i30 Owners Club

Weird noise on startup :(

panda · 120 · 45842

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Hey everyone.

Still loving my baby and I will likely be taking it to get it checked but thought I'd get some tips (and some sympathy!) from those who know  :blubber:

It doesn't happen all the time and generally it's only on start up when the car is cold (so first time we start it in the day) but my car has decided to make a strange noise. Sort of sounds like a fan belt slipping maybe or some other kind of whirring/slipping noise.

It's hard to pinpoint, lasts maybe a second or 2 and the first couple of times it happened I thought it was the radio coming on it was so quick. So far it hasn't done it when the car is warm or has been driven that day already at some point.

I know this time it's not just me (unlike my sunglasses rattle  :snigger:) because the other half is hearing it too.

Any thoughts? Should I bother my service centre with this given that it probably won't do it for them as it's intermittent and only on a cold start? I don't want to look like an idiot (again!)

Thanks!
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Our recent fuel injection problem with Lila, was also a cold start scenario, I left the car overnight and clearly instructed them to be aware, at 1st startup, which they were. I can only suggest you explain and do likewise.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm sure it will be fine panda but best to get it checked  :goodjob: Have you checked the oil level recently?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I would follow Phil's advice.

Maybe record the sound if possible and present it to the dealer when leaving the car there.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Thank you all :)

Phil, I'll definitely tell them that (don't want to have no car overnight, it's our one and only  :blubber:)

Dazzler, honestly no, the cars barely done 2000kms and a couple of months old but I'll take a peek (I know I should probably be checking it more often  :-[)

Asterix that's a good idea. I might hover in the garage with one of the kids ipods or something while the husband starts the car this week and see if we can catch it :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If you give them some notice they should give you a loan car.

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Awesome  :goodjob2: Although sometimes that's scarier than having your own. I hired a car once when our old one was in being fixed and the husband was away for work. I was too scared to take it out of my driveway  :scared:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, the trouble with loan cars from dealerships is the ridiculously high "excess" they apply and make you sign for.
As suggested, if possible I'd be recording it for the info of the dealership.
I'd definitely report it though because even if nothing is found now, it is on their system in case it needs further follow-up later.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Yeah, that's the problem. We can't be without a car though because the other half needs it to get to work :( Seems downgrading to one car is more difficult than we though it might be!

The other thing I'm worried about is that when my brother had an issue recently with his brand new ford focus, they told him that he had to pay the money to take a look at it but if they couldn't find anything wrong then it wasn't a warranty job and he'd just be out of pocket. Because the noise might not happen for a week then happen 3 times in one week I can guarantee it won't do it while it's there  :rolleyes: then we might have to pay a small fortune just to have it logged :(

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Ahh no, I didn't find that. Thanks :) I'm pretty sure ours starts when you actually start the engine but I'll try putting the accessories on first and see if I can hear the same noise before I start it up.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Nope, haven't been around much the last couple of weeks (life got in the way of my internet fun dammit!). Thanks. Yeah, I guess that could be it too. I'll have to keep an eye on that thread and see what happens :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey everyone.

Still loving my baby and I will likely be taking it to get it checked but thought I'd get some tips (and some sympathy!) from those who know  :blubber:

It doesn't happen all the time and generally it's only on start up when the car is cold (so first time we start it in the day) but my car has decided to make a strange noise. Sort of sounds like a fan belt slipping maybe or some other kind of whirring/slipping noise.

It's hard to pinpoint, lasts maybe a second or 2 and the first couple of times it happened I thought it was the radio coming on it was so quick. So far it hasn't done it when the car is warm or has been driven that day already at some point.

I know this time it's not just me (unlike my sunglasses rattle  :snigger:) because the other half is hearing it too.

Any thoughts? Should I bother my service centre with this given that it probably won't do it for them as it's intermittent and only on a cold start? I don't want to look like an idiot (again!)

Thanks!

I had a bit of a whine in my car. It took me a while to narrow it down, but I found once I got the Wife out of the car it stopped  :snigger:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hey everyone.

Thanks!

I had a bit of a whine in my car. It took me a while to narrow it down, but I found once I got the Wife out of the car it stopped  :snigger:

:lol:
I had one too once but I spilled some on the seat.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline billiejoe87

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woy Woy
Nope, haven't been around much the last couple of weeks (life got in the way of my internet fun dammit!). Thanks. Yeah, I guess that could be it too. I'll have to keep an eye on that thread and see what happens :)
Make sure you read the other threads through as it can help. My car only whines once the engine is actually started. I found a LOT of Elantra's make the noise I experience. Have a listen to the youtube video below (The noise between around the 5th and 7th second marks is what I experience).

• Hyundai i30 2012 Active

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

:lol: @ the wife and spilled whine.

@billiejoe87, I JUST scrolled through that thread and found the video. I'm 99% sure that's the exact sound I'm hearing (obviously I'm hearing it from inside the car). Thank you so much for sharing that! Sort of nice to know I'm not alone and imagining sounds coming from my car that don't really exist.

Offline billiejoe87

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woy Woy

@billiejoe87, I JUST scrolled through that thread and found the video. I'm 99% sure that's the exact sound I'm hearing (obviously I'm hearing it from inside the car). Thank you so much for sharing that! Sort of nice to know I'm not alone and imagining sounds coming from my car that don't really exist.

Glad I could help :)

I get the same noise as well inside the car for 1-2 seconds and some days it happens, some it doesn't. It is a very well known occurrence with Elantra's, not so much I30's funnily enough as they share the same basic structure.

Hyundai replaced my oil pump, same as the bloke in the other thread is getting done. The noise went away for 3 weeks then came back. I've emailed the regional manager at Hyundai who I am dealing with, with the video above from youtube to have him further investigate it.

If you are unable to reach a conclusion at the dealership (I wasn't, as my local dealership is both lazy and seemingly incompetent), maybe a few of us experiencing this should band together and jointly email Hyundai, as maybe people power will help make a difference. Of course in the meantime if anyone manages to find the definite cause in the meantime, please share it! Although I'm not holding my breath as the countless Elantra forums state that Hyundai tells them the noise is non damaging and to live with it.
  • Hyundai i30 2012 Active

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I get the same noise as well inside the car for 1-2 seconds and some days it happens, some it doesn't. It is a very well known occurrence with Elantra's, not so much I30's funnily enough as they share the same basic structure.

Hyundai replaced my oil pump, same as the bloke in the other thread is getting done. The noise went away for 3 weeks then came back. I've emailed the regional manager at Hyundai who I am dealing with, with the video above from youtube to have him further investigate it.

If you are unable to reach a conclusion at the dealership (I wasn't, as my local dealership is both lazy and seemingly incompetent), maybe a few of us experiencing this should band together and jointly email Hyundai, as maybe people power will help make a difference. Of course in the meantime if anyone manages to find the definite cause in the meantime, please share it! Although I'm not holding my breath as the countless Elantra forums state that Hyundai tells them the noise is non damaging and to live with it.

The dealers are only really interested in overcharging for scheduled servicing. If they can avoid less profitable warranty work, they will.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

My husband said he's not sure it's the noise, but I've heard it far more than he has (I seem to be the one who starts the car first thing for some reason though). It's such a quick noise sometimes you're not even sure you have heard it! And yes, ours is the same, seems to do it very randomly.

I'll see if I hear it again (we've been on a weeks hiatus from it this week) and put the video on my phone or something and take it in, see what they say. If I get nowhere I'll definitely let you know. You're right, power in numbers :) I'll also let you know if they do anything (although it seems like their fix isn't a permanent one sadly).

My parents own the same car and have heard no such noise. Very strange.

Beerman, sadly typical of many places and companies these days!

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all, I have the exact same noise on my 2013 i30.  Happens pretty much every morning and is also now doing it after I leave work about 4 hours after I get there.
I organised to leave it overnight at dealership but of course it didn't make the noise did it!  I have also videod it but they say they need to hear it in person so might try again next week! 
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Welcome to the forum, Purple.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome to the forum  Purple,

There is a huge amount of information available here and we welcome your participation.

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

Hi purple, welcome to the forum :) Sorry you're having the same noise :( I haven't taken mine in yet because oddly enough, ever since I threatened to, we've not heard the noise once! If it does it though it's definitely on it's way. Good luck with it and do let me know how you get on with the situation :)

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks all  :)  Except for the weird noise I love the car so far so hopefully it's not much of an issue would love to know what it is though!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Apart from being noticeable and possibly annoying, my guess is, either a vacuum device or oil pressure, altering it's state from rest to running, only temporary and definitely not dangerous to the engine.

Offline inghome

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I hope you're right. Mine is doing it too. :)
  • I30 Active

Offline the everyman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I often have an annoying whining noise issuing from the passenger seat. It only occurs when transporting people of the female persuasion. Weird, huh?  :snigger:
  • FD i30 SX 5-Speed

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I often have an annoying whining noise issuing from the passenger seat. It only occurs when transporting people of the female persuasion. Weird, huh?  :snigger:
As I said, apart from being noticeable and possibly annoying, my guess is, it's only temporary and definitely not dangerous to the engine. :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it could be the starter motor not recoiling back quick enough,spinning on the ring gear for a second or two.  :idea: :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal