i30 Owners Club

High beam not working

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I changed the bulbs in my CW HDi today to Osram night breakers. Neither high beam bulb is working. I've tried both old & new bulbs. I've only had the car a month and am not sure if they ever worked. When you "flash" your lights low beam comes on as well and I am not sure if I have just seen low beam when I was driving and flashed lights. Blue light comes on dash.
I've checked fuses, and haven't got time to take it back to dealer this week.
Have I missed something obvious?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is bulb OK?

It may have been duff when you bought it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Is bulb OK?

It may have been duff when you bought it.
  he's upgraded the originals,buy doesn't know if they were working to start with.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

Managed to get into local service department today.

problem fixed "Checked Earth Points as required. Found earth at both globes not present. Repaired loose earths"

whatever that means.

More of a concern was the service managers comment that diesel i30s are blowing headlight bulbs due to a surge produced by the alternator at startup. Made worse if you leave lights on, with auto On/Off.

They might replace alternator after 3 or 4 return visits if problem doesn't resolve.

Anyone at Hyundai care to comment. Local service isn't the best here on the upper north shore of Sydney.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
More of a concern was the service managers comment that diesel i30s are blowing headlight bulbs due to a surge produced by the alternator at startup. Made worse if you leave lights on, with auto On/Off.

Hopefully one of our insiders will see this thread but it does appear to be more common in the diesels come to mention it.. Myself, Shambles and a couple of other diesel (or previous diesel owners) have upgrade bulbs only to have them blow quite quickly.. :idea:

My first set of Philips + 50 (I think they were) blew after only a month or so (both at once) and they said at the time it looked like they had possibly sircumbed to a surge but fortunately they replaced them under warranty.. the repacements lasted longer but not long enough! :mad:

Many others haven't had any problems though...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

I was having an issue with my new i30 cdi CW with high beam not working. Apparently "Earth was adrift at headlights" since new.

The service manager let slip that diesel i30s are having a problem with a power surge caused by the alternator at start up, causing headlights to blow, especially when headlights left in auto-on position.

Anyone had the problem?

Offline henno77

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Ireland

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There have been a few reports of an earth fault "behind the battery" causing bulbs to blow, but I've seen those mostly on a different site.

Do you have the Bosch active battery recuperation? (check for a temporature sensor on the battery terminal) becuase if you do this will show strange volatge readings as you start up.

My "extremly sensitive" nightbreakers lasted 13 months OK on mine, and then just one blew, I think whilst I was driving.

<Topics Merged>

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal