i30 Owners Club

Rims / SLX i30

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Hi guys,

Just wanting some help on finding some rims to fit my SLX -- I have the stock 16" alloys but really want some like what Hemmi has -- which are really similar to the VW Golf's. Here are some links below of the style / kind I want. Any help in tracking down a pair like it that are readily available from Jax Tyres / Bob Jane T Mart / Beaurepaires / Etc --- Also, ideally wanting some 17"'s.

I really like this pair -- http://www.tech9tyres.com.au/wheels/detail/eleanor

And the ones on the golf's -- http://images-2.drive.com.au/2009/10/28/818897/VW-Golf-GTD_m_m-420x0.jpg

And also the other type like this -- http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339291149/vw-golf-vi_1.jpg

Any ideas? If not, may have to go the B.Boss ones. But would love to find a pair like the Golf's.

Thanks in advance for any help :-}
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
You need something with 5 x 114.3 stud pattern, 67.1mm centre bore or bigger (with the use of hubcentric rings) and an offset of between +40 and +45 offset for wheels between 7 and 8 inches wide.

I put 18 x 7.5 on my wife's car and they fit with heaps of room to spare. If I was to do it again I'm pretty confident you could fit a 19 x 8, an this is the way I would go. The 18's don't actually look that big on the i30.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
19's would be too big in my opinion.
It would be too much of a trade-off in road noise and ride quality.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Hey man, thanks for all that -- Already got that far. More so just looking for some styling help at the moment more than anything -- Just want a shove in the right direction -- Hoping someone has seen rims similar to the above I posted.

I think I'd prefer the 17"'s -- I don't want to compromise the ride too much as the roads here aren't amazing.

And I think a big reason for your rims not looking huge are because the black trim -- Black trim on black rubber on black wheel arches = Small look. If I were to get some, I'd definitely get some with silver trim around the outside so you could see definition. I remember seeing your post with the wheels on and automatically thought exactly that.

I think I'll have to go for the b.boss -- I can't seem to find any others in the same style sadly.
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You can order the 17" or 18" rims (like Hemmi's) from MS in Austria if you're happy to pay the freight.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Oh really? Is freight expensive from Austria to Australia? Any idea what site? I had a look but couldn't find anywhere with english websites, ha ha.
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally the cost of the 18" rubber would be enough to turn me off, You'll be replacing tyres more often on the bigger rubber as it is, let alone having to pay (more) of an arm and a leg for something good.

What are you doing with the SLX rims?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Selling them for sure. Will sell them on here when I've got enough posts / etc for sure :-}
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Oh really? Is freight expensive from Austria to Australia? Any idea what site? I had a look but couldn't find anywhere with english websites, ha ha.

I'm just on my way out now so don't have time right now but when I get home tonight I'll dig out a contact name & email for you because I had some contact with MS a little while ago.
They were very friendly and helpful and I found someone who could speak English within the company.
They are keen to look after forum members too.
If I forget, pm me!
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have released that for sale post now Karizmatik as you have 10 posts and although you haven't been a member for two weeks the tone of your post and your reaction to my PM was spot on  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Thanks Dazzler, appreciate it :-}

And thanks db08 -- Sadly just saw they only make them in a 18", though.

It's proving difficult to find a pair of decent rims in the style I want in 17". I'm considering some Enkei SC22's at the moment, now. I spent a decent hour at a wheel store this morning going through catalogues and back and forth on the phone to their suppliers -- every style I love either don't fit or they can't machine down safely enough to fit.

I'm a bit disheartened. Still looking, though. Sucks!
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks Dazzler, appreciate it :-}

And thanks db08 -- Sadly just saw they only make them in a 18", though.

It's proving difficult to find a pair of decent rims in the style I want in 17". I'm considering some Enkei SC22's at the moment, now. I spent a decent hour at a wheel store this morning going through catalogues and back and forth on the phone to their suppliers -- every style I love either don't fit or they can't machine down safely enough to fit.

I'm a bit disheartened. Still looking, though. Sucks!

I think they do 17's & 18's.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
I had a local joint order in some Enkei's in for me (SC22's and SC24's) -- I didn't really like any at the time looking at them against my car but I don't really mind them looking at this picture. I'm also considering some G.Max Kaya's in Crystal Black ( http://www.gmaxwheels.com/wheels.php?wheelname=Kaya-Crystal-Black ) -- They are coming up from Melbourne next week some time. I'll give them a shot next to the car and in the event I can't stand them, I'll go for the 24's (Rear rim in the picture below).

What do you all reckon? Oh and the rim on the front is a CSA rim. Apologies for the iPhone photo.

• i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I like the front one best, only 10 edges to clean instead of 20  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: Yep - the CSA rims are the mags to buy :goodjob:

Apologies for the iPhone photo.
iPhone photo, Jules? A man with your photographic skills :eek: ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
:whsaid: Yep - the CSA rims are the mags to buy :goodjob:

Neither rock my boat but out of the two I'd go the CSA's......  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I like the Gmax and I also like the 24's (But what do I know) :confused:

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
I quite like the G.Max -- I think I'll wait for them to come in next week before I really decide. I'll probably be upgrading the pads when the time comes, also -- Get some ceramic's so that brake dust isn't annoying and ruins my pretty new rims :-)
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, difficult to choose, really.

They both look great, will suit your car... :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
I ended up going the G.Max -- I'm a little in love with them. I'll take some proper non-iPhone photos soon. I also had some 18% tint done recently -- I kind of want to go darker again but I think I'll stick with it, don't want defect notices. I also put some CrystalVision bulbs in the other day -- Love them. Super white light!

• i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Very stealth.  :goodjob2:
Your tint is dark  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very stealth.  :goodjob2:
Your tint is dark  :)

:whsaid:

Scary stuff.. exactly what I was going to say  :whistler:

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Ha ha -- Believe it or not, there was a car getting done at the same time as mine with 5% tint on the front / back and also 35% on the windscreen!!!! Talk about crazy. Mine looked quite light in tint next to that thing. He's just asking for trouble, I swear lol.

All is well though -- I had a cop pull me over today and he even commented on the tint, telling me it looked good.  :happydance:

It's illegal by 17% ....  :rofl:
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Let's hope you don't get stopped by one with a light meter then.... :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Let's hope you don't get stopped by one with a light meter then.... :whistler:

or one that is enlightened  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey Dave, is it illegal for cops to use darker than legal tint?  :whistler:

The reason I ask is that my friend in Townsville says it's common up there to see cop cars with darker than legal tint.....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The reason I ask is that my friend in Townsville says it's common up there to see cop cars with darker than legal tint.....  :undecided:

Some police areas get special dispensation from the Minister to bypass some laws (including window tint) as dictated by their specific duties. So in those circumstances, no it isn't illegal.

However, we have the same issue here and I see quite a few police cars with darker than legal tint and I would doubt they all have ministerial approval.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline aratic

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, QLD

I ended up going the G.Max -- I'm a little in love with them. I'll take some proper non-iPhone photos soon. I also had some 18% tint done recently -- I kind of want to go darker again but I think I'll stick with it, don't want defect notices. I also put some CrystalVision bulbs in the other day -- Love them. Super white light!

Hey Karizmatik, sorry for the epic there's revival but wondering if you can post a pic of your i30 with the gmax wheels? I'm looking at these for the girlfriends i30.

Thanks

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Where exactly, because most stay at manufactures spec, except for vans used to transport offenders where the rear windows are darkened for privacy, they commercial vehicles anyway so when modified with the prisoner area the rear windows can't be seen by the driver anyway.

In any event....

144 Act does not apply to police officer in course of duty
Provisions of this Act about offences (other than section 79and 80) do not apply to a police officer while exercising a
power, or performing a function, under this or another Act.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal