i30 Owners Club

1.4 engine versus 1.6

Offline nickcoffer

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Good evening everyone

I was looking for a Ford Focus and have now been tempted towards the i30. The thing that strikes me the most is how much people who actually own the car enjoy driving it.

I am a little confused about the 1.4 v the 1.6. There seems to be very little difference in top speeds, BHP etc (sorry, I am no car expert).

My car will mainly be for the commute to work - 3 or 4 miles of A road plus 15 miles of motorway each way.

The reviews say that the 1.4 is sweet, supple and willing.

Can I please ask, how does it cope with motorways in general? I am no racer at all but there is nothing worse than an engine which feels asthmatic on the motorway.

What have your experiences been? How does the 1.4 drive on the motorway? Does it have enough in it? Is it good enough for overtaking? Does it need to be revved really hard on the motorway and is hence noisy?

In a nutshell, is the 1.6 worth the extra?!

Thank you very much indeed for any advice you can give...

All the best

Nick
  • i30 1.4

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Nick

I can't advise you about the petrol's, as I drive the diesel, but a big Welcome to the forum, I can give you... :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Nick,

We don't even get the 1.4 petrol in Australia(or the 1.6 petrol in the new model)

However, most feedback on here suggests the 1.4 is ok performance wise. If where you live and drive is reasonably flat country I would suspect the 1.4 would be fine but if you are going to be doing much driving in hillier areas it might be worth the extra for the 1.6.

The only experience I have had with the two engines is in a Getz.. we had a 1.6 Getz and it was really zippy and great on fuel. The eldest Daughter bought a 1.4 Getz and it wasn't as fun to drive and was actually less economical.

Not sure if these motors have changed much since 2006/2007?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am not aware that you can get a 1.6 petrol in the UK - other than with an auto box.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 Hi Nick, welcome.
i'm in Australia & own a 1.6 diesel, the only i30 petrol i have ever driven was a 2.0 auto.
but i suggest you ask the Hy  Dealer if you can test drive both on the motorway. then you will know for sure.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to the forum nickcoffer:goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In hindsight Nick.. I'd go the 1.6 ( I reckon you would be happier with the "cooking" motor)  :whistler:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Having had the 1.6 in the i30 it definitely has a little more grunt than the 1.4 in the ix20 had, but overall not a lot to choose between them apart from running costs.

As Alan said though, the 1.6 is not available in manual guise in the UK.....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline nickcoffer

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Thanks for all your answers.

Dazzler have you been googling me?!

Bit confused about the 1.6/manual question. There are quite a few on autotrader now. Are you sure it's only available in auto?

Thanks...
  • i30 1.4

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The old model had a 1.6 petrol with a 5 speed box - the current model has dropped the 1.6 manual.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler have you been googling me?!

Not me.. but someone did.. We like to know a bit about our members (so we can tailor our answers to suit) or in your case "cook"up a suitable reply .. :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline nickcoffer

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
You naughty people! (it did kind of tickle me though!).

The fact that they have dropped the manual for the new 1.6... do you think that tells you that they think the 1.4 is more than capable enough? After all, it will need to hold its own alone for anyone who wants a manual 130 petrol...

I read that as a vote of confidence in the 1.4. Or am I reading too much into it??!
  • i30 1.4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think they are just differentiating the range a bit and making it easier for customers to choose.

The 1.4 Petrol Manual would probably have similar performance to a 1.6 Auto.  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Nick

Go for the 1.4 manual shift. Autos are for lazy drivers  :evil:

(PS, be quick in your decision - I see you're busy from 12:00 :whistler:)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
I have (actually wife) a manual 1.4 Getz. To be honest it seems like a 60's 4 cylinder small car. Gutless but absolutely wonderful to stir along with plenty of revs! Can't really get into trouble and lots of fun to drive.

I can't imagine a 1.4 in the heavier i30 being anything but dull. :fum:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Gutless
I can't imagine a 1.4 in the heavier i30 being anything but dull. :fum:

Tried a demo. 1.6 ix20 for a week, found it gutless, boring & drunk petrol.

Not a patch on the CRDi 1.6, if you need seat height, cheaper to put a cushion on the seat.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I have a 1.6 manual gearbox petrol FD version i30 and I am very VERY happy with it despite the odd silly comment about them drinking petrol.
Mine returns >42MPG in rural driving and has done since I bought it whether using the computer to tell me or the brim to brim method.
Definitely more grunt than the 1.4 and much quieter, less smokey & more reliable than the dirty diesels lol!   :rofl:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Pip
gutless, boring & drunk...

You been talking to my wife then?

That's quite funny.   :lol:

My attempts at humour here usually go completely unnoticed. However on this occasion I was serious... nah not really - actually semi-serious. :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 13:58:32 by Pip »

Offline MudHut

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northampton
I have a manual 1.4 petrol and i really think you need to give it a test drive to decide. 

Once you get use to where the power is then it isn't too bad but can still be a little gutless at times.  I found going from a 1.9 diesel to this certainly took some adjustment, but it's more just getting use to a different way of driving.  As far as noise goes, compared to my previous diesel, this is practically silent.

All that said though, if the manual 1.6  petrol had been available when i bought mine, it would have been a very close call but i would have had to drive both to make the decision
  • i30 style

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I bought my old-style 1.4 under the scrappage scheme to replace my 2 litre Renault Laguna. For normal day-to-day driving around town and on local A/B roads the performance is more than adequate.

The only real downside is motorway driving. The Renault would cruise effortlessly at any speed with the engine on low revs. The Hyundai spins much faster to do similar speeds and uses more petrol when driving at or above the limit. Above 70 it drops from 30 mpg rapidly.  Though as I rarely need to go anywhere distant rapidly it doesn't affect me.

The 1.4 engine in the new version is virtually identical to mine except, according to the manufacturers figures, it has been detuned slightly to a lower horsepower and higher 0-60 time.  Though I resisted the local dealer encouraging me to test-drive the new versions in case I was tempted to buy one. :) So I didn't compare them on the road.

I found that it took me a long while to get used to the driver's seat, finding it slightly uncomfortable for months. Though that was carpentering it to the Laguna, which had a soft armchair by comparison. A test drive would be a good idea on that basis alone. :)

Offline nickcoffer

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi everyone and thank you for your brilliant replies.

I have now test driven the 1.4 and it's a nice car - comfortable and smooth.

I am no car expert so I have one final technical question for you - at 80mph it was revving at 4000. I have done a bit of reading and it says the same happens on the 1.6.

Is this a bad thing?! It didn't seem to be toooo noisy as a result but my fear is it will turn into a thrashy sounding engine very quickly... Surely a manufacturer wouldn't create cars which cannot cruise at 70/80, or am I being naive?!

In other news, a local private seller is willing to sell me a 59 plate with 18k miles for 5500. Does that sound like a deal? They are fully clean and checked and have owned the car from new...

Thanks again for your help

Nick
  • i30 1.4

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I would suggest to you that those revs would be quite normal for a car of that engine capacity. Our max legal limit in Oz varies from 62 mph, 68 mph, and unlimited, depending which state or territory you're in. At your speed, air resistance becomes significant and for a small motor, it's working a lot just to overcome this. If it were a lazy Oz V8, then perhaps 2800-3000 RPM due to the much higher power output. For economy 50 mph is about the best speed but obviously, not practical on your motorways.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My dealer currently has a 10 plate 1.4 Classic with just under 16k selling at £6988 if that's any help....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal