i30 Owners Club

Clock on radio gaining time

sleeksr · 41 · 15414

Offline sleeksr

• 1st Gear
  • 2011 sleek silver SR Hatch

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Has anyone else noticed their clock on their radio gaining time? My i30 SR gains about 1 1/2mins a week which is carp considering its a month old. My mates I30 trophy does it too and its only 6 months old. Anyone else noticed this? Can something be done under warranty?  :disapp:
  • 2011 SR Hatch

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Has anyone else noticed their clock on their radio gaining time? My i30 SR gains about 1 1/2mins a week which is carp considering its a month old. My mates I30 trophy does it too and its only 6 months old. Anyone else noticed this? Can something be done under warranty?  :disapp:

Mine loses about one minute a month and always has.
Meh. I'm retired. What's a minute or two here and there? :happydance:

Actually, all jokes aside. I've never had a digital clock in a car which maintained the correct time.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Mine gains about 5 minutes per week which is a pain. Gee I haven't seen any digital watch be out by more than a few seconds for several years now even the "two bob" ones.

My local dealer also gave me the brush off warranty wise suggesting that 5 minutes per week was acceptable. Not to me.

Would really like more replies to this thread so that I can escalate the issue with Hyundai.

Thanks

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Like surferdude, I never had a car clock that kept accurate time either. Learnt to treat it as "educated guess" and adjust it once in a blue moon  :eek:
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline spanishmike

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Cartagena Spain
The clock in my car has always been accurate since I set it to manual

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mine is gaining a similar amount of time as stated here. Definitely annoying. I'm surprised since we all have the same audio units that some people say their's is going slow.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine in the Trophy gains time as well, and I have never had a digital clock in the car gain time....even my Bali Rolex holds time..... :whistler:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

I am amazed at this....  My car is eighteen month old now and the clock is spot on, to such a fine degree that when the time signal is sent from Rugby (UK obviously) the clock moves the the time right on the dot.  I thought aqll of our cars had RDS ????     Obviously not, or, is it that not all countries broadcast RDS.

Anyhow, I am sorry to here you folks are having problems.

My wrist watch also receives the Greenwich time signal from Rugby so I am always dead on time, Oops, that's the old undertakers joke isn't it  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Set the clock to radio time.  This uses the radio time signal to keep accuracy.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

That would be my advice too. Mine's deadly accurate and keeps on par with my Waveceptor wristwatch. In countries that broadcast RDS, I'd say change the settings to use it.

My wrist watch also receives the Greenwich time signal from Rugby ...

Your signal will be coming from Anthorn in Cumbria ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I don't think we  have RDS here in Australia.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My car is circa 1445 days old = 2,080,800 minutes and is spot on with the time...

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

I'll have to check if I have that option on mine. :)  It currently loses a couple of minutes per month.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
I do not care if the time in my car is accurate or not as I do have a wristwatch and mobile phone to check the time.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Mine looses time as well. The only time I find it annoying is if I'm listening to the iPod (which is nearly all of the time) and want to listen to a news broadcast to get traffic information, I sometime miss it.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Finally got my clock set up with the auto option. Needed to get the manual out to find what to do.

At last I'll know it is showing the proper time rather having to guess how slow it is and add a few minutes on. :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Finally got my clock set up with the auto option. Needed to get the manual out to find what to do.

Could have popped down the coast to Squires Gate and I'd have done it for you :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Digital clocks work on a timing Quartz crystal which oscillates usually @ 32768 times per second. Counters divide these oscillations into seconds & then a circuit drives the clock display. Normally the crystal can be trimmed to be more accurate using a variable trimming capacitor built into the circuit. Sadly, it seems that this circuit doesn't have one and accuracy is determined by how well the crystal was manufactured, a bit like fitting a tyre to a rim but not bothering to balance it. If you have RDS this will compensate daily & correct as required. We don't have this in Australia so I'll be watching my 2 I30 clocks in future. I have a Pulsar wristwatch, no RDS,  & the time variation + 5 seconds OVER 1 YEAR, HOW ABOUT THAT :exclaim: :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
Our I30 is 4 1/2 months old and the clock has gained over 10 minutes in this period. I don't think it is acceptable, our Kia Rio had an accurate clock and the one in my Renault Kangoo van is accurate from when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
prompted by this thread I decided to check my car clock against the Greenwich time signal emitted from Rugby and damn it not accurate, it is three seconds slow............

Well, that's it, the car will have to go back.  I want a new one  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
prompted by this thread I decided to check my car clock against the Greenwich time signal emitted from Rugby and damn it not accurate, it is three seconds slow............

That's the problem you see. Your time signal (just like mine) is coming from Anthorn in Cumbria, not Rugby any more :P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
my old Betsy 08 CRDi SX clock was always spot on, also easy to change from DS & back. but Crystal 2011 CRDi SLX is gaining time think she is 7 minutes fast now & i still can't work out how you adjust the time on her. can anyone help please?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'll try from memory. Press setup. Select clock turning the folder knob to move to menu items. Press to select clock. The time displays & you use folder to change time then press folder to set the time. Hope I got it right.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

That's the problem you see. Your time signal (just like mine) is coming from Anthorn in Cumbria, not Rugby any more :P

Oh really, they've moved it without asking me first...  bugger  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'll try from memory. Press setup. Select clock turning the folder knob to move to menu items. Press to select clock. The time displays & you use folder to change time then press folder to set the time. Hope I got it right.  :happydance:
m8 this new blue tooth , has replaced that set up button with a phone so you can use the blue tooth with your phone, problem is they don't seem to have added clock adjustment instuctions, and the blue tooth sound system manual that comes separate to owners manual don't have instuctions o9n clock settings.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My book set includes the radio manual for the bluetooth version. From memory press and hold the volume button and turn to change setting options. It's either under the settings menu or a menu item of its own. Once in time set mode, turn the volume nob to change the highlighted section, push to highlight next item to change. Let me know how my memory performed Lakes  :winker:
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My book set includes the radio manual for the bluetooth version. From memory press and hold the volume button and turn to change setting options. It's either under the settings menu or a menu item of its own. Once in time set mode, turn the volume nob to change the highlighted section, push to highlight next item to change. Let me know how my memory performed Lakes  :winker:
Thanks Hati i'll go & try that now let you know what happens, thanks again.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hati owe you a beer m8 :)
I just went down to garage and set clock to right time, also found the blue tooth radio manual, looked in it b4 but only at the index. then after looking inside i found the instruction as you posted. after you have done it it's easy. well good to have clock set right & know how to reset for DS this sunday. i have a good gold watch. that keeps perfect time, but as i do 4 hour non stop trips in this car, i like to check time quick just a quick look at dash tells me and i have all the trip info on my GPS screen , like average speed trip time moving time, distance to go, distance traveled & the GPS speedo.  Crystal has 6,600k now did 900k this past weekend & will do another 900k this weekend maybe more. she loved the long trip this past weekend, she is runin g stronger all the time. love the 6 speed over the 5 speed as that 5th really gives you an edge on a big hill, i got around a Golf FSI quick in 5th on a real big hill in overtaking lane. if i had Betsy i could not have overtook him as 4th would have been too many rev's & 5th would have been on low side to excellerate quick. i also saw L / 100k drop to 2.8l / 100k & sit on 3.5l/100k then settle at 4.1L /100k for the trip so was real happy with that. now back in Sydney traffic gone up to 4.7L/ 100k still great especially as diesel is now cheaper than E10 & has been all week here.
after reading this you know how much i love this little diesel!
cheers m8
& thanks yet again.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
No worries mate, glad it worked :)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England