i30 Owners Club

Interior light, rear seat belt and a poorly positioned door lock

copycats · 51 · 18218

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
OK guys through you lot on this forum I decided to get an i30 to use as a taxi.One of the taxi dealers was doing an incredible deal.Came across this forum and it made it a no brainer.

Get to the point of the thread please

OK , had it 8 months now and fairly happy.much more comfortable day at work compared to my previous Vectra and Skoda.Dint laugh at the Skoda, mechanically the i30 has a lot to prove to me yet to get anywhere near the reliability and robustness (is that a word) of the Skoda.Comfort wise it beats both hands down.I did buy the estate though.

Three trivial dislikes that bug the hell out of me on a daily basis, remember its a taxi though and I wouldn't imagine these would be as much of a problem to the ordinary motorist.

1.Way to easy for rear passengers to lock the door as they go to pull the handle to open the door. Every day I hear "mate your child locks are on". Sit in the back and try it!!!!

2. Interior lights/courtesy lights.Why no setting to have all 3 come on at once, instead i have to lean back put the main one on and then putt the front/map one on and vice versa once the passenger has gone.Doing this with every passenger every night becomes irritating.Vectra or Skoda had a setting where if 1 came on/off
they all did.

3. Rear seat belts, to deep set into the seats, passengers struggle to find and clip themselves in.Doesn't help that I have leatherette upholstered on top. What is the middle belt all about? myself and passengers are confused by this setup.Most kids sitting in the middle try and unclip the bit that that looks like its already clipped in and ready to go.

Oh and the seat belt warning is way to sensitive.Put a hand bag in the middle and it thinks its a passenger and needs belted in.Cue the irritating warning noise/alarm.

As stated nothing major, just irritating when the same same recurring scenarios are visited daily.

Thanks
Copycat

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
#1. you can lock or unlock all doors from the drivers armrest.  #2. you could have an auto electrician wire the front light to the rear one so as when you put on the front, the rear also comes on.  :idea: #3. i haven't got an idea about the rear seat belts sorry. the last problem, with placing things on the seat and the seat belt alarm going off,place those items in the rear luggage area of the car.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've never had a problem sitting things on the rear seat..... :-\
Even my old mum's walker, which I fold up and sit on the rear seat doesn't trigger anything.

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
#1. you can lock or unlock all doors from the drivers armrest.  #2. you could have an auto electrician wire the front light to the rear one so as when you put on the front, the rear also comes on.  :idea: #3. i haven't got an idea about the rear seat belts sorry. the last problem, with placing things on the seat and the seat belt alarm going off,place those items in the rear luggage area of the car.  :idea:
Thanks for taking the time to post reply
Rgarding the locks, I wish it was just as simple as locking or unnlocking from the armrest. Not easy doing this when counting out change /writing receipt ,fiddling with interior light switches  :) etc while another passenger is geting frustrated with the handle.

Your idea regarding interior lights is certainly one i have considered and will probably take up thanks.

Regarding the sensitivity of the seatbelt warning, no chance of handbags going in rear luggage area, passengers need access to , money , phone, make up etc whilst traveling.
Thanks
Copycats

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Thanks for taking the time to post reply
Rgarding the locks, I wish it was just as simple as locking or unnlocking from the armrest. Not easy doing this when counting out change /writing receipt ,fiddling with interior light switches  :) etc while another passenger is geting frustrated with the handle.

Your idea regarding interior lights is certainly one i have considered and will probably take up thanks.

Regarding the sensitivity of the seatbelt warning, no chance of handbags going in rear luggage area, passengers need access to , money , phone, make up etc whilst traveling.
Thanks
Copycats
i didn't think about the handbag,i don't use one.  :scared: :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

1.Way to easy for rear passengers to lock the door as they go to pull the handle to open the door. Every day I hear "mate your child locks are on". Sit in the back and try it!!!!

Dealer can turn this off so they do not auto lock

ps
but at least with the locks on you can make sure they pay before they get out and do a runner  :rofl: :rofl:

pps
any stories you would like to share plus have you had anyone famous in you taxi?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Don't think he is talking about autolock eye, just when someone reaches for the latch it is possible to lock the door by accident.

To be fair, your interior light issue is only one which would be noticed in your profession, it must be fairly easy to wire a switch to perhaps the door switch, since all interior lights come on when a door is opened.

I am unsure what you are talking about with regard to the middle seatbelt, mine is just a standard inertia reel setup?

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Don't think he is talking about autolock eye, just when someone reaches for the latch it is possible to lock the door by accident.

To be fair, your interior light issue is only one which would be noticed in your profession, it must be fairly easy to wire a switch to perhaps the door switch, since all interior lights come on when a door is opened.

I am unsure what you are talking about with regard to the middle seatbelt, mine is just a standard inertia reel setup?

Sent from my 1000ET
Locking the door by accident happens on several occasions per shift.Never happend on any of my other taxis.The more I Look at the latch/lock button setup,the more i see the bad design.

My middle seatbelt is not a standard inertia reel.It has a seatbelt type fitting 3/4 of the way down which can be unclipped.Not talking about the actual  seatbelt clip here which slides up and down the belt.This is a separate joint for what reason I have yet to fathom.
Certainly causes confusion especially for the youngsters in the middle.Rather than just clicking in, they sit look at the joint, either try and undo it or pull the belt over there head as they think it all clicked in place.

As i said in the original post these issues would probably not be noticed by regular motorists and there families who are used to the setup.Hope I'm not sounding to over critical because I'm reasonably happy with the car so far.The issues mentioned are fairly trivial although I'm sure someone is going to damage a latch .My other taxis have had as many if not more irritating features.Skoda Octavia biggest gripe was lack of legroom leading to changing the front seat positions on just about every hire.Incidentally the Skoda had only one interior light in the centre forward position.  I did wire in another centre rear which worked in tandem with the original.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I have a standard intertial reel in the centre back seat, same as those on either sides. I can't even picture what you have, can you take a picture?

I never really sat in the back before, only when cleaning. So I just did, and I see what you mean about the locks being easy to lock. I can't see any easy way around it. If you got HALO enabled (Hyundai Automatic Locking) it would so nearly help but alas I think it doesn't unlock when the car comes to a standstill, but unlocks when the key is taken out. Someone with it enabled will be able to confirm this no doubt.

I think it would only take one wire from the front internal light to the dome light to allow it to function simultaneously with the front light (or door lights if preferred). If I was a taxi driver I think I'd invest in some nice brighter LED lights for both too, and the boot.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK, Lorian beat me to it, here is what I was going to say!
Strikes me that your middle seatbelt has a latch lock fitting for use with a child booster seat, a common issue with standard seatbelts is that when used on children they ride too high on the neck, so you need something which pulls the belt away from the neck, this is not on the earlier models, any chance of a picture?

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
I have a standard intertial reel in the centre back seat, same as those on either sides. I can't even picture what you have, can you take a picture?

I never really sat in the back before, only when cleaning. So I just did, and I see what you mean about the locks being easy to lock. I can't see any easy way around it. If you got HALO enabled (Hyundai Automatic Locking) it would so nearly help but alas I think it doesn't unlock when the car comes to a standstill, but unlocks when the key is taken out. Someone with it enabled will be able to confirm this no doubt.

I think it would only take one wire from the front internal light to the dome light to allow it to function simultaneously with the front light (or door lights if preferred). If I was a taxi driver I think I'd invest in some nice brighter LED lights for both too, and the boot.

Thanks Lorian for the input.My wifes car is rigged up that way, that is when it comes to a standstill the locks open.The problem would still be there though?Car stops or key out , buttons in open postion,passenger accidently closes it.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This set of "issues" might be better in its own thread...

There ya go  :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
OK, Lorian beat me to it, here is what I was going to say!
Strikes me that your middle seatbelt has a latch lock fitting for use with a child booster seat, a common issue with standard seatbelts is that when used on children they ride too high on the neck, so you need something which pulls the belt away from the neck, this is not on the earlier models, any chance of a picture?

Sent from my 1000ET

Sounds about right Bumpkin,the extra clip joint near the bottom does force the belt across in a more lap position.Pain in the butt to the not familiar travelling public and the poor driver who has to turn round and belt them in.Will post a picture tomorrow

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sounds about right Bumpkin,the extra clip joint near the bottom does force the belt across in a more lap position.Pain in the butt to the not familiar travelling public and the poor driver who has to turn round and belt them in.Will post a picture tomorrow

Maybe it can be taken off?

I see what you mean about the rear locks, of course the punters accidentally lock them while fumbling for the handles in the dark! I have an idea - try a little luminecent (not reflective) green tape on the handles so they glow in the dark. Coupled with the light modification and maybe the problem will deminish. Like this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUMINESCENT-GLOW-DARK-TAPE-300MM-X-20MM-WIDE-/270687628940?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3f063d6e8c

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

Maybe it can be taken off?

I see what you mean about the rear locks, of course the punters accidentally lock them while fumbling for the handles in the dark! I have an idea - try a little luminecent (not reflective) green tape on the handles so they glow in the dark. Coupled with the light modification and maybe the problem will deminish. Like this stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUMINESCENT-GLOW-DARK-TAPE-300MM-X-20MM-WIDE-/270687628940?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3f063d6e8c

Lorian, i love your thinking on this issue :goodjob:
We have a printer up in glasgow who dos all our taxi stckers, no smoking license No etc etc.Once had a ford connect with a not to disimilar problen than this one , he done me flourecent stickers with an arrow and message.Worked a treat.Unfortuneately i dont think this would work with this.Just appears to me that the button locks at the same angle as the hand that is coming to open the latch.
If the button was on the opposite side of the latch, no problem,if the buton closed in the reverse action  of present, no problem.
Just a bad design if you ask me

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...Just appears to me that the button locks at the same angle as the hand that is coming to open the latch.
If the button was on the opposite side of the latch, no problem,if the buton closed in the reverse action  of present, no problem.
Just a bad design if you ask me

Well I just went out and sat in the back of Fergie.. first time ever I think :eek:

And you are absolutely right... it's so easy to hit the lock with the fat part of the palm; it's in the wrong position. The lock, that is.

I'm going to ask for a refund
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'm going to ask for a refund

Lol, good job you aren't available for private hire.

Seems i30 as a taxi introduces a few little foibles the rest of us never notice.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Even my old mum's walker, which I fold up and sit on the rear seat doesn't trigger anything.

In oz we only get seat belt detection on front seats ... in UK at least some models get it on all 5 seats apparently.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

Not working tonight due to the btake light issue

Here is a pic of the middle seatbelt

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Doesn't look anything like mine. I'm not even sure it looks like original equipment -  Does that "extra" bit just come off and allow the seatbelt to plug in as normal?

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Doesn't look anything like mine. I'm not even sure it looks like original equipment -  Does that "extra" bit just come off and allow the seatbelt to plug in as normal?

Its genuine alright.Handbook i got clearly displays image of it .No mention as of what its for though. The "extra bit" does come apart but this is done by inserting the key in a slot on the side. The normal clip for plugging in is further up the belt and dooes plug in as normal.
 See now how this causes confusion for the punters.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

In oz we only get seat belt detection on front seats ... in UK at least some models get it on all 5 seats apparently.

Thanks for that info, Daz....This sounds like one feature I'm happy not to have.... :D

:wtf: Stupid chime thingies going off....Grrrr

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
here's a pic with it clipped in

notice how it also fouls the belt holder for the person that would be sitting to the right.

Anyway, the best solution so far regarding the belt issue is to keep it clipped in.Killing two birds here
1. Any bag or item that is placed in the middle will not start the chime.
2. Any middle passenger coming in gets a look at how it is clipped in and hopefully just unclips and then reclips in the same position with no drama.

carib

notice how it also fouls the belt holder for the person that would be sitting to the right.

Anyway, the best solution so far regarding the belt issue is to keep it clipped in.Killing two birds here
2. Any middle passenger coming in gets a look at how it is clipped in and hopefully just unclips and then reclips in the same position with no drama.

Hi.

Here, in Portugal, the dealers are making the correction of that.
I' maded it myself. It's not dificult. Only dismount the seat and put the clip in correct position. You can see here.

Before

and after

Regards.

carib

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

Hi.

Here, in Portugal, the dealers are making the correction of that.
I' maded it myself. It's not dificult. Only dismount the seat and put the clip in correct position. You can see here.

Before

and after

Regards.

carib

Well sweet Jesus, does that not look a whole lot better after the mod.
Thanks carib, will do it myself, like you.

You couldn't ask those clever Portuguese dealers to have a look at the lock buttons could you? :D

I have explained both the seatbelt and lock button issue with a main dealer.Categorically stated that was the way they were meant to be and by the look on his face when shown the problems  I must have sprouted an extra head
Imagine Joe Bloggs trying to tell the Hyundai geniuses  they MIGHT have a small problem TUT TUT

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Ah that makes sense. I wonder if it was actually ok when it left the dealer and it was the upholsterer that caused the issue?

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Ah that makes sense. I wonder if it was actually ok when it left the dealer and it was the upholsterer that caused the issue?

No, mine's is the same as caribs before his correction.This is the way they are coming from the dealers.
If carib had done a pic with it clipped in before the mod it would cut across in the exact same way.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Ok, I guess it must be a new (ish) thing, as I dont have that extra clip, just one continuious belt.

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Ok, I guess it must be a new (ish) thing, as I dont have that extra clip, just one continuious belt.
Swap you :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal