i30 Owners Club

Interior light, rear seat belt and a poorly positioned door lock

copycats · 51 · 17960

carib
Ok, I guess it must be a new (ish) thing, as I dont have that extra clip, just one continuious belt.

Hi Lorian.
I think that you have an hatch.
That clip is only in the CW (Cross Wagon, Van).

Regards,

carib

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Ok, I guess it must be a new (ish) thing, as I dont have that extra clip, just one continuious belt.

Hi Lorian.

Regards,

carib

Well spotted. I've never even been inside a CW!

carib
Thanks carib, will do it myself, like you.
Hi copycats.

As I said, it's easy.

You need pull up the piece surrounded in red and as you can see there are two screws (surrounded in green).

Of course, there are another two screws in front of the seat, near the floor.

(Sorry my poor English).

Regards,

carib

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

Hi Lorian.

Regards,

carib

Well spotted. I've never even been inside a CW!

Jeez, most of the posters on this thread have never been in the back of there own hatch  :D

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Thanks carib, will do it myself, like you.
Hi copycats.

As I said, it's easy.

You need pull up the piece surrounded in red and as you can see there are two screws (surrounded in green).

Of course, there are another two screws in front of the seat, near the floor.

(Sorry my poor English).

Regards,

carib
Thanks carib for taking the time to post the pic  :goodjob:
Are they doing a recall on them over there or just modifying as people complain?
Your english is fine  :goodjob:

carib
Are they doing a recall on them over there or just modifying as people complain?

Hi copycats.

I'm not sure about what is a recall, but when I gone there for an issue with ISG, they mentioned in the paper something about the seatbelt. In my case it was not necessary, but I know that another guy had this issue solved without asking anything about in the first regular service.

Regards,

carib

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
 I must firstly say that I haven't anything constructive to offer in the way of solutions to the problems you have posted copycats but I read with great interest your posts on the problems you've encountered using your i30 cw taxi (I have a petrol 2010 cw) and even sat in the back of mine and I agree 100% about anyone trying to get out of the back will have trouble.

The main reason of my post was the warmth of interest and concern shown to you by other members of 'The i30 owners club' was overwhelming and in particular 'carib' .. What a helpful considerate person you are "Good on you mate"  :)

What a first class group of people you all are  :goodjob:.

carib
I must firstly say that I haven't anything constructive to offer in the way of solutions to the problems you have posted copycats but I read with great interest your posts on the problems you've encountered using your i30 cw taxi (I have a petrol 2010 cw) and even sat in the back of mine and I agree 100% about anyone trying to get out of the back will have trouble.

The main reason of my post was the warmth of interest and concern shown to you by other members of 'The i30 owners club' was overwhelming and in particular 'carib' .. What a helpful considerate person you are "Good on you mate"  :)

What a first class group of people you all are  :goodjob:.

Hi Ozbrum.

Thanks for your words. You are right. We (including you, of course) are a first class group!

I try help anyone when I can, and I don't help more because it's very dificult to me write in a good English that all understand.

I try using the spellchecker of wordprocessors and google tranlator, but I'm sure that is not the best way.

Regards,

carib

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

The main reason of my post was the warmth of interest and concern shown to you by other members of 'The i30 owners club' was overwhelming and in particular 'carib' .. What a helpful considerate person you are "Good on you mate"  :)

What a first class group of people you all are  :goodjob:.

Wow  Ozbrum,maybe not constructive in a practical sense, but what a post  :goodjob: :goodjob:
Hammered the message home to me how ordinary folk willingly and freely take time to help each other wtih the only thing in common is having the same type of vehicle.Not taking away from the many helpful postsers on this thread but i couldn't agreee more with you regarding Carib.

Carib I done the job today and it was easy as you suggested.Hopefully will cause less confusion now wth my many passengers as it looks a lot more like just an ordinary belt now and it doesn't foul-obstruct - get in the way of anything.Thanks again (do post more please your english is more than understandable)

Interestingly enough i got a mail back from Hyundai regarding the lock issue  I quote

"Further to your e-mail with regard to the locking mechanism on your Hyundai i30.

I have forwarded your concerns to the Hyundai Technical Team and this will be taken into account when producing future models. However the Technical team are unable give any assistance to the issue you have raised.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Hyundai Customer Services"

Roughly translates to me , Jeez your right, wont happen again, but you'r up the creek without a paddle with this one.

Maybe im being to hard on Hyundai here , its just that every other taxi i have owned there's always been niggly little faults, usualy through time and experience though  there comes a workable fix.Caribs seatbelt fix being a prime example.The lock issue, I'm sure is something i'm going to have to endure for the life of this taxi.
Hope someone proves me wrong

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Without looking too closely, is it possible to take the rear handles apart and remove the locking part from the mechanism, it shouldn't have an effect on the actual locking of the vehicle, just remove the plastic rocker???

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Without looking too closely, is it possible to take the rear handles apart and remove the locking part from the mechanism, it shouldn't have an effect on the actual locking of the vehicle, just remove the plastic rocker???

Sent from my 1000ET
Thanks bumpkin, never thought of that could be worth a try.
 I love this forum
Second thoughts, the council test would never allow that, all locks latches etc must be operational from both inside and out.Mind you,if it was a simple operation I could replace for the yearly test.No council or police spot check is ever that thorough that they would notice this.
Also could I point out that out of % of passengers who accidently lock the door, could say 90 odd % of these get out rear nearside, so in reality  a nearside rear fix would all but nail this.
Feeling more confident about  it now

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Regarding the door lock problem.

You could put a narrow srip of duct or gaffer tape from the locking lever and onto the door (towards the rear of the door) to hold the lever in the unlocked position.

It would stop passengers from accidentally locking the door - but has the disadvantage of possibly preventing you from locking the car and setting the alarm with the remote key. You would need to remove the tape at the end of your shift.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Regarding the door lock problem.

You could put a narrow srip of duct or gaffer tape from the locking lever and onto the door (towards the rear of the door) to hold the lever in the unlocked position.

It would stop passengers from accidentally locking the door - but has the disadvantage of possibly preventing you from locking the car and setting the alarm with the remote key. You would need to remove the tape at the end of your shift.

Tried a few things like you have suggested  but your correct cant lock wih remote, also cant lock from armrest to stop undesirables getting in.
Ta for your input though

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
On my car I can set the internal lights to just front or front & centre together... :confused:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

On my car I can set the internal lights to just front or front & centre together... :confused:

yup i tried it, ther is a center position on the rocker (unlabel) that does indeed do what the OP wants. Ideal for a taxi.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
But that only works on the door switch, what a taxi driver wants is for the lights to all come on without opening a door, in order to take the fare, write receipts etc, hence my comment about wiring them via an inline switch to the door switch.

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What this needs is a toggle switch, fixed to the dash, which simulates a door being opened. Its only job would be to provide an earth to the single wire that is connected to the existing door plunger switch.

I think that's what bumpkin is saying.

Just need to find which wire that is, behind the dash...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

carib
What this needs is a toggle switch, fixed to the dash, which simulates a door being opened. Its only job would be to provide an earth to the single wire that is connected to the existing door plunger switch.

I think that's what bumpkin is saying.

Just need to find which wire that is, behind the dash...

Hi.

I Think that isn't necessary.

The map lights switch on when depressed. I think that wiring one of them to the back roof light is suficient.

Regards,

carib

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes carib I agree that would work. But which would be easier to do I wonder...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sorry I'd forgotten the original point.

Like carib says it has to be easiest to make the main front light's supply common with the map light's switched supply with very short bit of cable, probably only need an inch or two of cable.

Decent LEDs wouldnt go amiss too.

carib
[The lock issue, I'm sure is something i'm going to have to endure for the life of this taxi.
Hope someone proves me wrong

Hi.

"There's only one thing that has no remedy. Death"!

I do not know if this is possible and works, not tried it, but I was watching the locking of the doors front and back and seem to be equal.

Front

and back

You can try to change the front to back and see if it opens up even when locked.

Another option, but more expensive, is to buy two front locks and put them on back doors.

Regards,

carib

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal