Looks fairly likely Australia will get the i10

Dazzler · 41 · 7648

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interestingly the vote for/against bringing it to OZ was 84%/16% when I checked the results  :eek:

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/hyundai-i10-revealed-20130807
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well good luck. Over here it'd be in the "ugly bracket"... a really nondescript vehicle. One of my neighbours now has one.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Interesting.
I have a friend (no, really, I do) who is a car person and drives some nice machinery.
His daily driver is a new 5 series diesel BMW and he also owns 30 + Leyland P76.  :lol:
He hired a Hyundai i20 in the eastern states a while ago and was very impressed with the car for what it did within its class.
He also recently hired (for an extended period) an i45 and did not like it at all.
He said it felt old school, dated and not up to the standard of the latest Toyota Camry which I thought was interesting.
He is generally pro-Hyundai.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not as nicely styled as most of their bigger stuff.. they will sell a few for sure but that size isn't a big seller in Oz  :undecided:

30 + P76 = P106  :whistler:

But seriously Dave, is he going to try and make one good one  :snigger:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Oh what a difference 2 years makes.

Tony O'Kane | Oct 17, 2011

Hyundai Motor Company Australia has confirmed that the i10 city car is not going to be sold in this country, with concerns about its ability to achieve a five-star ANCAP rating cited as the main hurdle.

Speaking to TMR at the recent i40 Tourer launch, HMCA's Product Planning Manager Andrew Tuitahi said that the "i10 is not on the horizon for us".

Mr Tuitahi said the lack of a 5-Star Euro NCAP rating (and, thus, ditto for ANCAP) for the i10 made it a poor fit with the rest of Hyundai's 5-Star local line up. The diminutive hatchback scored just four stars under Euro NCAP testing.

The popularity of the model in overseas markets also raises the prospect of supply constraints, further dampening the business case for an Australian-delivered i10.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But he didn't qualify his statement with, "until there's a new model".
Make a good politician.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
There are shedloads of these on the roads in India, the old one at least and probably the new ones as well once they start churning them out the factory there. The Indian model is pretty basic but gets the job done which is why I am guessing they'll be bringing in a EU spec model instead. I'd suspect it would make a good town car for cheap here but would need to have some frills like maybe cc, bluetooth, electric windows etc which is all considered standard fare these days.

As an aside the motor industry in India is fascinating with massive hi tech plants churning out thousands of cars each day. I do believe some of the low end Suzukis sold here originate from India and possibly the i20 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_India_Limited
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There are shedloads of these on the roads in India, the old one at least and probably the new ones as well once they start churning them out the factory there. The Indian model is pretty basic but gets the job done which is why I am guessing they'll be bringing in a EU spec model instead. I'd suspect it would make a good town car for cheap here but would need to have some frills like maybe cc, bluetooth, electric windows etc which is all considered standard fare these days.

As an aside the motor industry in India is fascinating with massive hi tech plants churning out thousands of cars each day. I do believe some of the low end Suzukis sold here originate from India and possibly the i20 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_India_Limited
Yep. Our i20 comes from there.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Not as nicely styled as most of their bigger stuff.. they will sell a few for sure but that size isn't a big seller in Oz  :undecided:

Dazz that's a bit below the belt obviously you not driven or owned a P76,if they bought them out new today with some of the refinements we have on vehicles today,I would be in the line to buy one.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Well good luck. Over here it'd be in the "ugly bracket"... a really nondescript vehicle. One of my neighbours now has one.
well just like the Yaris,Nissan Micra,the new GDI30,IMHO and many other new cars out there they are all starting to look the same,I pulled up behind a brand spanker Toyota Carolla the other day and had great trouble in differentiating whether it was a Toyota or a I30 from the back and side,even the front was very similar,I'm positive they just have one designer world wide these days designing ALL the cars
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I reckon this new one looks quite nice.... :goodjob:

Certainly much better than the Holden Barina Spark we have over here....Now there's a car that has been badly beaten with the ugly stick!  :lol:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
that actually looks like the Tata their pumping out by the millions in India and selling for less than $2000 over there to get more poverty prone PPL into cars

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
picture isn't coming up for me.but knowing your detective skills probably yes thats the one long time since I watched the show on their manufacture

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Bugger, that's what happens when you steal pics and post them the lazy way.... :-[

Here you go....

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:21:37 by rustynutz »

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
i10 is really suitable for us here. Grand i10 even looks much better.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thats the one Rusty was just about to post this

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
someone mentioned the I20's as well,when we were looking the only reason we never bought the second car as an I20 was it didn't come with a diesel motor

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The Euro spec i10 has electric windows, USB, RDS etc etc, so I suspect that the Oz version will pretty much mimic that.  Doubt it will have CC but then that is not really a requirement of a town car.

Whilst it is not the prettiest, it is much more aesthetically pleasing than the Nano or the Spark, which incidentally is a bloody horrible drive as well as looker, I have had both as courtesy cars and would pick the i10 everytime!

Interesting that you don't get the i20 in CRDi trim in Australia, here we can get them with either a. 1.1 or 1.4 CRDi plant.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
theres a lot of cars and car specs you get over there we never see,same as the V6 coupe they get in the states,don't get em here,if the I20 at the time had the 1.4 CRDi I ould ave had one instead of two I30's,I thought they were when I test drove one a fairly comfortable and nice drive.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz that's a bit below the belt obviously you not driven or owned a P76,if they bought them out new today with some of the refinements we have on vehicles today,I would be in the line to buy one.

Steady up.. I was only having a lend ( I don't mind them)  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
sorry Dazz forgot to put in the laughing emodicons,was only pulling ya leg  :razz:,but stick by the last nine words,  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

sorry Dazz forgot to put in the laughing emodicons,was only pulling ya leg  :razz:,but stick by the last nine words,  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Yep, that big boot would be handy for starters  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

He has many, many good and great ones, to the point where he could quite easily put on his own car show.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

^ Dave  :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Me too.
In fact I would like to one day build a "new" P76.
The guy that owns 30 + of them recently sold a VE Calais 6 litre V8.
It had a pretty easy life as his company car and had done 100,000 kms when sold.
He usually has a new Holden or FPV in the garage, but as I said, he now has a 5 series BMW.
Anyhow, he made the comment that a 100,000 km forty year old P76 that he recently bought from over east, is tighter and nicer to drive at those kms than the VE Calais which had done the same kms.
He said the Calais felt decidedly loose and clapped out.
So yes, I'd love a "new" P76. It's on my wish list.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal