i30 Owners Club

Suspension Noise

WOLFIE · 18 · 7830

Offline WOLFIE

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent
 :D Hi all my i 30 has only covered 8000 careful miles o9 reg up to now has had a new drivers seat cover replaced & when it was replaced, the paint in the door shut was damaged the door pad plastic was grooved after removing the seat. a suspension link replaced due to a creaking front end,the latest issue to arise is all four bump stops / damper covers are to be replaced.
having read other reports it seems there is an issue around the bump stops / dampers with European built cars but no recall, i feel this is shifting the onus onto the owner.i have owned two Hyundai cars three kia cars renault ford and others but for a new car i feel a little let down over these issues how many more i 30 owners are facing the same damper issues i wonder.  :rolleyes:      

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I have the noise on the rubber damper covers quite bad on my car now, and will be booking it in shortly to be fixed.

I guess there is no recall because it's not a safety issue, but I agree you would think they would check and rectify at the next service. Mine was serviced not long ago and I forgot to mention the noisy rubber covers, and the certainly didn't check or do anything with them  :neutral:

Offline hyfreo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
Hi, Is there any more information out there regarding this problem? I experienced the same thing on my 1.6 crdi and on taking it to dealers was told the stops were subject to a recall. however I got the feeling they were being rather "cagey" about it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

There are two issues. One with the stops and one with the covers. as long as they have agreed to fix it then no problem. They probably just didn't want to let on that just about every car they see has suspension noises.

Mine had been fine since the fix.

Sent from my Blade

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
There is a recall for some suspension issues, related to struts I believe, however because it is not a safety issue, dealers are fixing it on the affected cars at normal service as far as I am aware.....

Sent from my HTC Wildfire
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline zeke45

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      ludlow shropshire england
It's not just the european built cars with these problems.Mine is a 2009 korean built CRDI CW with just 10,000 Mls on it. Both the rear damper covers have come loose and both sides of the front suspension knock badly on uneven road surfaces.There has also been a problem with the gear change from 1st to 2nd from new, they fitted new cables and assured me it would improve with a few miles on the clock but there ain't no improvement yet.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

zeke,

That's interesting, it has seemed to be only related to the sachs shocks supplied on the European models. I wonder if they sourced a batch of shocks for the Korean factory from Europe.

I think the 1st to 2nd gear issue might well be a characteristic of the five speed box when fresh, I'm sure our friends with this box will tell you more and indicate when it might ease up.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Mine is now just shy of 14K miles and the gearbox is much better than it was when new, only occasionally giving the issue when selecting reverse, but 1-2 and 2-1 is now very smooth.

:idea: :idea: I wonder if you may have allowed your problem to go on a bit longer by having new cables fitted, perhaps it is taut new cables that cause the issue rather than the actual box?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
:D how many more i 30 owners are facing the same damper issues i wonder.  :rolleyes:      
Just collected mine from dealer, they have "siliconed" all 4 damper sleeves in place. Now there are constant annoying creaks from rear o/s up to 20 mph, so returned to workshop, it would seem that the vehicle was raised on lift which allows access to silicon the sleeves, this may put strain on certain bushes, (wheels are not removed). Hyundai allow 20 mins/pair, for work to be carried out.
The Technician spent a considerable time, (both of us underneath the car), attempting to rectify, removed torsion bars, bushes etc, and sprayed silicone on possible creak areas, to no satisfactory result.
Vehicle to be returned for full investigation.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Isn't lt supposed to be some kind of pu glue not silicon? Im not certain.

And check the creek isn't coming from the brake pads.

Sent from my Blade

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Isn't lt supposed to be some kind of pu glue not silicon? Im not certain.
And check the creek isn't coming from the brake pads.
Well it only looked to me like clear silicon, Receptionist called it something else and said it was supplied by Hyundai, and it was an extremely strong bonding agent, (silicon is not).
So, as usual, you may be quite correct.
I will mention the pads, not sure how they would have been affected though...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

thats ok then I think hy supply polyurethane glue, its much better at stocking stuff than silicon.

On the pads I was just thinking it might be some pad chatter/squeak because you mentioned it only happened at lower speeds.

Sent from my Blade

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:D how many more i 30 owners are facing the same damper issues i wonder.  :rolleyes:      
Just collected mine from dealer, they have "siliconed" all 4 damper sleeves in place. Now there are constant annoying creaks from rear o/s up to 20 mph, so returned to workshop, it would seem that the vehicle was raised on lift which allows access to silicon the sleeves, this may put strain on certain bushes, (wheels are not removed). Hyundai allow 20 mins/pair, for work to be carried out.
The Technician spent a considerable time, (both of us underneath the car), attempting to rectify, removed torsion bars, bushes etc, and sprayed silicone on possible creak areas, to no satisfactory result.
Vehicle to be returned for full investigation.

Hi interphase ..Hope it gets sorted properly soon.. These niggly little problems can be a real pain  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

On the pads I was just thinking it might be some pad chatter/squeak because you mentioned it only happened at lower speeds.
No, nothing like that just "creaks". Strangely enough, since the first time I entered my drive the vehicle has creaked slightly from the same area, I incorrectly imagined that the rear tailgate rubbers were rubbing as the vehicle "twisted" slightly; I drive up a hill, turn left over the road gutter then immediately up a tarmacked slight, angled, steep, slope. It has never done that anywhere else, until today.
The modification has aggravated the problem, and at this time I do not wish to offer a "Red Herring" and maybe confuse the Technician (Bob), so will let him investigate first.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Did they try it with the clamps on the bushes on the anti-roll bar (maybe the torsion bar you referred to) either loosened or put the spray on the (inside of) bushes ?

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Did they try it with the clamps on the bushes on the anti-roll bar (maybe the torsion bar you referred to) either loosened or put the spray on the (inside of) bushes ?
Yes, he took the anti-roll bar completely off, each "rubber" half was already coated in silicone, sprayed the suspension spring ends, remaining bushes and just about everywhere that was safe to do so, now driven over 50 miles, it is still the same creak, no better no worse.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Just returned home, driven over some rough roads today, mysteriously the "creak" noise has completely gone - wonderful back to square one.
Only did the usual creak/yawn when I pulled into the drive.
Car now perfection.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just returned home, driven over some rough roads today, mysteriously the "creak" noise has completely gone - wonderful back to square one.
Only did the usual creak/yawn when I pulled into the drive.
Car now perfection.

GR8  :goodjob: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal