i30 Owners Club

Auto Transmission - When car in "P" park position ......

alan2938 · 32 · 12109

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Auto Transmission - When car in "P" park position ..... and car is stationary,

is there any need to set the hand brake?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I personally would assume not, however, I wouldn't mind betting that if you asked a lawyer he would say that the parking brake must be applied......   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would still be using the Handbrake as well (as I do in my Camry Hybrid..)  :cool:

Edit: did  asearch on google.. here is just one discussion there are lots more..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-154682.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've always put on the handbrake/parkbrake with both manual and automatic. I'm sure that its law  in Australia anyway.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I use the handbrake just as I do when driving my manual. My daughter doesn't in spite of me telling her she should........

I work on the theory that NOT using it puts a strain on the parking pin, especially if you're on any kind of incline. Also, if someone bumps your car while parked, having the handbrake applied should hopefully prevent damage to the transmission.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission11.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
definitely, i know my car rolls if i don't - at least on inclines anyway
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Also, if someone bumps your car while parked, having the handbrake applied should hopefully prevent damage to the transmission.

And not just that but everything from the wheels to the transmission also.

My tip: always use the handbrake, why wouldn't you?
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Also, if someone bumps your car while parked, having the handbrake applied should hopefully prevent damage to the transmission.

And not just that but everything from the wheels to the transmission also.

My tip: always use the handbrake, why wouldn't you?

Absolutely agree. I can't imagine why you wouldn't use it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Actually I have to confess...

While in Korea (of all places) you know how you see those flat open, crowded parking areas (usually found under large appartment blocks). On occassion we would find our car parked in by another and the common practice was to simply push their car out of the way. When ever we were parked in, the driver of that car had left the car in neutral - handbrake off, for it to be pushed to one side. I'm pretty certain on one occassion we had our car moved when the girls we were travelling with "double parked".

They explained this procedure to me when I suggested they use the handbrake before leaving the car.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would suggest you adopt the following:

Car in N. Handbrake on. Foot off brake (test the handbrake) then change to P. This will reduce the stress on the transmission (that clunk and slight roll foward you feel when you just use the transmission is not good).

So in short, yes you should apply the handbrake, whilst it can assist should the brake fail (which is unlikley once it has been applied and tested) it is not designed for this purpose and use in that mannor can only serve to shorten the life of the (very expensive) transmission.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
you don't always need to use a handbrake, i've known people that used a block of wood, with a hole in it with length of rope attached . the idea is to throw the wood under rear or front wheel to stop car rolling :rofl:
but the hyundai i30 hand brake works fine so why would'nt you use it? i think Park is only a fail safe, but if car moves and the auto park fork has to stop car rolling can eventually damage park fork. if you always park on a flat & no chance of other cars ever contacting your car might be ok. but as i said why don't you want to use the hand brake?

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I agree always use the handbrake. :goodjob:

As Daz said he always uses the handbrake, you just cant get it back off after he has put it on  :rolleyes:

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
It is interesting, I didn't realise that it was actually a law in Australia to have it on.  I always use the handbrake just out of habit but it would be interesting to see how many people don't use it and what a police officer might nab you for?

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Wow, I didn't expect all theses replies to my question.

I will apply the handbrake for the sake of safety.

Many thanks for your interesting replies.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is interesting, I didn't realise that it was actually a law in Australia to have it on.  I always use the handbrake just out of habit but it would be interesting to see how many people don't use it and what a police officer might nab you for?

Whilst I am working off the top of my head (with 6 nights of nightwork behind me) I can only think of one relevant law in regards to leaving a vehicle, but that is in regards to locking it.

However, if the vehicle rolls down the hill and smashes into another vehicle, you could be looking at 'drive vehicle without due care' for your failure to apply the brake, as it would be deemed that applying the brake would be what 'a reasonable and prudent' driver would do.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
For our Aussie members the Australian Road Rules say:

(2) Before leaving the vehicle, the driver must apply the parking
brake effectively or, if weather conditions (for example,
snow) would prevent the effective operation of the parking
brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in
another way.

In the UK, Rule 239 says:

•you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Rusty .. you are good at finding that sort of $hit stuff  :goodjob:

Edit: That rule relates to everyone but Julia Gillard .. She likes to "move forward"  :rofl:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^ :rofl:

Look at that. An emu with boobs.  :P

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
For our Aussie members the Australian Road Rules say:

(2) Before leaving the vehicle, the driver must apply the parking
brake effectively or, if weather conditions (for example,
snow) would prevent the effective operation of the parking
brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in
another way.

Isn't it also written in our rules that when parked on an incline, the front wheels must be turned in to face the curb.?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Isn't it also written in our rules that when parked on an incline, the front wheels must be turned in to face the curb.?

Not as far as I know, but happy to stand corrected....  :neutral:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

i don't know if it's a 'law' but it is a safety feature that is recommended. it prevents the car from rolling straight forward and gathering too much momentum if the brake fails. instead it will move into the curb.

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Hopefully without moving too far off topic, I have another question.  :whistler:

When you put on your handbrake, do you push in the button and pull, or just pull it up and let the ratchet click?
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I always push the button, I hate that ratchet sound  :mad:

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
My experience, 1) do not use handbrake when the car is at home, 2)but always use it when the car is out of house(garage).
1)everyday the car will stay home for over 10 hours, using handbrake could increase the fatigue effect on the tighten function to brake discs.
2)use handbrake when parking outside, could protect the transmission system in case the car was hit or pushed/moved.
However, it's the good habit by following beerman's instruction to use it. I always do it that way. (and push the button to pull handbrake)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The ratchet click on the i30 is nowhere near as loud as on some cars i've had. And I generally don't use the button as I pull the lever up slowly. I hate it when people "reef" the lever up. THAT can't be good for the mechanism.  Having said that, I also tend to rest my thumb on the button without actually pushing it in so that probably keeps it quiet, too.
And I find I subconsciously assess where I've parked, so only pull it on super tight if I'm on a steepish hill.
I've never had to replace a stretched handbrake cable in one of my cars even when I was doing handbrake turns in motorkhanas so I doubt there's going to be a problem using the handbrake when you're parked all day.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Hopefully without moving too far off topic, I have another question.  :whistler:

When you put on your handbrake, do you push in the button and pull, or just pull it up and let the ratchet click?

push the button..and never pull up all the way (never get it down again  :p)

lindlake
i never use my hand brake  unless i am on a hill in my hilux and i30 that is what the park position is for :wacko:

Offline Jack

• 2nd Gear
  • Sun always shine in NQ, well most of the time..

• au Australia
      Condon, near Townsville, Qld

• I may be older but not slower.
    • Smokie.ws
The handbrake is also an emergency brake if needed.

I have needed it a couple of times over the years, especially in older cars like a Mini I had when the brakes failed coming into an intersection. Pushed the button in and applied the handbrake which slowed the car down enough to get around the corner. Gee, I was great driver when I was younger...  :whistler:

What is that saying.. The older I get, the faster I was????
  • SX Auto Hatch

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i never use my hand brake  unless i am on a hill in my hilux and i30 that is what the park position is for :wacko:

the handbrake backs up the transmission, incase it pops out of park(and cars have been known to do it)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal