i30 Owners Club

Steering locked while motor running

km_566 · 14 · 3917

Offline km_566

• 1st Gear
Hi there

I recently purchased a 2009 auto petrol i30.

After some grinding moving from drive to reverse I took the car to the dealer. The driver shaft was on its last legs and has today been replaced under warranty.

After collecting the car and driving around 10k, I pulled up and went to reverse the car. On doing so, everything locked up, steering locked, ESP light came on along with others on the dash. I turned the car off, and it took me a few moments before I could restart.  From there all seemed fine.

I am not mechanically (or electrically) minded in the slightest. Does anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if it may be related to the work done on it today, or the car batter may need replacing...

Thanks for any suggestions  :)

km

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi km .. Welcome to the club..

I would be going back to the repairer and getting that checked out (pretty big coincidence and not something that regularly occurs in an i30 !!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome km.  :razz: are you 100% sure the motor hadn't stalled when the steering went hard and a lot of lights lit up the dash?  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline km_566

• 1st Gear
Thanks guys

I am confident that the engine was running. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and report the issue and see what they have to say.  I am a little concerned from a safety point of view, but this has not happened before and the car was stationary when it did happen.

Cheers
Km

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Km, welcome aboard.
Hope you get this problem sorted.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Welcome....

Very strange this one, I'll be interested in the dealers comments, please report back for us to ponder.  I hope he has some good news for you.

Asa

Offline km_566

• 1st Gear
Well....I was asked to bring the car back to the dealer and they ran the computer over it. Now they have discovered a fault with the power steering and steering column is to be replaced.

I hope this is just a blip in a long and happy relationship with my i30...needless to say I am a little nervous...!

Km

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Ah right, I think I recall someone else having the column replaced????   memory probs <sigh>

Thank heavens for the warranty uh?

Let us know how it all works out

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure it will be fine after the changeover km  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Stab in the dark here....

When they replaced the item they probably never did a full diagnostic check.

The fault may not have been what they replaced but as this is a known issue they just assumed it was the cause and replaced..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
because of his faulty steering column,I'm curious as to what country KM is in and his cars build origin :neutral:  I'm glad your fault was found fast and is being fixed.  :goodjob: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline km_566

• 1st Gear
Eye30 - do you mean the original issue with the drive shaft? It was a pretty big coincidence that the 2 issues occurred back to back.

2i30s - I am in Australia

Hope to get car back today...

Offline jaydee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
G'day folks. I purchased a new i30 SR three weeks ago. In the first 10 days I had the problrm of the power steering locking up about five times. On each occasion the steering was working when I fired up the motor, but when I reversed out of my garriage the EPS light came on and steering locked up. I turned off the ignition, then fired it up again. This solved the problem temporarily. At time of first service  the dealer recaibrated the steering, resetting everything, and advised that the problem lay in a sensor. It worked as it should for about ten days then failed again. This time it happened away from home, but again while reversing out of a parking spot. This time turning the motor on and off didn't help. In addition, the ESC/ESP light came on as well as the EPS. I managed to get the car back the 5kms to the dealers (bit like driving a 1950's Mack truck with a tiny steering wheel fitted!). Yesterday I had a new steering column fitted. The dealer advised that the problem related to a sensor, and that this had caused the electric motor to fail. Not a good introduction to the ranks of i30 owners I'm afraid.
I hope this info helps

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi jaydee (I can understand the sad face now...) Hopefully only happy days ahead  :goodjob:.. But not a good start for sure  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal