i30 Owners Club

i30 Jacking Points

pgc · 7 · 11047

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
I wanted to check a tyre on my i30 so thought here's the opportunity to put the jack in operation rather than use my trolley jack.

The problem is that I cannot see where the jack locates and the instructions in the manual are less than worthless.

I cannot see any location point and no indent or pip which locates on the jack.  There are cutouts in the flange but....

What I can see is a flat area behind the sill flange welding which looks as if the top of the jack rest on it.  The u shaped cut out in the jack then clears the flange.

It all looks remarkably unobvious and on a wet dark night I imagine I would wind the jack through the sill or the floor.

Any pictures anyone?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
You position the jack head between the two cut outs.

The car edge slots into the jack head to prevent it moving.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline snappers

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Colchester
yeah i jacked mine up and put it this way in the wrong place caused the skirting to get a hole and become dented Was not happy

Offline pgc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridgeshire
I have to say it's the worst jack I've ever come across.  That and the fact that to use it you have to first wind it down, then to stow it you have to wind it back up to fit the insert.  Lack of thought here I think.

I'm convinced there's some rubber bit missing.

Every car I've had before has a solid locating pin which stops the head sliding.  There's nothing here.

Bit of a disappointment. :-\

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Got to admit I was pretty hacked off at having to wind it down to get it out of the tool foam, to wind it up to elevate the car (BTW: If you have a body kit the jacking points are easy to find since the side skirts have cut outs!! :D ), to wind it down to lower the car to winding it up to stow it away again!!!

Having said that, it is only for emergency use and I have only had to use it once in over 2.5 years!

If that is all we have to moan about it ain't all that bad :D

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Got to admit I was pretty hacked off at having to wind it down to get it out of the tool foam <snip

You weren't jacked off?  :P

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got to admit I was pretty hacked off at having to wind it down to get it out of the tool foam <snip

You weren't jacked off?  :P

Maybe that's what he was upset about? :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal