had countless warranty issues.  How they deal with the problem seems very dealer dependent.  Customer Services aren't much crack either.  Pretty useless.  Tried to ask for them to undertake a full investigation of faults I had (see my posts under Diesel) and they simply ended up acting as an irritating intermediate, and did nothing to investigate my cases further.  In addition, after they renegaded on the agreement to return my car to my workplace as part of me agreeing to get a hire vehicle in the interim through them, they refused to provide me with any further service.  A breach of their contract according to enquiries.  Humph.  Didn't help fix any problems.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've had countless warranty issues.

Is there anything on your i30 that actually works?

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
You wouldn't think so, would you?  I really liked my i30, just wish they'd fix the things that have gone wrong.  A Friday afternoon car, I keep being told.  So stressful as it's in the garage more than it's on the road and I need the car for work.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what country are you in mate,also what dealer are you using?  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Did you get any further, pgc, in finding the fault ?

Reason I'm asking is that I've had a slight electrical burning smell several times but only for a few seconds at a time.

I can't be doing without the car for days while the dealer checks it, though maybe they have loan cars?  Will probably try taking off the radio mounting to see if I can spot anything obvious.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- pgc hasn't revisited the forum since he reported his fault, way back in September :'(

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Today, in a car park, stationary in the i30, listening to the News at One, temperature showing 4 degrees, but in the sun it felt hotter so I dropped the driver's window for air, the radio display went blank (greyed out), radio stilll playing, switched off ignition, radio still playing, pushed radio button "off", waited, then "on", cd came on and smoke wafted from slot (plastic burning smell), ejected a hot cd, push button "off", waited, then "on", display was pixolated then slowly corrected itself to FM and now showed 12 degrees. Everything now works fine again, all happened over 3/4 minutes.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I hope you're going to report that problem :scared:

Sounds scary

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As a really old  :-[driver, i can remember when cars had an engine under the bonnet, very few wires, a generator, battery, starter motor, coil and carby. Lot's of free space. You wound the windows up and down (doubled as air conditioning), probably didn't have sisd mounted rear view mirrors. If the windscreen fogged
up you wiped it clear. No seat belts with warning buzzers (no seat belts), no active head rests, no air bags etc etc etc. Certainly no stereo - maybe just a valve radio.
There are times when, if I'm honest with myself, I wonder how unreliable the modern car of today will be when it gets older and all the electronics start to wear out.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Sounds scary
Will inform the main dealer who supplied the i30 tomorrow, and ask whether any similar problems have been reported to them/Hyundai.
CD looked "smoky" on one side.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

As a really old  :-[driver,
My first vehicle had a DRH radio fitted, to convert dc to ac it used a dc oscillator - which buzzed so loudly that the sound was drowned out until the volume was set to high, 6 volt system, no keys or locks anywhere...

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Spoken to Hyundai Main Distributor, they had not heard of the problem before, so they will contact Hyundai on their GSW (Global Service Way), and await a response.
I have emailed "pgc" for a response, and I will keep this forum fully informed - if there is any development.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Today, in a car park, stationary in the i30, listening to the News at One, temperature showing 4 degrees, but in the sun it felt hotter so I dropped the driver's window for air, the radio display went blank (greyed out), radio stilll playing, switched off ignition, radio still playing, pushed radio button "off", waited, then "on", cd came on and smoke wafted from slot (plastic burning smell), ejected a hot cd, push button "off", waited, then "on", display was pixolated then slowly corrected itself to FM and now showed 12 degrees. Everything now works fine again, all happened over 3/4 minutes.

Shivers.. sounds like you stereo thought it was a toaster there for a while   :faint: :rofl:

Were you listening to breakfast radio?  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Was this playing at the time?

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Was this playing at the time?

No, but I was waiting for "Smoke gets in your eye30's". :eek:
It didn't happen.
Just driven 60 miles today, radio, cd etc. perfectly behaved :confused:

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
Hi everyone

I've just replied to Interphase, that my problem never got fixed.

It hasn't recurred either but....

Interphases description matches mine exactly.

Have given up trying to convince the intransigent smilers at motor dealerships that I am an intelligent human being who knows a thing or two about electronics and cars.

IMO, It has a design fault which wasn't picked up during design verification testing.

I imagine there will be a safety recall at some point in the future.

By the way the dealer involved last September was EMG on Milton Road in Cambridge.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I *think* AEL are appointed as Hyundai's radio repair agent in the UK.

It might be worth trying to email them direct to see if they know of this problem. Keep in mind you shouldn't send anything to them diretly for repair as the work would not be covered by warranty.

http://www.ael-online.co.uk/

Contact details at bottom of page.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

More good, knowledgeable  information.
Thanks Lorian.
I will email and ask them, it really is worth a try. Just driven another 100 miles, no problem though....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal