i30 Owners Club

Sunroof Leak and recall

i30CRDI · 16 · 9369

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby

After the heavy rains in Sydney in recent weeks I noticed the i30 was steaming up a lot inside, put it down to the high humidity at first but it got worse. Then I pulled up the floor mats and they were completelty saturated on the passenger side, the carpet below was the same and I ended up removing the trim and lifting the carpet up to let it dry out. I then scouped out 2 to 3 liters of water from the front and back footwells.
Can't understand where it came from, windows were closed etc and seats bone dry, must be the sunroof I thought so I jumped on google to do some research. Found this for the Webasto Hollandia 700 that was fitted to my i30 by the dealer from new.
https://sunroofcheck.com.au/index.php
I don't think its got anything to with the leak but it needs the recall to stop the glass debonding and flying out so I will get them to check the drain channels when they replace the glass under the recall today.
Anyone else had any sunroof leaking issues on the i30?
Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Send DB08 (dave) in WA a PM if you don't mind (His was an aftermarket roof but it might be the same brand)

He hasn't mentioned a leak or a recall ... Not many on the site with a sunroof.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Update: Just got back from having the glass replaced by Webasto. It appears the leak is not coming from the sunroof as they tested by pouring water around the channel whilst the roof was open, there are four drains in each of the corners and each has a tube that runs down the door pillars to the outside (inner fenders or wings for UK guys) the back drains come out near the rear wheels. All were functioning. I now suspect the leak is occuring from the front fender as this was replaced after the Wife clipped a concrete bollard. Looks like a hose test while I have the carpets out to find the source.
BTW, Great service at Webasto, they replaced the glass panel in around 20 minutes and realligned, new seal etc.
Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
thanks for the update.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I now suspect the leak is occuring from the front fender as this was replaced after the Wife clipped a concrete bollard. Looks like a hose test while I have the carpets out to find the source.

Fingers crossed.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Is windshield sealed properly? I doubt the front fender is responsible for a leak inside the car :-\
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i have the same brand and model sun roof in my car,its not getting wet inside.  :scared: none of the i30's with a sun roof are factory fitted,they are all aftermarket.  :wink:  the dealer sends your car to a sun roof fitter and then charges you almost double the price for doing nothing,other than dropping off the car to the sun roof fitter.  :mad: i had my sun roof fitted by the same guy my dealer was going to use pre delivery,but i got it fitted after wards and got it for half the price.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

i have the same brand and model sun roof in my car,its not getting wet inside. 

As i30CRDI mentioned, there is a recall for that model of sunroof :exclaim:
https://sunroofcheck.com.au/index.php

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks babis.  :goodjob: :mrgreen:  my sun roof is in that bracket of serial number.  :sweating:  I'm off to find out what to do next.  :mad:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

my sun roof is in that bracket of serial number.  :sweating:  I'm off to find out what to do next.  :mad:
Great service at Webasto, they replaced the glass panel in around 20 minutes and realligned, new seal etc.
Steve: :cool:
But just to be on the safe side; carry one of these with you, in case it rains :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my sun roof is in that bracket of serial number.  :sweating:  I'm off to find out what to do next.  :mad:
Great service at Webasto, they replaced the glass panel in around 20 minutes and realligned, new seal etc.
Steve: :cool:
But just to be on the safe side; carry one of these with you, in case it rains :lol:
:P :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm booked in next Saturday morning to have the glass in my sun roof replaced at no cost,thanks to the info in this thread.  :goodjob:  in the link that babis posted it has a claim form to fill out,at the end of the claim it tells you to contact the installer.  :goodjob: :goodjob:  apparently the glass isn't the rite shape and it COULD leak.  :scared:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Actually, i30CRDI posted the link AND the info :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks i30crdi.  :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm booked in next Saturday morning to have the glass in my sun roof replaced at no cost,thanks to the info in this thread.  :goodjob:  in the link that babis posted it has a claim form to fill out,at the end of the claim it tells you to contact the installer.  :goodjob: :goodjob:  apparently the glass isn't the rite shape and it COULD leak.  :scared:
i had the glass section in the sunroof replaced in the above recall for free. the glass is the problem in that its not the rite shape. the tracks that are glued to the glass don't hold on properly and it can leak or in the worst situation can actually fly off.  :scared: :disapp: but its all good now.  :goodjob: :mrgreen: thanks to i30crdi and babis for the info.  :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal