Back to riding a bicycle!

Keith · 188 · 37145

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Say hi to Tony Abbott for us (I'm sure he'll pop up at some point :rolleyes:)

Well i did meet a tony abbott walking his dog along the sea wall.
Don't think it was your TA but a chap i worked with many moons ago.

Just back after a 16 mile round trip.

Enjoyed it but the wind was full on going and as sods law would have it, it was full on on the return.

As i was on the coastal route the tide turned so the wind direction also turned!!,

Surely you go bike riding to get exercise and burn off some calories. In which case the wind did you a favour............... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Say hi to Tony Abbott for us (I'm sure he'll pop up at some point :rolleyes:)

Well i did meet a tony abbott walking his dog along the sea wall.
Don't think it was your TA but a chap i worked with many moons ago.

Wow what are the chances of that coincidence  :eek: :faint:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I haven't been on my bike since my "incident" in my  clip-on pedals the day I fitted them... :-[
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thursday morning, got on my MC road 480k only stopping to refuel once. i was covered in dead bugs on arrival @ friends farm, we went out for dinner. then next morning ( this morning) had a healthy breakfast as they are health fanatic's., my friend had BP98 & filled my fuel tank so i did not need to refuel b4 leaving. i road the 480K home stopping to refuel once. on my return home, i thought why not get my pushy out ride 8 k up coast to visit a m8 see if the MC riding had helped or made me lazy. i was surprised how easy i did it, had a cup of tea & helped him remove or extract a stump from his yard then road the 8k home. my arms feel like i've been lifting weights & stressed muscles but not to worry, loved the ride.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well yesterday wasgetting exercize on my pushy, had just came down a hill and though it was a big black pipe laying on the path, but as I got closer saw it's a snake  probably red belly black snake ) about same time I relised it was a snake , it saw me & thankfully got out the way  :Shocked: :)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Phew man that's something that doesn't happen here for sure  :eek:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unfortunately (?!), a couple of weeks ago I reduced the Tasmanian Tiger snake numbers by one, out alongside Lake Pedder.

Mitsubishi Outlander : 1
Snakes : 0

:disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
AFAIC,  :happydance:

Yesterday a friend lost their 8 month old Siamese, to a Brown snake. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phew man that's something that doesn't happen here for sure  :eek:
PK, funny you should mention that as my friend here moved from England with his family about 35 years back, &I've noticed he has always been fascinated by snakes, he has a friendly big python lives near him and visits he leave feed.  myself I was not used to seeing them in Sydney but see them down here & out west, & in NQ & Tassie they have huge ones up NQ

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

those browns bad killed my nephews pet dog & was a report a lady died just other day from a brown snake bite  that they think she did not even know she had been bitten, so did not take action.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

The only snakes here work in either the Utilities ( electricity / gas etc) banks or Money Loans companies!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

those browns bad killed my nephews pet dog & was a report a lady died just other day from a brown snake bite  that they think she did not even know she had been bitten, so did not take action.

A Brown snake just born the size of a pencil contains enough venom to KILL 30 men.  :Shocked:

They are short fanged but the strength of their venom compensates for that. If bound and you keep calm (hard to do), you actually have a few hours to get medical help, but there was another case here in SA where a council worker thought he was scratched by a blackberry bush, turned out to be a brown, he died.  :fum:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I think we secretly exported all our venomous creatures just before we started posting our convicts out there! Jesus H Christ life is a challenge in the beautiful land!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nah, life is good in Oz....The snakes aren't a problem unless you stir them up. Even then they'd rather sliver away than attack you.  :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Except for the King Brown in QLD, he'll chase you if he's angry enough. Typical Queenslander.   :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Then there's the spiders... And sharks... Poisonous stingy Rays in the sea... Is the sky a safe place to be there?  :rofl:

Seems our ancestors here were real smart after all!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Then there's the spiders... And sharks... Poisonous stingy Rays in the sea... Is the sky a safe place to be there?  :rofl:

Don't forget the blue ringed octopus, the stonefish and box jellyfish.
As for the sky, don't forget fatboy flies here. As well as Squadron Leader Gonz.  :scared: :faint:

And the stingrays aren't poisonous. They just stab you in the heart.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yep, I think we've stopped a mass exodus from GB.  :razz:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yep, I think we've stopped a mass exodus from GB.  :razz:

:rofl: nah... The Sport is shite there lol! Now Mew Zealand WOULD be worth the risks!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Keith I trust animal's, & love them. they can tell good from bad & if your scared.
But Jack the ripper is another story, also people that blow things up ( we have them too but more room to get out there way ) it's all good m8 i'll get over there one day & your welcome here. I only have to walk over the road to see giant manta rays, they are beautiful and graceful to watch. much better seeing them in there natural habitat than in an aquarium & you can dive in play with them LOL

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Just give is a shout when you come to see the first ever bridge made of iron Lakes me lad, it's right nearby here & we have some spare room for a friendly weary traveller lol!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey thanks Keith, did the Romans build it?
& thanks for the offer, have a bed here too.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Lol @ the Romans! No mate, it was built in the 18th century by Abraham Darby! Here's a brief outline :0)

The area around Ironbridge is described by those promoting it as a tourist destination as the "Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution". This description is based on the idea that Abraham Darby perfected the technique of smelting iron with coke, in Coalbrookdale, allowing much cheaper production of iron. However, the industrial revolution did not "begin" in one place, but in many.

Smelting iron by Darby was but one small part of this generalised revolution and was soon superseded by the great iron-smelting areas. However, the bridge – being the first of its kind fabricated from cast iron, and one of the few which have survived to the present day – remains an important symbol representative of the dawn of the industrial age.[citation needed]

The grandson of the first Abraham Darby, Abraham Darby III, built the famous bridge – originally designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard – to link the two areas. Construction began in 1779 and the bridge opened on New Year's Day 1781. Soon afterwards the ancient Madeley market was relocated to the new purpose-built square and Georgian Butter Cross and the former dispersed settlement of Madeley Wood gained a planned urban focus as Ironbridge, the commercial and administrative centre of the Coalbrookdale coalfield.

The Iron Bridge proprietors also built the Tontine Hotel to accommodate visitors to the new bridge and the industrial sites of the Severn Gorge. On the hillside above the river are situated the stone-built 16th-century hunting lodge at Lincoln Hill, many 17th- and 18th-century workers cottages, some imposing Georgian houses built by ironmasters and mine and canal barge owners, and many early Victorian villas built from the various coloured bricks and tiles of the locality.

St Luke's Church (1837) in simple Commissioners' Gothic by Samuel Smith of Madeley, has stained glass by David Evans of Shrewsbury. The living was endowed as a rectory when the parish was created from Madeley in 1847 and is now a united with Coalbrookdale and Little Wenlock, in the Diocese of Hereford.

The former Iron Bridge and Broseley railway station, on the Severn Valley line (GWR) from Hartlebury to Shrewsbury, was situated on the south side of the Iron Bridge until 1966. The village was the birthplace of England National Football Team captain Billy Wright.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Talking of poisonous snakes I'm hoping I don't have to kill any this year..

Just ordered a couple of these Solar Snake Repellers from oo.com for $35 delivered...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grassland-Park-Solar-Pulsing-Vibration-Wave-Snakes-Moles-Voles-Repeller-hv2n-/300896054558?pt=AU_Pest_Control&hash=item460ecd6d1e

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds like a roo shoo , do they work Dazz? made in China

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like a roo shoo , do they work Dazz? made in China

Not sure if they are the same brand as these (but the same idea)

Reviews on the net of similar products are less than positive..  :confused:

Most of the stuff I found was a couple of years old and they used to be heaps dearer... :undecided:

If they don't work I could whip them out and bang the snake over the head with the heavy end  :whistler: :snigger:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Talking of poisonous snakes I'm hoping I don't have to kill any this year..

Just ordered a couple of these Solar Snake Repellers from oo.com for $35 delivered...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grassland-Park-Solar-Pulsing-Vibration-Wave-Snakes-Moles-Voles-Repeller-hv2n-/300896054558?pt=AU_Pest_Control&hash=item460ecd6d1e

The only good snake is a dead snake Daz.  I hate the things, had a couple in my yard over the years. :Shocked:  God knows why they are a protected species. :undecided: :scared:

As for snake repellents, perhaps a big sharp shovel?  :rofl:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As for snake repellents, perhaps a big sharp shovel?  :rofl:

That worked for me last year  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal