i30 Owners Club

new i30 trophy

kabukiman · 48 · 16667

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Bought this last week, picked it up today.

Had an unfortunate time with my old peugeot, which turned into a death trap (no amount of regular maintenance can prevent some of the problems old french cars will develop), and a brand new Ford Fiesta.  Put it this way, I will never ever, if I can help it, go near another Ford Motor Company product again.

I test drove an i30 before I bought the Fiesta but it was a tad bit more expensive back then for some reason I liked the Fiesta better.  I've been regretting not getting the i30 ever since and so I am extremely happy to have one of these parked outside now.

The trophy versions are absolute bargains at the moment here.  I bought this for the same price as a base model 2.0L

Drives well, doesn't take to 91RON fuel as well as I was told it would but that's okay, I'm used to filling up with premium.

any other trophy owners on here in Australia?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome  kabukiman

Here's to many k's of care free motoring given the experience with other cars...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I don't have a Trophy but I do have a white SLX.
Welcome to the club - I'm sure you'll enjoy your ownership.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome kubukiman..Yes the Trophy is great value and several of our Aussie members picked up a trophy first time they were offered a year or two ago (not sure how many are still regular visitors though)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Welcome aboard, I am sure you'll become a Hyundai tragic like the rest of us  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard.  :razz:  my 2 i30's aren't the trophy model,just the sx,but i do love them.  :mrgreen:
we only use premium 95 or 98 fuel in both and they love it.   :mrgreen: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Welcome aboard, I am sure you'll become a Hyundai tragic like the rest of us  :rofl:
tragic,enthusiast Asa,thank you very much.  :lol: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bit strange Trish's 2.0 CW goes fine on 91 unleaded

Offline marijan765

• 3rd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Trebisov

• Hyundai i30 1.4 T-GDi 103 kW
    • This is Slovakia.
 :welcome: kubukiman in this perfect society of people who can help you with everything you need.I joined this forum year ago and I am very thankful for a lot of tips and hints I have found here.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
but dazz,run better and go further on premium.  :winker:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Trish has only done 10,000kms in 16 months so probably not going to make a big difference to her  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Trish has only done 10,000kms in 16 months so probably not going to make a big difference to her  :goodjob:
good point dazz.  we do a bit more driving than Trish.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

That maybe so, Steve...but Hyundai says 91 unleaded so I'd expect it to run perfectly on it.

Offline Ibsgaard

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      6800 Varde
Congratulations, what a fine car, and the right colour :-)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome kabukiman,

Enjoy your car  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Congratulations on the purchase.

I came to Hyundai after only owning Falcons.

The difference is chalk and cheese.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
thanks guys.

Yeah at my price point I had the choice between the flat white or the flat red.  Red looks awesome but I'm more a white car sort of guy.  My pug was white too.  Just felt right.  I was aware back in 07 or 08 I think? there was the first trophy model.  I can tell why they sold out so fast now!

the fuel isn't really a problem.  I wasn't expecting it to run well on 91, even though I was told it would, and so it's no disappointment.  Not many cars I know of or have driven actually stomach it that well without missing or pinging occasionally.

So far the only gripe I have is the CD player screen.  I wish it had a feature to dull the brightness rather than having to tun it off at night.  If there is such a function I can't find it! help appreciated.

The bloke who said the difference between your falcons and this is like chalk and cheese, that's putting it politely mate! The hyundai dealers I have been to aren't staffed by rude pricks, it looks like they actually have pride in their work and brand.  The car doesn't feel like it's falling to bits as soon as I drive it out of the dealership either.

If anyone's driven a Ford Fiesta you might agree they handle like nothing else, but I didn't buy it for weekend drives, I use my car every day, and so far this looks like it will be much more reliable and dependable.

I found great online communities to help with my previous cars' problems, so I'm happy I;ve found this place for the i30!

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the first Trophy was 2009/10 .. You might have had some bad 91 fuel. The wife's CW is smooth and responsive on 91 down here .. I think white was a wise choice (less chance of fading if you are not one to polish and wax)  :winker:

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
Welcome. White trophy looks great. No problems with 91 RON fuel in 17000 ks for us.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I actually think you are correct and perhaps I got a less than fresh load of fuel.  I'll try my normal servo later one.

So far so good.  Car is excellent.  Don't like the OE headlight bulbs though (I had some super bright white halogens in my previous car) so far that's the only thing that looks like it will be changed.

I do wax my cars after most washes.  I find white cars are easier to keep clean, and they don't looka s crap with dirt all over them as metallic finishes (IMHO of course)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So far so good.  Car is excellent.  Don't like the OE headlight bulbs though (I had some super bright white halogens in my previous car) so far that's the only thing that looks like it will be changed.

Many, but not all of our members are a bit disappointed by the brightness and throw of the headlights. A few have had some improvement by adjusting them up a fraction (with one of the screws on the back)

You are lucky you have a petrol version as the diesels have a habit of blowing globes (particularly the high output ones)  :winker:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome aboard! :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Many, but not all of our members are a bit disappointed by the brightness and throw of the headlights. A few have had some improvement by adjusting them up a fraction (with one of the screws on the back)

You are lucky you have a petrol version as the diesels have a habit of blowing globes (particularly the high output ones)  :winker:

so I've read!

I find high output globes in both my previous vehicles never lasted as long as OE versions.

I find it annoying when other people's headlights aren't angled correctly and I'm satisfied mine are in a safe position atm so I'll probably just try some new globes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I find high output globes in both my previous vehicles never lasted as long as OE versions.

Yes they usually have a lower hours rating as low as 400 hours as compared to OEM around 1200 hours although Alan has mentioned some Phillips globes which offer the best of both worlds..(apparently) I'll try and find the thread...

See post #180 here..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6124.msg164248#msg164248

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
A few have had some improvement by adjusting them up a fraction (with one of the screws on the back)

Funny you should mention that, Daz...I cranked mine up 3 clicks the other day and I've found that has improved things..... :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A few have had some improvement by adjusting them up a fraction (with one of the screws on the back)

Funny you should mention that, Daz...I cranked mine up 3 clicks the other day and I've found that has improved things..... :goodjob:

:happydance:

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
been a week or so now

Car's awesome.  I've discovered the dimming function by the steering column, but it dims everything! If I have time I'll have a poke around and see how it's wired

Will angle up the driver's side headlight I've decided, just a little.  It won't get new bulbs until I can find a decent pair.

only other problem atm is a rattle behind the cd player in the center console somewhere.  Not a bother really though, the rest of the car is very solid and I'm loving it

I like that they give you a 5th alloy as a spare rather than a steelie.  Except I find it annoying it is bolted in face down so I can't easily check the air pressure at a servo without unbolting it

ehh

hyundai build a good car though!

I see Kia souls share the 2.0L, and the two companies share a lot of components.  Kia have upped their game heaps too.

Go Korea!  I said to a friend it's built that well I could put a toyota badge on it and nobody would pick it if they'd not seen an i30 before.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I might sound a bit bitter but I must say this thing is a million miles ahead of Ford quality wise.  They build terrible vehicles these days.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Many, but not all of our members are a bit disappointed by the brightness and throw of the headlights.
I'm probably in the minority, then.

I'm quite happy with mine. Now that it's heading into winter (the car's first) I'm driving to work in the dark and home in the dark (6.30am, 7pm), on a dark country road. There's a straight stretch which runs for 1.2km (I measured it). And the lights project most of the way along that stretch.

Of course, I could always do with MORE light, but who couldn't?
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Bought this last week, picked it up today.
Congrats and welcome.

The Trophy looks like it's spec'ed to SLX level. Would this be right? Maybe I should've waited, but then I was looking for a 6sp manual diesel. Dunno if that's available for that price point in the Trophy.

Whatever, it looks the goods. Happy i30'ing...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal