UK premium Alloy Wheel Problems

AlanHo · 25 · 9517

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I took delivery of my brand new i30 Premium diesel in September and today gave it its first wash. (OK - I know it's a bit late)

I noticed that on two of the wheels the chrome inserts are discoloured - they have a sort of "bloom" like an old mirror when the silvering is corroded. I tried cleaning with a metal polish - but it made no difference.  I have seen another thread here where the chrome was pitted - but my problem is different. Anyone else with similar problems.

I feel a warranty claim coming on............. :evil:

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Did you use an alloy wheel cleaner Alan :question: :question:

I hope not as the acid cleaners are not to be used on the chrome inserts.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Slightly OT - but from the valve in the pic the premium doesn't come with tyre pressure monitoring anymore?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah, it's something I have talked about on here before, the current Premium spec is much less than the version that Shambles and I have :'( :'(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I guess the chrome is actually plastic?

The inserts are definitely not metallic. As Bumpkin inferred they should not come into contact with any alloy cleaner, which is the mistake I made with my first set [replaced under warranty, but if only they knew...]. Having said that, I only used the alloy cleaner supplied with the SupaGard pack, which I paid handsomely for.

Since my [warrantied] replacement, I have used an alternative cleaning agent and it too has clouded/pitted my "chrome" inserts  :-[

We live and learn.

Oh, and it does look like the TPMS transponders have been left on the shelf.... typical cost-cutting
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
The inserts are definitely not metallic. As Bumpkin inferred they should not come into contact with any alloy cleaner, which is the mistake I made with my first set [replaced under warranty, but if only they knew...].

:lol: :lol:
Seems that Alan's problem solved :wink:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I only ever wash my cars with running water and a microfibre cloth - no fancy car shampoo, no fairy Liquid and definitely no proprietary wheel cleaners.

(By the way - those who regularly use wheel cleaners should go to their local building supplies merchant and buy a gallon or two of brick cleaner. Read the chemical composition and compare it with your favourite wheel cleaner. You just might see a remarkable similarity.  This way you get your wheel cleaner for a tenth of the cost).

As I said in my post - this is the first time the car has been washed since I took delivery and it has not been in contact with any chemicals whatsoever. Two wheels are fine (one front one rear) - I have yet to unload the boot (trunk) and check the spare.

I can confirm that the car lacks tyre pressure monitoring - but you don't miss what you never had - and I am happy to carry out a regular tyre inspection and pressure check. Always have, always will.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I guess you are in a good position to try and claim under warranty then Alan, but it might be difficult to stop it happening again, if the cause is unknown.

I seem to recall reading these inserts are attached with screws from the back of the wheel, the others will know for sure.

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I seem to recall reading these inserts are attached with screws from the back of the wheel, the others will know for sure.

Yes the inserts are secured from the back of the wheel  :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Yes the inserts are secured from the back of the wheel  :)

Confirmed. I watched as mine were replaced, one by one

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
could the tarnish be caused by salted winter roads?   :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

could the tarnish be caused by salted winter roads?   :idea:
Good point. Is it polished alumunium or chrome plated?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
chrome plated plastic,i think.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Since November when I first noticed the problem - it has got much worse. The chrome "blooming" developed into blisters.  I eventually found the time and energy to take the car to the dealers and they agreed straight away to order new inserts and change them on all the wheels - even those which look OK at present. They carried out the work yesterday.

The service manager did tell me that "several" 2010/11 premium models they sold last year had suffered from similar problems.

Be interesting to see how long these last........ :sweating:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hope they last this time Alan.. Sounds like you got good service anyway  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I washed the car today - guess what - some of the wheel trims which were replaced under warranty just 2 months ago are showing signs of blooming and small pimples forming in the chrome.

These chrome inserts seem to have a life of about 2 months and will need changing again.

Hence they will require changing say 5 times per year over 5 years - I make that 25 times........ :evil:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a "blooming" pain in the a$$ Alan.. I wonder how Shambles inserts are going??

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That is a "blooming" pain in the a$$ Alan.. I wonder how Shambles inserts are going??

They [re]went bad after not too long. I think it was the alloy wheel cleaning spray I was using. You know the one - the one that says "keep away from plastic or chrome effect surfaces" :rolleyes:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have not used any wheel cleaners - or even detergents. I clean the car with a hose fitted with a car cleaning brush followed by the use of a leather to dry it.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
from your reply Alan about how you wash your wheels, i don't think its your fault.  :idea:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Update

I took the car to the dealership today in order for them to replace all the chrome inserts again - under warranty.

The service manager told me that I am not alone - they have had to do this on quite a few Premium i30's. They originally thought that the severe weather and salted roads we experienced last winter were a factor - but the weather has been kind since mine were last replaced.

We parted with me advising him to order another set of inserts for my car - based upon experience to date - I will be back again to have them replaced in 3 to 4 months.

Perhaps not - the new i30 is expected here in March 2012. I will possibly part exchange my car for the new one. I wonder whether it will have similar wheels.... :rolleyes:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
What is the purpose of these  tacky plastic trims other than decoration?  They will act as a trap for everything that the road surface throws up including salt in the winter.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What is the purpose of these  tacky plastic trims other than decoration?  They will act as a trap for everything that the road surface throws up including salt in the winter.

They are a nice looking wheel...

Alan.. From the look of the very nice alloy wheels on all the newer Hyundai models I doubt the new model i30 will get plastic inserts  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal