i30 Owners Club

Does Hyundai recommend any diesel additives ?

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Does Hyundai recommend any diesel additives ?

If members use diesel additives,  what are your views?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Pip
Just curious, is it supposedly good enough for you to use (as a fellow sceptic - apologies if I have misjudged you), and if these things are so good, why are they not mainstream?

I have no knowledge at all but I do wonder why some of the best kept secrets are not more universally used by the major players. Is it a commercial reason or is it just snake oil?

Having said that... I'm really starting to think that some engine oil products are moving away from absolute protection towards more marketable aims such as greater economy and less polution.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Guess I am a bit of a sceptic but that doesn't always stop me trying things out.
I ran a Nulon oil additive for pretty much the life of my previous car so was happy enough to try some of this out in my i30 and after 4-5 thousand K's I believe the engine run's slightly quieter, I could be imagining that though..lol.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/oil-additives/
http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/proof/

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Here un Uk I don't bother with additives.

If you believe all the fuel companies advertising about our fuels then additives are already in them and no need to add more.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I ran a fuel aditive, was made by Wynnes was just Diesel fuel additive.  but have not used anything for the past year. just runing on the local suppyers Vortex Diesel seem to keep Betsy happy. but now she is 95,000k she flys.
i originaly was looking for aditives to stop algea groth in fuel tank as no one wants that it's bad news. thats another reason i like to stick with the one local servo if possible as know they have clean tanks.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If my memory serves me correctly....you do not need additives in your fuel as the fuel companies put their own additives in there....if you want more bang out of your system with a diesel...then you look at the motor , not the fuel....if you put an additive in for any water / condensation, then your tank must be sitting there for a while(to stop this, fill the tank to the brim if leaving for a long time) or you have gone to a garage when they have being filling up and the crap on the bottom of the tank has being stirred up. But having said that..there are some nice oil additives around that help to better the original oil

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
when you look through, the owners manual or service manual u get with the car, at one of the services for diesel ( or could be petrol or both? ) i remember seeing hyundai injection cleaner used. this would be a fuel aditive. but like Neptune said i rely on the Caltex Vortex diesel to keep injectors  clean

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Thanks for the information.

I have added some super concentrated............

cost about £7  (UK)

States: 0 to 60 Cetane Booster, helps maximise performance by

increasing the cetane number of diesel by up to 2 numbers.

Whilst helping to keep the injectors clean.

Increase fuel economy

Compensates for the lack of lubricity of low sulphur fuels.

I shall have to wait and see if I notice any difference.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The performance side increase you will probably not noticed as it is very minimal and a before and after dyno would tell you this. This is a ploy from aftermarket companies to sell a product to the enthusiast driver to get more bang for your bucks. What they fail to tell you is that it also needs to work with the type of oil you have and other accessories to make your machine go faster. Fast Four magazine many years ago did an indepth experiment on fuel additives that were on the market. The results showed that even though one or two did what  they proclaim to do.......you the driver could not feel the change,

I also think that if something cleans your injectors , then you are going to get better mileage than running around with dirty injectors

As for the lubricity....the fuel companies take care of this at  the pump...if there was a problem with low sulfer fuels, the problems would have shown up and the fuel companies would need to correct this

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Neptune,

Thanks, I think this could be a marketing ploy, and it is expensive

additive to say the least. Just trying this product as  a "one off" to

see if I can  see any improvement.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal