i30 Owners Club

Bike Rack for i30 Possible Solutions?

vnagappa · 44 · 21307

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone here has used a trunk rack for mountain their bike to their i30? I am a keen mountain biker and since purchasing the i30 if had a hard time working out if a suitable system exists (without installing a tow bar).

I have the i30 Premium model which I think cannot have roof racks installed?

The type of rack I've been trying to use is the Saris Bones 3. https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t
  • i30 Premium

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just looked at those racks, vnagappa and it appears they don't have a rack to suit your i30...  :undecided:

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
Crap! I was hoping to go for roof mounted racks but the i30s with sunroofs do not have an option.

I think the only option is to get a towbar installed and mount a bike rack onto it....not the cheapest solution :(
  • i30 Premium

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I agree, like you say, it's certainly not a cheap solution though.  :(

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
But it would be more streamlined, keep a low centre of gravity and the towbar is there for other uses too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I doubt I would use one of these type racks on my car,just looking at some of the prices on their main page,I think I would be going down the towbar avenue,similar costs and then you are able to tow a trailer if you wish to.

as far as the roof rack thought,I have a feind with the newest veloster,hers still has the access tabs for fitting roof racks,hers has the glass roof and sunroof,but again if it was me I would be going down the tow bar track
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
One of my work mates uses something like this: http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/thule-clip-on-high-2-bike-carrier-ba9106.html. Straps on to his CW's tail gate. He uses a simpler cheaper version for one bike only.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Hati

Yes I see more and more of these type around,personally again I wouldn't use one,the possibilty of them being able to damage the paint work would always be a worry to me personally,for an extra $80 on that one in your link,here in Perth you could have a tow bar fitted,opens up a whole new feild of use for your vehicle, as many on here can varify these little cars make great economical tow cars(as long as you don't go overboard) anyhow only my opinions,probably not helping poor vnagappa make a decission, forgot to mention I also over here see so many of the tow bar fitted bike racks being given away PPL don't want them any more,I need to get one for Bruce so I can carry my MB around
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think the towbar fitted rack is awesome. I got one for the Commodore and it's still in the shed for a rainy day ... er ... sunny day.  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Well Rick, it's true, you could get a tow bar for $80 more, but vnagappa doesn't want that, just the rack. I have a tow bar mounted 4 bike rack, that brings its own problems. When you park up to go riding, you don't want to leave the rack on the car (well I don't) in case someone has funny ideas, so need to take it off and need room to store it in the car. My car is full of work stuff in the back, so I have to remove all that before riding or risk someone stealing it. I have the Haymen-Reece style bar, so one pin removed is all it takes to have the rack and the tow ball stolen.

The rack I've seen is a single bike version, cheaper than the linked item and two starps is all it takes to remove it. Storing it is easier too.

If I was to take only one bike, I would seriously consider getting one, despite having the 4 bike rack and tow bar already.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Hati
if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your haymen reece style tow bar,I got to get one on Cyril and I don't want the fixed one like I got on Bruce, I know it's only two bolts to take out,but one pin is easier than two bolts  :whistler:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Was around the $400 mark, I got it from the dealer when I bought the car (Morley), supply only.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline vnagappa

• 1st Gear
thanks for the all the replies gents!

I think the only option is to install a tow bar. I thought it would be a good idea to put down here the best price I got quoted (if you happen to be living in Sydney).

It's the Hayman Reece variety which easily clips off. I think thats nice so you don't have the tow ball sticking out at the end of the car, and it's installed by a company called Carousel. I was quoted $425 installed.

BTW I was quoted $815 to have Hyundai install their original version.

Cheers again.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Cheers again.

Which IS a Hayman Reece minus the original stickers that Hyundai replaces. Here in Perth at least :) You are ahead either way.  :goodjob2:
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks PPL,I'll have to start some wheeling and dealing,I would love the get the HR style towbar for Cyril,but I only paid $425 supply and fit bar and wiring for the one I got,so sounds like the HR one is sold at a premium,Thanks again for the info

Offline Hman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

It's the Hayman Reece variety which easily clips off. I think thats nice so you don't have the tow ball sticking out at the end of the car, and it's installed by a company called Carousel. I was quoted $425 installed.

Cheers again.

Was $815 when you bought the car or later on?
Which dealer? The cheapest quote I've found so far in Sydney is $1000 fitted at Heartland.
  • 2012 Sleek Silver i30cw CRDi 6 Speed

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Cheers again.

Which IS a Hayman Reece minus the original stickers that Hyundai replaces. Here in Perth at least :) You are ahead either way.  :goodjob2:
they can get in the shite for that.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Cheers again.

they can get in the shite for that.  :idea:
I think it's OK. The car manufacturers do a deal with Hayman Reece to supply the product to them re-branded.
I had one on my Subaru Liberty.

Years ago I got roof racks with a company car I bought and told them I wanted the Rola Racks.
The car, a Magna, came with Rola Racks but with a Mitsubishi sticker where the Rola one would be. I talked to a friend who at that time was an agent for Rola in Brisbane and he explained it to me.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanks for that Trev.  :cool:  i thought i could buy a heap of i30s and re badge them as 2i30s,make a buck or two.  :snigger: :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
thanks for that Trev.  :cool:  i thought i could buy a heap of i30s and re badge them as 2i30s,make a buck or two.  :snigger: :whistler:

Go ahead.
I'll give you permission.

"Authorised by Surferdude"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :happydance: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

That's not as silly as it sounds.. You could advertise them as 2i30s for just a little more than the price of one  :happydance: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i'll go broke.  :Shocked: :snigger:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

No No.

YOu need a marketing manager.
Buy ONE i30
Rebadge it as 2i30s and add the "Authorised by Surferdude" on the hatch somewhere as a sticker.

Then, You could advertise them it as 2i30s for just a little more than the price of one.

Job done.  :goodjob: :goodjob2: :snigger:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
sure you blokes weren't former cars salesmen

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
no,but a mate of mine once told me i could sell ice to an Eskimo.  :winker: :snigger:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
sure you blokes weren't former cars salesmen
Even worse. I sold tyres.  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

No No.

Buy ONE i30
Rebadge it as 2i30s and add the "Authorised by Surferdude" on the hatch somewhere as a sticker.

Then, You could advertise them it as 2i30s for just a little more than the price of one.

Thanks Trev that was my thinking :D

..and I am a former car salesman (even if it was only 3 weeks)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

No No.

Buy ONE i30

Thanks Trev that was my thinking :D

..and I am a former car salesman (even if it was only 3 weeks)

I am a former Car Yard Owner and Salesman and I wouldn't even stink that low,OR WOULD I  :whistler:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Next you'll be selling Persian rugs at the weekly closing down sales!  :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal