i30 Owners Club

Weird noise on startup :(

panda · 120 · 46290

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
RSS, please DO NOT use the HyundaiRSA website to log a query or a complaint, they take decades if not centuries to reply, if ever. Go to your dealership and bitch and moan like theres no tomorrow. Gawd, and I thought VW had bad customer service, Hyundai is past horendous, some days I even get better service at TATA for the companies truck then at Hyundai.

Please GO TO THE DEALERSHIP if you have problems, DO NOT use the websites CUSTOMER APP !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's a nice positive post.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mythirty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
has anyone been able to positively identify what the noise is. My 2 month old i30 Active does it to, like others not all the time. Can be cold morning, or hot afternoon after work, sometimes it makes the whining/rubbing noise for about 2 seconds and other times not at all. I asked my dealer service manager and he was aware of it, but said it is " systems just activating". This seems like a very unlikely generic reason. I don't think it is a oil pressure issue, as the light disappears the second it fires and it is not a metallic sound. Certainly a weird one, that along with everyone else, would like to get to the bottom of!
  • 2013 i30 Active 1.8 auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The ABS has an electrical motor which self regulates hydraulic pressures in line with the ECU in the monitoring system, over time the pressures have to be re-established and the motor activates briefly. This is from the workshop manual and IMO most likely what you can hear, perfectly normal.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Munno Para, South Australia
    • My Personal Photography page. Feel free to "like"!
The ABS has an electrical motor which self regulates hydraulic pressures in line with the ECU in the monitoring system, over time the pressures have to be re-established and the motor activates briefly. This is from the workshop manual and IMO most likely what you can hear, perfectly normal.
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=23888.msg257046#msg257046
This is what I was asking about on this topic. Thanks, you have answered my question. :)
  • i30 2013 GD Elite, White.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Stinger,

I only recently acquired the workshop manual, so was unable to offer any suggestions at the time.

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I can't tell you exactly what is it but my dealership has currently got a tech line (is that what they call it?) open for mine apparently the issue had come up at a Hyundai thing the lead mechanic went to - sorry don't know the name of that either!!  Might have some more info soon :-)
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This issue which apparently also occurs on Elantras in the USA, appears to be causing some owners concern and I think it's high time Hyundai addressed it. My car used to always make the noise on cold starts, but now does it only occasionally. When I mentioned it to my Hyundai Service Centre , they weren't aware of it. From what I have read, other Hyundai Service Centres say it's normal, at least one said it's normal but they didn't know what it was !?, another said it's the oil pump, and another hadn't heard of it. Apparently at least one dealer pulled an engine apart in an attempt to fix it and another replaced an oil pump which fixed it for a short time. Some cars make the noise on cold starts all the time,  some occasionally and some not at all.
Come on Hyundai - your silence is deafening - what is it ? Is it normal and if so what is it and why do some cars make the noise and not others ? If it's not normal, what is it and get it fixed.
Before my car started making the noise, I loved my i30, now I just like it because I am concerned that the noise may not be normal and is causing some damage. If the issue isn't resolved by the time my car is 4 years old I'll sell it then (so the next owner has some warranty) and it'll be Bye to Hy.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
- This is what it is. I asked my service department yesterday & this is what they told me. It happens with Mitsubishi's as well (according to the service guy). It is normal for newer motors apparently.

Offline kevxtx

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
That's the noise I have after 1300kms on the clock only from cold start up on my 2013 i30, anyone know what it is?
  • 2013 I30

Offline MalB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Carramar, Western Australia
Hi folks,
Newbie on here and also an i30 owner that has a similar noise on occasion. Mine is a 2013 GD Active 1.8lt petrol, and is used as a driver instruction vehicle. It was purchased in April this year and I've racked up 16000kms already.
Anyways...I have the same (or similar) sound every now and then and to me it sounded like a servo type thing....the ABS explanation makes sense however I've never heard an ABS system do that on any other car before. Talking to my best mate mechanic today during an oil change (to try and remedy some tappet chatter...I'll get to that shortly) it made the whirring noise on startup....asked his opinion (which I regard highly) and was told it was from a small clutch system in the alternator just picking up speed to match the drive belt...also makes perfect sense and have actually heard a similar sound from "clutch" cooling fans on Commodores/Falcons etc.
Now to my other issue....tappet chatter.
This is becoming a concern as being from a race background...when I hear a metallic noise from the engine I tend to get quite worried that something aint getting oiled properly. Now this noise isn't exceptioanlly loud but I do hear it...particularly at cold startup when it takes about 10mins to clear and then on and off during my day of driving around town....local dealer said....bet you'll never guess..."it's normal" but I beg to differ as it seems to be getting slightly more regular.
As per others here it will be taken back to dealer for another listen and check and will let you all know the outcome.
Shame....coz otherwise it's a bloody great little car!!  :D
Cheers!
  • 2013 GD ACTIV i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can you confirm the grade of oil you are using, was it supplied by Hyundai. :question:

Offline MalB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hi Phil,
Original oil as per Hyundai service dude is a 5w/30 of whatever is the cheapest on the day, today we used Veales 15w40 homebrand which is probably not a great deal better except for the viscosity...and the tappet chatter still seems to be there....slightly   :rolleyes:
  • 2013 GD ACTIV i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We have Diesels and do a fair amount of freeway driving, so I like having 40 grade rather than 30 in our cars. Most of us here don't compromise on brand, Mobil, Penrite, Castrol (not Magnatec)  etc. Oil is the blood of an engine, always buy the best you can afford.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi Phil,
Original oil as per Hyundai service dude is a 5w/30 of whatever is the cheapest on the day, today we used Veales 15w40 homebrand which is probably not a great deal better except for the viscosity...and the tappet chatter still seems to be there....slightly   :rolleyes:

Like Phil said, I'd be using a quality oil, not some el cheapo home brand ....

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi MalB

:wttc:

As mentioned, try a really good quality oil and see if it makes any difference. Make sure it's fully synthetic and fullfill the requirement of Hyundai.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline MalB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
OK...so the slightly thicker viscosity has seemed to help, the tappets are much much quieter. Startup this morning provided a familiar chatter for about ten minutes but that cleared to a minor ticking that i WOULD pass as normal.

Tomorrow mornings cold start will be interesting, the belief being that if there is significant chatter again, it is most likely to be a dud hydraulic seal on a tappet that is obviously not holding the oil under valve spring pressure overnight, allowing it to drain back.

As for the oil we got from Veales....it is a good quality base just packaged for them as their own brand, my guy has been using it for ages and never had a problem with it in any car he's serviced.
We do a lot of circuit racing and have tried a lot of oils in the cars, whilst we probably wouldn't use this oil for racing due to the extremes, it is perfectly workable in a road car  :goodjob2:
  • 2013 GD ACTIV i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't be using a re-branded oil personally.
Stick with the big names and ensure the specs are correct for your engine.
I was up at Carramar just the other day.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi folks,
Newbie on here and also an i30 owner that has a similar noise on occasion. Mine is a 2013 GD Active 1.8lt petrol, and is used as a driver instruction vehicle. It was purchased in April this year and I've racked up 16000kms already.
Anyways...I have the same (or similar) sound every now and then and to me it sounded like a servo type thing....the ABS explanation makes sense however I've never heard an ABS system do that on any other car before. Talking to my best mate mechanic today during an oil change (to try and remedy some tappet chatter...I'll get to that shortly) it made the whirring noise on startup....asked his opinion (which I regard highly) and was told it was from a small clutch system in the alternator just picking up speed to match the drive belt...also makes perfect sense and have actually heard a similar sound from "clutch" cooling fans on Commodores/Falcons etc.
Now to my other issue....tappet chatter.
This is becoming a concern as being from a race background...when I hear a metallic noise from the engine I tend to get quite worried that something aint getting oiled properly. Now this noise isn't exceptioanlly loud but I do hear it...particularly at cold startup when it takes about 10mins to clear and then on and off during my day of driving around town....local dealer said....bet you'll never guess..."it's normal" but I beg to differ as it seems to be getting slightly more regular.
As per others here it will be taken back to dealer for another listen and check and will let you all know the outcome.
Shame....coz otherwise it's a bloody great little car!!  :D
Cheers!

Excellent, this makes more sense. Legend.

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Stinger, did your mechanic mate say why the small clutch picking up speed doesn't happen on every cold start ?
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yup.. Noticeable on my car now as well. Especially when the car has been off, parked for more than half a day.
Good to have some kind of answer and explanation to what is actually happening.

I remember my Maxima made knocking noise just when the car starts off within the 50 meters..
Found out to be brake, ESC and ABS test noise. These days seems like they are normal as there are so many electrical parts in the car.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Stinger, did your mechanic mate say why the small clutch picking up speed doesn't happen on every cold start ?
No He just said, it depends. sometimes you will hear it, sometimes you won't. he wasnt heaps helpful. Gave me an answer, but not heaps helpful. The other theory sounds like it makes more sense ( the alternator just picking up speed to match the drive belt...also makes perfect sense and have actually heard a similar sound from "clutch" cooling fans on Commodores/Falcons etc).

Offline kevxtx

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I pulled off my multi ribbed belt disconnecting the alternator & A/C compressor & my motor still whines on cold start up. I will get the wife to start the car tomorrow & I will hold the ABS pump to see if the noise is from the ABS.
  • 2013 I30

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all, just thought I would update my experience with this one.  About 2 weeks ago Hyundai agreed to replace my oil pump cover as this is what they believed to be making the noise and since having it replaced I have yet to hear it again - mine did it very regularly and had done almost 15,000km when it was replaced.  So whether it be coincidence or not it appears to be fixed now  :goodjob:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have the same issue with my i30 gd active.  The dealer carried out a diagnostic test after hearing the weird noise then sent the findings to Hyundai for technical assistance.  Now waiting for a response.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
 I finally got a response from the dealer.  It is indeed the oil pump cover.  I did tell the mechanic about this forum and how Purple's issue with his car got resolved.  With Hyundai's assistance, the dealer was able to diagnose the problem.  The part is now on order from Korea.  :happydance:
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant: with a silent w.. as in bwilliant!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I finally got a response from the dealer.  It is indeed the oil pump cover.  I did tell the mechanic about this forum and how Purple's issue with his car got resolved.  With Hyundai's assistance, the dealer was able to diagnose the problem.  The part is now on order from Korea.  :happydance:
LEGEND!! I think Hyundai should announce a "recall" issue for this issue to have the part replaced under warranty.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is a recall too drastic?  I would think recalls are for safety issues only.

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Have any one got some kind of concrete answer to this issue?
It seems like it hasn't been updated since early this year.
I also have the same sound coming up from the car every morning or so and after not been driven for several hours.
Sound seems to be louder when the morning is colder.
I have just returned from the 1st ever scheduled service and been told that it is a known issue by Hyundai and that they have a fix for it.
Its hard to explain in words but its to do with the chain oil cover.
Apparently there is a really tiny gap due to the design fault. It doesn't affect the reliability or harm the car in any way according to them.
In the morning, as the oil gets thicker, it will make the noise.
Any way, the fix is to get a new updated cover which will close off the gap nicely.
It would take a day to fix it. Going in again on the 25th of Sept.

Any one have got the same answer from the dealers? I went to the Hyundai service in South Morang. (Quite new)

joe...
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal