Surferdude · 325 · 81554

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :happydance: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, you are still paying them off, but that's certainly in the right direction. Don't forget, that days are getting longer and summer is coming, yay  :D
Yes but I look at it as an investment. If I took $10,500 and invested it on the money market, where could I get a guaranteed safe return of 20%.
We have eliminated an annual bill of around $1700 and are returning another $500 (projected) credit.
So $2200 per annum return on $10,500.
Rounded to 21% ROI.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Lucky people in QLD getting rebated on Gross KWH, makes a huge difference to the investment equation & yes 20% is better than 3.9 recently offered to a relative by the Commonwealth bank, what a joke :fum:

Now that you have some history, would you like to project when the final payment will occur.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The way we are going because we only paid $3100 for our 2KW system (barring problems) we should be close to covering the cost in 3 years  :happydance:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lucky people in QLD getting rebated on Gross KWH, makes a huge difference to the investment equation & yes 20% is better than 3.9 recently offered to a relative by the Commonwealth bank, what a joke :fum:

Now that you have some history, would you like to project when the final payment will occur.  :question:
I don't understand. :-[ What final payment?
But if you mean at what point will we have got our money back (after which it's ALL profit), I would have to also factor in electricity price rises over the next few years because our last year's annual bill of around $1700 would increase each year (except the current one where the State Gov't has frozen any hikes). Some pundits are suggesting 10% PLUS per annum increases over the next few years.
Thus............... 2012            $1700 + $500    = $2200
                        2013...........$1700  +$500     = $2200
                        2014...........$1870  + $500    = $2370
                        2015...........$2057  + $500    = $2557
We start 2016 at $9327 which leaves $1173 to recoup this year so finished about mid 2017.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, that was the answer I was looking for. Thanks, you're well on track  :goodjob2:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've been doing some research into Solar Panels for our house in Tassie.  It seems that if your system is less than 3kw, then the Supply rate is the same as the Feed rate.  Seems like Tassie is ahead of the rest of the states on this one. 

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just put another 3kw system onto the roof to bring mine up to 4kw in total, still getting the government super bonus, but have gone to AGL who pay .52 kw/h

The first system is already well into profit (well I got it for a couple of hundred dollars in a Qld Government hand out) it's been up there for years now.

Just discovered the new system can talk to the lap top by bluetooth. Happy days!

Can anyone tell me if their energy provider is deducting GST from their feed in amount. My current provider is doing this (well actually more than this), and it seems sus.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That doesn't sound right to me. On a normal bill, there is a GST "Charge", which means "I pay extra" so if they're paying you, how come "You receive less". It doesn't add up.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Probably because he wouldn't be registered as a business for GST purposes.  A similar thing would be selling a car privately, you don't pay GST, neither does the buyer.  But in a car yard (which would be registered for GST purposes) there is a component of GST.

Remember the GST goes to the Government, not the provider.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Probably because he wouldn't be registered as a business for GST purposes.  A similar thing would be selling a car privately, you don't pay GST, neither does the buyer.  But in a car yard (which would be registered for GST purposes) there is a component of GST.

Remember the GST goes to the Government, not the provider.

I don't care who gets it, only that it leaves my pocket.  :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've been doing some research into Solar Panels for our house in Tassie.  It seems that if your system is less than 3kw, then the Supply rate is the same as the Feed rate.  Seems like Tassie is ahead of the rest of the states on this one.

I'm sure Dazz would have that info for you.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just put another 3kw system onto the roof to bring mine up to 4kw in total, still getting the government super bonus, but have gone to AGL who pay .52 kw/h

I'm with AGL too & my rebate went up, last bill, yea :goodjob2:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. AGL here, too.
We pay 23.7c/kw/hr (just went up from 20.7 c)
Plus GST.

We get paid 52c/kw/hr for what goes back into the grid. No GST added, which is as Fatboy says.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is how it seems to work for us..  :goodjob:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
HI Guys.... Thought I would just add  a little info.
  I have a 5Kw system and were with AGL in NSW, but only getting the 28c FIT....but that was better than nothing...but since Sept 1st they have dropped their rate to 8 cents only, they say on account of the NSW Gov withdrawing the subsidy.
 Seems that no matter who you contact, there is no better rates available... :blubber: :blubber:
 Oh ! for the Qld FIT... no wonder your laughing...seems that the NSW Gov have really crueled the whole concept, which in turn has put many a business under pressure, with a number going under.
The solar industry in Germany, I believe is running second only to Auto manufacture....and that is a country with  much less sun than we have available.... Why are Gov's so short sighted.... :undecided:

Anyway.   Thats the story....just have to girn and bare it....any leads are most welcome.

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is crazy.. Gee I hope Tassie doesn't drop to 8c  :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
HI Guys.... Thought I would just add  a little info.
  I have a 5Kw system and were with AGL in NSW, but only getting the 28c FIT....but that was better than nothing...but since Sept 1st they have dropped their rate to 8 cents only, they say on account of the NSW Gov withdrawing the subsidy.
 Seems that no matter who you contact, there is no better rates available... :blubber: :blubber:
 Oh ! for the Qld FIT... no wonder your laughing...seems that the NSW Gov have really crueled the whole concept, which in turn has put many a business under pressure, with a number going under.
The solar industry in Germany, I believe is running second only to Auto manufacture....and that is a country with  much less sun than we have available.... Why are Gov's so short sighted.... :undecided:

Anyway.   Thats the story....just have to girn and bare it....any leads are most welcome.

Elle B

I was under the impression that FIT's on existing installations were guaranteed to 2020, otherwise who would invest in a capital expense without the ability to define the ROI, that would be silly. Surferdude is able to forecast his break even point projection in 2017 based on known factors. I think you need to investigate this further.  :(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't know a lot about it, other than they also changed the rates (downwards of course) over here in the west, but the ones who were already locked in at the higher rates kept those higher rates, otherwise it would be a breach of contract.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Yes guys,

Thanks for the thoughts.....They , AGL , sent out a letter saying that I was never originally entitled to the full 28 C FIT and that there was an error in their"billing system".. :confused:
they also said that they would be "Gracious"....and not ask for the repayment of the additional FIT creditied... :faint:

They said that the NSW Gov had alrady withdrawn the 20c subsidy Apl 2011, prior to my 'Hooking up"....
 Suffice to say, I am still looking into it...will discuss with Fair Trading and see what happens...

Not happy Jan!!!!    :'(

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If that's correct then they're within their rights unfortunately. I signed up at the 52c rate then it dropped to 46c but mine has actually increased. Note, we are only paid on net feed in not gross like lucky Surferdude.  :(

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@ElleB,
I have a mate in Merimbula who has solar and when I was down there in April he was telling me about Farry O'Barrell changing the FIT but because he had had his for some time he was safe (as are we).
So that would confirm what you have been told if you connected since then.
A shame and, as you say, terribly short-sighted of our governments but as you'll see back up in this thread, typically par for the course as far back as the early 2000's.

One cautionary tale at least for Queenslanders. If you are considering buying a house which has panels already fitted, the change to your name is considered a new connection so................back to 8c you go.
The State Gov't has at least agreed to have the situation reviewed in a couple of years  once they are on top of the major debt hanging over our heads.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

One cautionary tale at least for Queenslanders. If you are considering buying a house which has panels already fitted, the change to your name is considered a new connection so................back to 8c you go.

Yes, same in SA, and who is the big winner, they get your feed in & only pay 8c for it.  :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum:

So much for adding resale value to your property. :fum: :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just got our latest power bill (A$68 in credit) I pay some by Bpay each fortnight or so trying to pre-empt amount payable.. Total charges for the spring quarter = approx A$354  .. pretty happy with that as expecting about $400 after the recent (July) rate hike.

Reckon we've saved almost $1000 in 9 months which includes a winter quarter. Not bad considering our ten panel 2000W system only cost A$3100 installed. Just hope it stays reliable.

Be interesting to see the results (for the next quarter) if we get a warm dry summer as predicted  :razz:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Our power bill came today.
Total of $430.69 in credit now.
Since they went in.
$18.03  (not quite a full period of solar power)
$116.59 CR
$149.83 CR
$163.81 CR

Nice Christmas present.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What happens with that credit, can you redeem some to say pay your rego?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We can ask for a cheque. For a couple of reasons we are waiting until the next one in March before requesting we get paid.
After that we'll be chasing them every quarter.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Summer & long sunny days to come too, surferdude  :happydance:

Thanks too, Shambles  :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Gotta love that tax free cash.

What other investment pays such a good tax free dividend, which does not affect any Government payment (Family tax, pension etc).

It has to be the best investment decision one could make.

The heat and humidity have been quite feral the last week, and we have been smashing the Air Conditioners. I just did some calculations then and not only will we not have a bill, but we will get a few bucks back. Not bad for the period I would have expected a $500 plus bill, (which I would have had to earn $650 to pay).

These overcast hot humid days are killing my yield  :Pout:

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal