Grinding noise...............

asathorny · 23 · 10114

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Before I start going off on one with my dealership when I take my shiny red machine in for it's service, I thought I had better ask if others have the same thing and maybe it's normal?

When I apply the brakes at lower speeds I hear a low grinding noise which is clearly the brakes because when I release the brake pedal it disappears.  I don't hear it as much at speed as the general noise around hides it, but I am sure it's still there.

I have walked round looking through the spokes of each wheel and the disks look bright and shiny with no deep groves that I can see and the brakes seem to work fine, although I haven't driven any other i30 to compare.

So, this is the question, does anyone else's brakes make a low grinding noise when stopping at lower speeds.  I shall be mentioning it at the service but I just want to gauge how much gravitas to impress as I do so.

Hope everyone has had a smashing Christmas...

asathorny

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Asa - nothing even close to that here. No sounds, nothing, just silky smooth braking.

(ps, your thread is probably better in the Problem section)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah I've noticed it too.
Don't think it's a problem, but be interested to hear what they say.
I don't notice it with the radio on.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hey Asa - nothing even close to that here. No sounds, nothing, just silky smooth braking.

:whsaid:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I get it when I've been driving slowly on salty roads, once the discs and pads have been truly cleaned with some high speed/high energy braking it goes away.

I think it's reasonably common since they stopped putting asbesotos in brake pads.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes I get this first thing in the morning, usually after rain or damp, or when the car has laid up during the day and it has rained or been damp.

When I looked it was the brake discs which have gone "rusty".

Mine goes once the brakes have been applied.

Also, the brake pads being asbestos free can cause the noise due to moisture.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Yes I get it as well. All the time, but worse when the car has been parked and its wet. The disks rust up a bit  :lol:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK thanks for the input, so it's not just me.  Still, I will mention it when it goes in for service see what they say and report back in due course.

thanks again

asathorny

PS
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, ya godda make allowances for us guys move DISGRACEFULLY towards 70 (and I don't mean miles per hour)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Spooky how things happen :eek:

I took Fergie out for the first time in a couple of days; my braking was non-existant the first couple of attempts, then they felt gritty.

I put it down to the weather, as mentioned
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah, mine has always had the grinding also, as others report it goes away after a couple of brake applications.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
isn't it weird how until another person mentions a little niggle with their car,others also notice it.  :neutral: if its been raining or I've just washed our cars the brakes do funny things,but nearly all cars I've driven have done it.  :goodjob:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It's amplified over here at the moment due to all the rocksalt being washed around the roads.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm glad i don't get snow where i live,the only salt my car gets on it is down the beach.  :sweating:

Offline de Bounce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thomastown
Ever since they removed asbestos and introduced metallic pads, the brakes need a little warmth to operate correctly/silently.
The initial application of the brakes may generate the grinding noise as the pads clean any rust off the rotor and generate a little heat. After that they should be fairly quite unless the temperature of the rotor drops again (real cold and not using the brakes)

If your car is professionally serviced, one of the checks is pad and rotor thickness, if the service centre don't believe the pads/rotors will last to the next service, they should request you have them replaced.
  • 2010 MY11 FD SLX CW 1.6 CRDi in Clear Blue

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Had a good listen to mine today. No noise at all. So whatever it was in my case has gone. :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Once again, thanks to everyone for the input.  It's  such a help being able to ask others with the same car....

asathorny

Offline Touringcajun

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Louisiana

• Louisiana, U.S.A.
Like others, mine are silky smooth and have been since seating the pads the first day off the lot.

We hardly ever have snow or ice accumulate on the roads down here and as such, our state has no salt or sand to spread around if and when it does happen. On the rare occasions that this might happen, it is comforting to know that the lil' wagon is equipped with ABS, ESC, TCS, EBD, EIEIO. :>)

I really like the firm brake pedal and braking ability Hyundai has bestowed on the Touring (I30cw), it's reminiscent of my 2001 Accord. Truth be known, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that had 4 wheel disc with all the alphabet soup computer braking systems. I still drive like it doesn't have all this, but have peace of mind knowing it's there, just in case.

We have very wet winters here and rust is a way of life, but the rust others have mentioned isn't a factor in my experience. I guess it's cleared away while backing down the driveway before selecting D and driving away.

As nice a package as this wagon is, I'm surprised we don't see more on the road. My wife and I have only seen 2 others in the 15 months we've had our ET.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks TC, an interesting insight to your part of the world... (they are apparently selling a lot of Sonatas in your country - Guess the Touring is considered a bit small for the average American Citizen)?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Touringcajun

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Louisiana

• Louisiana, U.S.A.
Hi Dazz,

Yes the new bodied Sonata is supposedly selling briskly, personally I don't care for the styling.

Actually, I'm amazed at the seating space available in the ET. I'm not a lightweight any longer, but I fit and can get very comfortable in the front or rear seats. I think Hyundai needs to advertise this vehicle a little more.

I recently saw the new Elantra sedan, I like this much better, except for the rear quarter panel behind the wheel well. I guess this will be the treatment for the new I30.

Offline Twempie

• 2nd Gear
I get it when I've been driving slowly on salty roads, once the discs and pads have been truly cleaned with some high speed/high energy braking it goes away.

I think it's reasonably common since they stopped putting asbesotos in brake pads.

This mroning I drove my i30 diesel for the first time in over a week and experienced the same grininding noise reported by members.  The noise appeared as soon as I pulled away (not just when I was braking) and could tell that there was contact between the pads and rotors.  We've had a fair amount of snow and rain here in Scotland over the past couple of weeks during which time the car hasn't had much use (been on crutches since the new year!).  Like Lorian I found that a few applications of the brakes in 'real driving' conditions seemsed to clear the problem which in my case had resolved itself by the time I had got home.  Reckon the problem was down to rust on the rotors that has developed while the car was not being used.

Cheers

Twempie

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Twempie .. Hope you are fully recovered (Guess you must be if you are driving)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
(been on crutches since the new year!). 

too much of the scottish spring water laced with malt :faint:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal