Door locking "POTENTIAL" safety issue

eye30 · 21 · 6597

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I never bothered me before, until I got my 2nd remote yesterday, to see how the door locking system worked.

It all works as the book says when the doors, bonnet and hatch are closed but I'm concerned of the following "POTENTIAL" safety issue, especially if you have small kids.

On my car which has deadlocks, if a door(s), bonnet or hatch is open when you press the "lock" on the remote, the door locks activate into the locked position.  The  indicators DO NOT blink.

Any closed, now locked, door CAN NOT be opened by anyone still inside the car.
Remember I have deadlocks. I understand some cars do not have deadlocks and you can open the door by moving the latch.

If you then close the open door(s), bonnet or hatch the indicators THEN blink and all door(s) are now locked.
With all the doors, hatch and bonnet in the closed  position and doors locked the alarm is now activated.

The only way to open the door(s) is by using the remote or spare key.

Now this is the "POTENTIAL" safety issue:
If say a small child, elderly person or in fact anyone is in the car and by chance you have pressed the door lock on the remote, dropped your remote in the car as you are doing things and then by accident you push the door closed , you are well and truely ******.

Will someone else try this and see if this happens with their car and then post their finding.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Tried it 3 days ago, using my 98 year-old Grandfather - he's still in the car and starting to smell quite bad now - I suppose I should have waited till my spare key arrived or put an air freshener in the car before I shut the door.  :shock:

Oh well.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"
Will someone else try this and see if this happens with their car and then post their finding.

If I ever get Fergie back, I'll sure try this for you
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Shambles"

If I ever get Fergie back, I'll sure try this for you

Poor Fergie.
I've just told my eye30 of Fergie's demise and passes on his condolences.

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
well eye30....i dun have good news...i tried it...and well it was exactly what u said....i locked myself inside the car...and then tried opening the doors.....nothing....even tried to un latch it.....nothing....well......always have the keys in u'r pocket...when u'r out of the car....and thanks btw....never would have tried it...if u hadn't mentioned it....
cheers...

ouri30
Well, I have been thinking about this little issue.  May be a big issue if you are 90+.  

Anyway, You have just locked yourself in the car and you don't have your keyfob or the spare key (or a mobile phone).  "Bugger", you say, "What did I do that for?"

Now, as I was driving along today enjoying a day with the family I started thinking about all the good things I have discovered or found out through this forum.  

Then, EURIKA!  I found it!  There in the back crevices of my mind came the answer.  Crawl through and get in the back of the car.  Remove the plastic cover to the emergency escape release handle.  

Your free, with I believe, the alarm signalling  your escape.  No broken windows.  No lifetime spent waiting for someone to rescue you.

What do you think?

Who wants to give it a go and test out my brilliance.  At my age I can simply bask in the glow of my lateral thinking and leave it to someone younger to test it out.

:P

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "ouri30"
 Crawl through and get in the back of the car.  Remove the plastic cover to the emergency escape release handle.

AHHHHHH   BUT if you're of a certain age, wearing clothes which restrict movement or not very mobile would you have the "flexibility" to get into the back, lower the rear seat, move stuff in boot out of way, find the flap and remove it etc etc. Also, would a small child/baby be able to do what you are suggesting?

Yes there is an emergency release and this is highlighted in the handbook but it's not in the most practicable place is it!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Too dark and cold to go outside to look in the handbook... where is this mystery emergency release please.... :?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
eye30,

I have to agree with you.  I reckon I could do it if I had to, but as I'm on the wrong side of 50, I would only do it if I had to.

As for kids, they should never be left alone in or around cars.

I told my wife about this thread and she said, "You keep telling me things like this (plus what happened to Shambles) and I won't even want to drive the i30!"

Bob

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
where is this mystery emergency release please.... :?

If you're car is equiped, as not all are according to my handbook, it's located in the tailgate i.e rear hatch.

In my handbook it's on page 4-13. The example of use is "When someone is inadvertantly locked in the luggage compartment" AS IF!!!!!

I've just tried to get in the luggage compartment. NO WAY will I get in and I'm only 5'8"" and 12 stone!

Open the tailgate and you'll see a plastic cover, with a tailgate picture on, which has a push down release lug.

Behind the plastic cover there is lever which you push to one side, at the same time as pushing the tailgate outwards and hey presto the tailgate opens.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've just tried to get in the luggage compartment. NO WAY will I get in and I'm only 5'8"" and 12 stone!

No hope for me then... I'm 5'9" and 14 stone  8-) )

P.S. Thanks for answering my question..... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
I've accidentally locked my family in the car twice recently when popping to the shops. As a creature of habit I  took the key with me and locked with the remote fob, not considering that my partner couldn't open the door if she wanted. First time was an overcast day but second time the car was very hot, luckily I was only gone 10 minutes returning to see the missus banging on the window. Extremely dangerous for the baby and toddler in particular and didn't know about the emergency release until I found this thread.  :eek:
This is not just Hyundai, I know people that have had similar experiences with other cars.
PS I have HALO activated, don't know if there's a connection.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
dont ever lock your keys in the car... dad works for RACQ (AA, RAA RACV NRMA ect ect what ever you want to call it)

i asked him about "breaking into it" if i have to... he said its a massive job and cant be done easily

so just keep that in mind!!!

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi guys,

wonder if the deadlock can be switched off (by the dealer)?

i don't quite get the purpose of having it?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hi guys,

wonder if the deadlock can be switched off (by the dealer)?

i don't quite get the purpose of having it?

Security.  The car doors can't be opened without distorting the door/frame.

This helps when taking car insurance as it is rated better and, therefore, lower premiun.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I deadlock my house doors at night for the same reason. It stops someone breaking the glass reaching round and unlocking the door.

Offline myar

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just for debate, deadlock at home and car is bit different. i have deadlock at my house and i think it's good to have.

at home, a burglar will open a hole in a window, just large enough to pass thur his arm to reach the lock and gain access, but with deadlock, he has to clear up all the glass and to make sure no sharp pieces around before he can climb thru the window. it is lengthy and risky particularly if the house has someone inside. once inside the house, deadlock means nothing. a screwdriver will be enough...

for the car, if he is after things inside and is "free" to break the window, he can just pinch thru the window (glass will shatter into unsharp pieces), for things too large to pass thru the window, he could even climb thru the window and open the hatch from inside. if he is after the car, he wouldn't want to open the door because of the alarm (breaking the window will not sound the alarm), afterall the car is more protected by the immobilizer than the door... well, i don't know how to break the immobilizer, so i cannot say more on this.

this is my reasoning, what do you think, pls?

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Thanks eye30.
Tried mine - just as you and GURKHA17 said. I too have HALO working.
Could be very scary!
  Forewarned is fob-armed    or words to that effect.

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Thanks for this info Eye I tried mine with my girls in the car and they wouldn't open, a useful piece of info.

i30Sean

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I tried mine with my girls in the car and they wouldn't open,

Now if your after watching the World Cup in peace there is your answer

ps don't forget to leave the window open slightly so they can get free air

Unread Posts