i30 Owners Club

Aircon not working

Wke · 8 · 3869

Offline Wke

• 1st Gear
my i30CW is just a bit over 2 years and the aircon failed.  I had to pay € 200 to do a regass because regassing isn't a part of the warranty.  According to the garage they had 5 other I30 the same week to regass.  With my previous car I never had aircon problems, it was 10 years old and never needed a regass.  At the garage they said it's part of the normal maintenance, every 2 year you need to regass the aircon.

2 years is just too soon to have this kind of problem ... I suppose this is a) a design failure and b) bad service from my dealer.  Does anyone know about a small leakage in the aircon system or experience the same problem?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Wke.. I think Shambles had a couple of problems with his Air Con but not a common fault reported on here :-\
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Wke.

Dazz is right - my dealership caused my problem but wouldn't admit it (no gas meant the magnetic clutch wouldn't operate the compressor). However, they replaced the condensor unit (eventually) and that seems to have cured whatever leak they'd caused.

It's not unheard of, though, to need a regass from time to time. I think it all depends on how much use is made of the aircon; some say you need to run it for 10 minutes a week to keep the seals in good condition, others say to just use it when you need it. Is it hot in Belgium right now?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
 :whsaid:
I mean the one saying that you need to run it for 10 minutes a week, not the other.

EDIT: In Greece where we use the air-con 9+ months a year, i've never heard for a failed car air-con (cross fingers)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I think you are lucky if your car never needs regassing. Most manufacturers recommend between 2 and 3 years depending natural leakage of system.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
^ My other car is 13 yrs old and air-con still works fine under 40oC. Can't say the same about the car though :lol:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Noticed my aircon had also stopped working last week. Light came on but no cold air or change in engine revs. Regassed at no charge from UK dealer under warranty, seems OK now. There seems to be a few warranty inconsistencies around.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
loss of aircon gas would be caused by a fault somewhere in the aircon system,a fault is repaired under warranty.  :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal