i30 Owners Club

Hello from Geelong

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Hi there.  My name is Vanessa and I'm in the market for a new car.  The i30 has caught my eye and I had a test drive of the diesel version of the SLX and I LOVED it!  Got a quote for $28,890, which I would like to finance over a 6 year period.

Now herein lies the problem...deciding on a colour!

I just need to pay off a few things (after a 2 month overseas holiday) and once that is all out of the way, I'll hope to upgrade from my current car, a 2001 Nissan Pulsar LX with almost 250,000km on the clock...bad I know (I drive to and from Sunshine on a daily basis).

I look forward to checking out this forum and see what everyone has to say about the i30.  I've read many mixed reviews on this vehicle, but I guess every car has negative aspects, right?!
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Pikapolonica and welcome!

I'd be interested to read the 'negative' reviews of the i30 - I don't know that I've ever seen one!

Colour is a hard choice at first.  But then you realise that Steel Grey is the best and it all works out from there.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

My car is that colour already (charcoal) so I wanted a change, just not red.  I don't mind the Vivid Blue or Moonlight Blue.  I'd love back but you'd see every speck of dirt on it.  Decisions decisions.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Welcome Vanessa!

There are quite a few nice colours to choose from. I ended up going for white

Next colour for me would have been moonlight blue or vivid blue.
:lol: :lol:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey Vanessa

I've got a Vivid Blue one (I love it) Moonlight was my second choice. I also followed the same line of thought wrt Black and dust showing up, unfortunately it does show up on the vivd blue as well, not as bad, but you do notice it when close, to it (and I've only had mine for a week). But Vivid Blue does look awesome.

If you want a SLX CRDi (esp in vivid blue) you may aswell order now. By the time you actually pick it up all you other debts will be well and truly paid off! (said partially Tongue In Cheek) Delivery times are getting shorter but.

I hope you do go with it, it really is a great car (as said before I've only had it for a week) I almost want to live in mine.

Anyway I might see you in March, I'll be heading down to Avalon for the Airshow.

Regards

Daniel

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Quote from: whitbomb07
Hey Vanessa

I almost want to live in mine.

Daniel

Hehe..
 :P

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Vanessa

I love my vivid blue one and have to say that I was surprised it does not show the dust as much as I expected.  My previous cars were all shades of silver which was great so I was a bit concerned about going to blue, but it is such a sparkly metallic that the dust is only obvious once you start cleaning bits!!

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Vanessa and welcome to the club. I do hope you go for an i30 'cos we'd love to see you here often.

As for colour, ignore the dirt and go BLACK  ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome Pikapolonica
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Vanessa and Welcome,

Like Grug said I was surprised to hear you have come accross mixed reviews of the i30 particularly the diesel as I have had over 25 cars and never had one before that has been so universally applauded and loved by its owners.

I wanted silver originally (which does really suit the i30 shape and in my opinion would be the best for not showing the dirt) I got overwridden by "she who must be obeyed" and ended up with the Moonlight Blue which we get lots of positive comments on.

For a lovely young lady like yourself.. I would recommend the Silver or Vivid blue. The red is also a nice colour but too suceptible to fading in the Aussie sun (i.M.O.)

Once you pay off those bills go an i30 Crdi... you won't regret it...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SergeyZdravkov

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Vidin
Hi Vanessa,

i30 is a great car as you will convince soon :)  I'm with Continental Silver which is nice colour but i got my car in unusual circumstances. If i had a choice i would choose a Champagne Silver - it looks very, very classy i.m.o. And, hey, don't forsake that bright sparkling red colour, especially if ur blond  ;D :D (ok, brunette too)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Me again.  At this moment, I'm going the Vivid Blue as I saw one last night at Werribee Hyundai, but this was a turbo diesel.  I might go into Hyundai Geelong on my next day off and start the ball rolling.  I've even been looking at personalised plates...now to decide on a colour that'll match that!

As for red...no more.  I've had 2 red cars (both unlucky as both were involved with accidents), plus the oxidisation factor, though I'm sure paint techniques have changed since then.

So excited.  Been a while since I've had a new car (7 years).

Will keep y'all informed on what happens over the next few weeks.

P.S.  I'm a brunette  ;)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
P.S.  I'm a brunette  ;)
Hehe we won't hold that against you

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Go the silver! (You know you want to)  :D

Hides the dirt really well.

Welcome to the club, you'll enjoy it here.  8)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Stop taunting me with silver!!  Ha ha.

Will have a chat with dad over the weekend...see if he can help out finance wise :P

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Stop taunting me with silver!!  Ha ha.

Will have a chat with dad over the weekend...see if he can help out finance wise :P
Fingers crossed  :-*

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia

Go the silver! (You know you want to)  :D

Hides the dirt really well.

Welcome to the club, you'll enjoy it here.  8)

I love your lights Thumper.
They look rather menacing.

By the way, in your photo are you on a private road?
I've been wanting to get some nice pics (and there are quite a few nice spots up Kangaroo Valley and Cambewarra Mountain) but the roads (where the views are) are always too busy...lol

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Thanks.  :)

Yes, an old highway that has now been closed off. (Have to go through gates to get to it)

This is where I do my testing and photos. (You may notice it's the same road I took the night time photos of the HiD low beam and high beam)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

So I sent a query to Werribee Hyundai and not even one minute after hitting send, they were on the phone.  Had a quick chat and was informed that they have the SLX in diesel in Vivid Blue in stock...for $31,200 less trade in.  I said I think I'll stick to petrol (I know diesel is better-1000km a tank-which woud last me at least 1 1/2 weeks compared to my just making a week on a tank in my current car).  Apparently there's a wait until about mid January and apparently prices will go up then too due to the AUD...something like that.  Price will also depend on what accessories I want, which at the moment include (but not all):

*Front and rear mudflaps
    *Rear spoiler
    *Rear park assist
    *Style visors
    *iPod/USB cable
    *Bluetooth phone kit
    *Carpet floor mats
    *Dash mat

I'd prefer to get some of these aftermarket, I just wanted to see what they charged.

What accessories did you get with your car (either at the time of purchase or aftermarket).

Pip
Had a quick chat and was informed that they have the SLX in diesel in Vivid Blue in stock...for $31,200 less trade in.

I saw that in the front yard just today when down there for a service.  An auto with all the current goodies.  I did look and it's either a September or October build... so not old stock.

FWIW I got a manual (from them) without smart paint (white) for $26500.

Bought flaps from Dandenong for $40 set $80 the lot and mats for $95.

Get the diesel.  Half the fun of driving this jigger is this engine!  Seriously!!

If it came down to money I'd swap the auto for diesel any day... then again I wouldn't have an auto anyway  :o

Offline AussieNess

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Muswellbrook

• (Muswellbrook,NSW)
Hi Vanessa....I'm a Vanessa too! (I think there is another one on this site called Nessa?) I'm reasonably new to this site too, but every time I visit I really enjoy the banter and great advice. Welcome!

We have been looking to buy an i30 (SLX Manual Petrol) for some time and tomorrow we are going to go back to the dealer and talk trade in.

I think I'm going for Silver too. It's soooooooo classy! In a perfect world I would go black, but I live in a coal mining town and the dust drives me crazy. Pity it doesn't come in more colours. The Mazda green is gorgeous! Anyway our current car is Steel Grey (XR6) and so I think the next best colour would be Silver. There is a car across the road that's silver and always looks clean, even though she tells me it's not!

Wishing us both luck with our choices, dealers, accessories and delivery times!

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

So I mentioned to dad that Werribee Hyundai talked about prices going up etc and dad seems to think the the price of cars will go down.  Who's correct?  Are WH just trying to make a sale?  Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Pip
So I mentioned to dad that Werribee Hyundai talked about prices going up etc and dad seems to think the the price of cars will go down.  Who's correct?  Are WH just trying to make a sale?  Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Could go either way and I suspect WH don't know and yes they are trying to make a sale :-)

My guess is that prices will not change for a while.  Remember, if you have the money then you have the power... keep cool.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

because cars are all imported, prices of the cars will go up as AUD goes down (which it has done over the past 2-3 months because we are a raw materials economy), however consumer spending is also going down so unless interest rates are reduced by enough to spurn a resurrection in car lending, car sales will fall and dealerships will take lower margins just so they can make SOME sales... and so your car prices will probably remain static.

Pip
Actually, from what I read just a while ago, Korean currency is down compared to AUD and that gives Hyundai Australia a buffer and so to move cars they might lower the price if demand falls away.  But my guess is still that there will be no move until maybe second quarter.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

My uncle is trying to talk me out of getting the i30.  He's not fond of Hyundai's.  Something to do with panel repairs...I dunno.  Gotta ask him.

ARGH.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

My uncle is trying to talk me out of getting the i30.  He's not fond of Hyundai's.  Something to do with panel repairs...I dunno.  Gotta ask him.

ARGH.
Compared to the repair cost of a Holden Astra? Panel repairs are something that you only have to pay for if you're a bad driver, otherwise it's the other guy's problem - so don't let that be a reason not to buy a car.
Edit - that said, I don't know what he's talking about - see if you can get some more information :P

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

There was an interesting article in the Drive section in Saturday's SMH on car prices http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=59098&vf=26&IsPgd=0

Thanks Mick, that was very informative. It even answered another question I had -
Things to avoid: most cars don't need rust-proofing - this is a major source of profit for dealers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal