i30 Owners Club

Constant Headlight Blows

Duckman · 316 · 117301

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
Voltage spikes eh? Dealer seems to think rough country roads make them blow. As if. Think I've had one bulb blow in other cars  in previous 12 years of living here.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Did you try using long-life ones? I also had few blows with +50% bulbs, but the Philips Premium +30% lasted for at least 6 months.

With long-life, I mean something like:

Osram Light@Day
http://www.osram.com.au/osram_au/Consumer_Products/Automotive_Lighting/See_and_be_seen/LIGHTDAY/index.html

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Although I don't fully understand it, one member said their problem with headlight blowing was that an earthing wire had come loose.

But why do you need an earth wire in a DC car?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have a 2011 diesel CW and it's blown 6 headlight globes in 12 months four of which have been replaced by the dealer. Going back for a complete autoelectical check up next week.

Never seen globes blow like this.

So far the dealer has said there is nothing wrong and it's probably just bad luck but it's gone on too long.

Bad luck be buggered! 6 globes in 12 months points to an issue which should be fixed under warranty. If this dealer can't fix it then it's time to try another......or contact Hyundai direct and have a whinge.... :mad:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Just on the topic....Last weekend I changed a blown bulb...it was an original and had done 41.000KM. We drive with the headlights on during the day, which would add up to about  2 hrs a day 10-11 days a fortnight, plus night use.
 The other original bulb went at 34 K...I didn't replace them with anything extravagant.,... just bulbs from a the local auto shop.' So they seem ok and  time will tell.
 I figured with the poor run that so many have had from "up market" bulbs... I will be happy with "stockers"for now.... :D

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Repco had H4 (+30) globes for an amazing $9 for two. I posted a link then remembered that the i30 uses H1 and H7  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
My car is at the dealers now for the second day. They claim to have found an electrical fault. I'm hopeful.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Keep us posted  :goodjob:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Just replaced seventh low beam H7 in 9 months. Dealership seems to have no idea. They have tried a number of earth fixes and claimed a voltage drop from behind the dash.

Hyundai want me to use some heavier duty, less bright bulbs. I have tried Osram & Philips bulbs to no avail.

Their long life bulb lasted longer, just under 4 months, but still most unsatisfactory.

Come on Hyundai admit you have a problem, (Google i30 headlight blown) and sort out a fix. Perhaps even a recall with it happening so often.

I would put in HID kit if it was legal, but it seems it isn't in Australia.

Do Hyundai use HID kit in any other country?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
There are few services in Slovenia that give 2 year warranty on globes -> the same warranty as you get for all genuine Hyundai parts. There's this user, who had them changed (for free) on the service, twice in 1,5 y. Most services don't do that, but there are few that do.

Xenon kit. I had it for some time, it's really great, but it's illegal here. In some countries it isn't, but I think Australia is on the "illegal" list  :cool:

And one more thing.. From what I've read so far, there is a problem because the lights are "on", while we are starting the engine. I know, of course we have it, but if you turn on the lights after you've started the engine, they will probably last 2x longer. I've read few people tried that and they went from 4 to 9 months (changing bulbs). They said it's because of the "el. current" that "hits" the bulbs while the car is getting started. You know that your lights stay on while you are doing that. Many cars (including some other Hyundai's) turn the lights off, while the car is being started -> you turn your key to "on" - the lights come on, you are starting the car - they go off, you've started the car - they go on again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Many cars (including some other Hyundai's) turn the lights off, while the car is being started -> you turn your key to "on" - the lights come on, you are starting the car - they go off, you've started the car - they go on again.

I wonder if anyone (on here) could work out a mod for the Diesel (in particular) to do this  :idea:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They said it's because of the "el. current" that "hits" the bulbs while the car is getting started.

Interesting that you say the lights stay on when starting.

If my radio/cd player and heater are on, ignition off, when I turn the key to start the car the radio/cd player and heater turn off. 

They then comes back on once the car has started.

I'll have to check but I'm sure my lights go off as well.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
They said it's because of the "el. current" that "hits" the bulbs while the car is getting started.

If my radio/cd player and heater are on, ignition off, when I turn the key to start the car the radio/cd player and heater turn off. 

They stay on, 100% ;) Everything else turns off, but not the lights. I remember that I liked that when I had xenon kit in, as we know turning on/off xenon lights quickly isn't good for them, so it seemed like a great thing back then.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

OK I've been out in the dark.

Engine running.
Turned all lights on
Turned engine off and took key out
Opened and closed door
Put key in, lights came on
started engine and the lights stayed ON (just as accim said)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Since this topic has hotted up, we have been turning the lights off when parking the car, like the "old days", :rolleyes: ( so much for technological advances).....then turn them on once the car has started.... so far so good...but I think we are still in the normal "window", when the bulbs would have been ok.. unless you are DRUGGIST, what a bad run..
 Time will tell and these bulbs are just stock H7 bulbs from the local Auto shop, nothing flash.

Did we establish if the Xenon are really illegal in Oz ?   :confused:
Cheers
  Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

OK I've been out in the dark.

Engine running.
Turned all lights on
Turned engine off and took key out
Opened and closed door
Put key in, lights came on
started engine and the lights stayed ON (just as accim said)
Interesting. I'll check that myself.
Fortunately i don't do a lot of stop Start driving at night anyway. Tend to drive somewhere and park for the night. But I also think I still manually turn my lights off when I stop. Old habits die hard.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
eye30
started engine and the lights stayed ON
that is how it works in my car too, but the light dims a little for the time the engine is being started, but this is normal.
I think if the lights goes off while the engine is being started than one has to measure the voltage of accumulator.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fortunately i don't do a lot of stop Start driving at night anyway. Tend to drive somewhere and park for the night. But I also think I still manually turn my lights off when I stop. Old habits die hard.

Hi Trev,

It doesn't seem to be such an issue with the Petrol versions .. It is the diesel that seems to have the voltage surges (particularly when starting the car)

I found in our previous diesel that the stock globes although not bright enough seemed to cope ok with the apparent surge but the Higher performance ones didn't  :disapp:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Hi Trev,

It doesn't seem to be such an issue with the Petrol versions .. It is the diesel that seems to have the voltage surges (particularly when starting the car)

I found in our previous diesel that the stock globes although not bright enough seemed to cope ok with the apparent surge but the Higher performance ones didn't  :disapp:

Ok. Thanks Dazz. Mine dim when you turn the engine over but as I said, I normally turn them off manually.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Finally got Hyundai Australia to admit their is a problem with a car blowing headlights regularly.

My local dealer, Barry Smith, Pennant Hills took my car for 2 days, gave me a loan car, and "removed and replaced alternator and tested all OK" under warranty.

Fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fingers crossed that the issue is now resolved.

:whsaid:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
constipated

By earth wire, they mean the -ve wire of the battery which usually is grounded th the car chassis.

Elle b

Imported cars drive in OZ with HID fitted, so they're not illegal. What is illegal is the temperature that they glow at. I think anything over 6000k is considered illegal, they tend to glow blue / purple. I want to put some 6000's on my (wife's) car soon. Maybe our resident rule book looker upper can clarify this for us  :) :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
constipated

By earth wire, they mean the -ve wire of the battery which usually is grounded th the car chassis.

Elle b

Imported cars drive in OZ with HID fitted, so they're not illegal. What is illegal is the temperature that they glow at. I think anything over 6000k is considered illegal, they tend to glow blue / purple. I want to put some 6000's on my (wife's) car soon. Maybe our resident rule book looker upper can clarify this for us  :) :)

Hopefully these links will help....... :)

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

ADR 13/00

ADR 77/00

ADR 78/00

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Rusty .. Never simple is it  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Rusty .. Never simple is it  :undecided:

You're not wrong.... :)

I took one look at those pdf's and saw blah blah blah blah blah......

Got a headache just thinking about it. :-[

Anyhow, the story is, if your aftermarket HID lights aren't self-levelling and you don't have headlight washers, then it ain't legal....  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:10:55 by rustynutz »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So... sounds like we should "go for it" then  :lol: :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I ran 100w/90w H4's for almost the entire time I had my old Barina and never once got pulled up for an inspection so it may be worth taking a punt.... :winker:

But then, HID lights are probably a bit more noticeable than my H4's.... :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They don't seem very vigilent down here with stuff like that.. more concerned with Speeding and drink driving (how it should be) ...

For example I don't know of anyone getting booked for driving with fog lights on during the day .. (touch wood)  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Chaps, If HID globes are made with the arc in the correct spot, eg same place as the filament, how can there be excess glare if the reflector is made to accept the arc / filament at that position and move according to road conditions.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I could swear on occassions when on the bike I can feel heat coming off some people's headlights.

Am i going mad?
Is my bike just radiating potent V4 gases?

Or do some headlights actually do this... I can feel it on the back of my legs.
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal