i30 Owners Club

Weird noise on startup :(

panda · 120 · 45841

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Ours seemed to happen between 500kms on the clock and 1500kms. Haven't head it since. Very strange.
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and love my new i30 - apart from this same noise in my car. The dealership suggested I turn off the air cond when starting but that made no difference. Like others, it's only on a cold start and I describe it as the sound of a mini vacuum cleaner starting up. The dealership suggested I leave it overnight so they can hear it on a cold start but I'm yet to arrange that. I would have thought that with the number of owners experiencing this, the dealership would have been aware of it, or if it is a normal sound, they'd be aware of that.
Has anyone got to the bottom of it ?

• 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, Snookes.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
could it be something to do with the mixture control altering due to cold to provide a richer mixture
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Mine still seems to have stopped doing it. I keep listening for it, but nothing. Odd.

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Mine is doing it less in the mornings but still seems to do it when I go to leave from work.  Have parked it at dealers again so they could listen when I left but guess what...it didn't make the noise again, they probably think i'm a little bit crazy by now...though I did show a video recording of it doing it  :)
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@BillyJoe87 - Oh god run for your lifes the wining sound might be the Korean Nuke bomb starting up hehehehe ! Hey guys and gals, im from South Africa and driving the 2013 i30 1.8 Executive. You guys are describing EVERYTHING im having here ! The cold start whining noise, BillyJoe87 my wining goes on for like 10 seconds  :eek: so it sounds even worse plus that annoying clattering sound seconds after ignition between 0:02 and 0:03 on BillyJoe87 video sounds EXACTLY like my car, it continues clattering as I accelerate, cold start or normal starting during the day !

I took it in to the dealership and they kinda fixed the whining sound but wouldnt tell me what caused it which I found kinda fishy :question: I also asked them about the clattering sound when the car idles, they replaced the tapped cover and some gaskets and it still hasnt gone away, now one of them told me that the valve clearance isnt set right and that I should bring it in again so they could look at replacing the rocker assembly. My car barely has 3000 miles on the clock and already sounding like it had done 1 000 000 miles !

The other morning my car wouldnt even start, no flat battery or anything, it just blatently refused to start, kept the starter motor going for 5 or more seconds, tried that 5 more times before it finaly spluttered to life misfiring and all smokey ! From then on everytime I slightly rev it above 1500rpm it would shudder en have small little misfires, all of this on a brand spanking new car with less then 5000 kms on !

I have also made a sound recording of the car, took it to HyundaiSA HQ in Johannesburg and they were astonished ! Immediately sent my sound recording to Korea, the guys at Hyundai in Korea were baffled at the my cars strange behaviour ! This is now an ongoing case between me and HyundaiSA and Hyundai Korea. Have to constantly keep the dealership up to date. Ill let you guys know whats happening, maybe if they get my car fixed then this might also help you guys getting yours fixed !

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 14:23:45 by i30RSA »
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I have also made a sound recording of the car, took it to HyundaiSA HQ in Johannesburg and they were astonished ! Immediately sent my sound recording to Korea, the guys at Hyundai in Korea were baffled at the my cars strange behaviour ! This is now an ongoing case between me and HyundaiSA and Hyundai Korea.

At least they are looking after you, taking your concerns seriously and have passed them to the highest level, Korea.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Very strange! i30RSA I'm glad you're getting looked after! I have yet to mention it to my dealership. I might at it's next service. It's come back recently. Again not every time I start the car, but definitely there on occasion and again always on the cold start up. Hopefully someone will figure out soon what it is! Hope you get your car sorted soon though!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

You're back!   :)

Lol, yes! Wasn't really gone, just distracted by life  :rolleyes:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Those girls behaving themselves?  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Those girls behaving themselves?  :)

Well....there's always at least 1 of them behaving themselves. It'd be nice if they'd all do it at the same time though  :disapp:

2 pre-teen girls and one teenage girl in the house makes for many brain meltdowns. So ..... much..... drama  :head_butt:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol:
I relate.
Two daughters.
Two grand daughters.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

:lol:
I relate.
Two daughters.
Two grand daughters.  :)

:Shocked:    :lol:

The most interesting thing (not good but interesting) is the fact that high school has not changed one bit since I was there apparently! Different faces, same nastiness!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Girls will be girls.  :whistler:

Won't they ever?!?!?! (Be nice if they were a little less like girls during the teenage years  :lol:)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Won't they ever?!?!?! (Be nice if they were a little less like girls during the teenage years  :lol:)

I was told once, and I have no reason to disbelieve this, that the little sweet angels we raise go to bed one night as 12 or 13 year olds and wake up with horns.  :evil:

I understand fully what I was being told.  :lol:

Apologies for the  :offtopic:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Very strange! i30RSA I'm glad you're getting looked after! I have yet to mention it to my dealership. I might at it's next service. It's come back recently. Again not every time I start the car, but definitely there on occasion and again always on the cold start up. Hopefully someone will figure out soon what it is! Hope you get your car sorted soon though!

That's a pity the noise has come back Panda. Like yours, the noise in my car was from about 500 kms and now that it has done just over 1500 kms, the noise has stopped. After reading your post I'm now waiting for it to return ! If it returns I'll mention it to my dealership but that will be about 8 months away. It seems a lot of vehicles do it, yet it doesn't appear any dealership knows what it is. It certainly seems strange though. If it's not doing any harm, the noise itself doesn't worry me, but unfortunately I don't know whether it's doing any harm or not.  I'd be really keen to know what your dealerships says about it.

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

I was told once, and I have no reason to disbelieve this, that the little sweet angels we raise go to bed one night as 12 or 13 year olds and wake up with horns.  :evil:

I understand fully what I was being told.  :lol:

Apologies for the  :offtopic:

Haha, they do they do! Each generation seems to grow them younger and younger too  :disapp:

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

That's a pity the noise has come back Panda. Like yours, the noise in my car was from about 500 kms and now that it has done just over 1500 kms, the noise has stopped. After reading your post I'm now waiting for it to return ! If it returns I'll mention it to my dealership but that will be about 8 months away. It seems a lot of vehicles do it, yet it doesn't appear any dealership knows what it is. It certainly seems strange though. If it's not doing any harm, the noise itself doesn't worry me, but unfortunately I don't know whether it's doing any harm or not.  I'd be really keen to know what your dealerships says about it.
I was disappointed too. I was hoping it was a breaking in thing. The car has done about 5000kms now. It came back I first noticed around the 4000-4500 mark. I haven't heard it in the last 2 weeks but I'll definitely mention it to the dealership and see what they say. Can't hurt. We're a relatively big place with only 2 dealerships so maybe they'll have heard something. I'll let you know :)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Pretty much convinced it's the oil pump, but I don't think it's faulty but just the design of this engine. If this was a real major issue, you would see it everywhere on google and so far this is the only site I've seen it raised. I get it on my car as a the 1st morning start of the day, and must be designed to do this once the oil has heavily settled overnight.  I've done 11,000km so far and nver got worse or anything like that.  What are your thoughts?

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
pidim, I've seen this issue mentioned on a number of sites, although some weren't specifically related to Hyundais. Some were US forums where their Elantra appears to have the same 1.8 petrol engine as our 130. Try a Google search on a combination of buzzing noise, humming noise,whirring noise, pressurising noise, on start up, elantra, hyundai.

I've also heard that the noise may be related to the oil pump although some of what I have found on some sites leads me to think it could be something to do with the crankcase emission control system, in particular, possibly the PCV valve and/or, the purge control solenoid valve. Page 7-85 of the i30 Owner's manual refers to these emission control system. I'd be keen to know what you or others think.

It seems strange to me that apparently not all cars make the noise so I don't know whether the noise is normal or not.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just had my car serviced. I had this issue prior to the service, but I did not mention anything to the dealer, as I don't believe it's a major issue from what I have read around the web.  Anyway, this sound has not occured since the service, so I can only attribute this to being related to oil quality or characteristics.  It seems that the oil pump has to work overtime if oil has aged and started to break down from it's "new" state.  I'm not a mechanic, but that seems to be the only way I can explain it. It seems that this may return in my car down the track.  Will advise. Any other thoughts?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Modern oils today are very stable and if the oil is good quality and the right specification for your motor, Hyundai have detailed when it needs replacing. However, some members do replacement at 1/2 intervals because that's what they prefer to do. In the end, it's your choice.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Actually probably misled with me saying "oil quality". What I meant was new oil.  I'm wondering that's how the engine behaves when oil "ages" and starts to lose some viscosity characteristics or service intervals on i30 are too long at 12mnths/15000km.  Pretty sure dealer didn't do anything else, other than change the oil and filter.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well that theory of mine failed.  Got a nice extra long sound yesterday evening as I left work. 

Anyway, I'm not sure if I have missed something on this forum, but just found this: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/146031-jet-engine-whine-just-after-startup-not-rattle-mentioned-elsewhere-11.html

Apparently it's related to the ABS and perfectly normal. 

"The air is decompressed in the pumps of the ABS system when the car is parked. In colder weather, it will lose much more air quicker. The sound is the ABS System engaging and getting air into the system. Sometimes it takes longer if it's colder outside or if the car has been sitting for days (like some members here have said it happens when their car has been sitting). Every car is going to be different depending on outside temperatures, etc. Also, if you notice on the other thread where the videos are posted, the first one is of a car inside a garage away from the elements and the sound only lasts 6-7 seconds. The other video the car is outside and the noise takes much longer while the air is being pumped into the ABS chambers."

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
Read this discussion the other day and ever since been listening out for that weird noise .. and guess what  ? .. the "weird noise" paid me a visit this morning !!.
It was only there for about one second.  The outside temp was 8 degrees C .. odometer = +- 1500 km.

So, will go and talk to the sales executive at the dealership next week - and find out about this. 

"The coffee is great at the dealership .. enough reason for me to go there  :)"

Greetings

PS : Here  http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/146031-jet-engine-whine-just-after-startup-not-rattle-mentioned-elsewhere-11.html   a TSB is mentioned .. what the heck is that ? .. has anybody got it ?. Don't want to register on ANOTHER forum just for a .pdf document.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 19:57:18 by RSS »
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
RSS, a TSB is a technical service bulletin which appears to be an advice from a manufacturer to their dealer service network in relation to a vehicle service update/problem or in some cases, a vehicle recall.

Offline RSS

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Gauteng
RSS, a TSB is a technical service bulletin which appears to be an advice from a manufacturer to their dealer service network in relation to a vehicle service update/problem or in some cases, a vehicle recall.

Thanks Snookes, only realised that after I posted .. penny dropped .. blonde moment here .. sorry.

Searched the net for that TSB .. anyone got it ?  :neutral:
  • i30 1.8 Executive 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal