i30 Owners Club

Light pattern new headlight bulbs

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
As a lot of other people here at the forum I also found the original light on the i30 to be a bit insufficient. Thanks to the description found on how to replace the bulbs I have now replaced them with Osram NB Plus bulbs (both H1 and H7).

The new bulbs does give a much better light but I am wondering about the light pattern.

I have a feeling that there are some unwanted stray light on the left lamp (RH drive). I also suspect that the focus point of the two lamps are not identical.
The stray light on the left is a bit irritating specially driving in fog.

I'm not sure of this is wrong or not. After all I have replaced many bulbs in my lifetime and I'm pretty sure the bulbs are mounted correct and that the lamps are put back into the correct positions.

To show you what I mean I took a picture of the light pattern with the car approximately 2 meters away from the garage door.

I would be grateful if anyone could compare this with theirs and tell me if it looks the same.

Maybe I have to put back the original bulbs and make a new picture....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I dont have that stray light.

I suspect the bulb might not be quite in the holder properly? make sure the notch on the bulb is in the slot and the bulb is level within the collar.

carib
Hi.

Just one guess.

Try to switch the lamps, from left to right and right to left.

See what happens.

Regards,

carib

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
I dont have that stray light.

I suspect the bulb might not be quite in the holder properly? make sure the notch on the bulb is in the slot and the bubl is level within the collar.

I'm shamed to admit it but Lorian was 100% correct  :-[  :-[  :-[

I was so sure I had mounted the bulbs correctly but it just hadn't fallen all the way into it's place. It was riding on its collar on one side. Look at the right side of the bulb in the picture below:

Such a stupid fault to make.....

The good thing is of course that it is   was extremely easy to fix  :wink:

Now the light pattern is correct without stray light.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal