i30 Owners Club

Back to riding a bicycle!

Keith · 188 · 36383

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got tired of the creaking in my bike when pedaling and replaced the crank bearings today.
Nice and quiet now.
$8 for the parts.

Good Trev , i can't hear them creak but feel it if its bad, was there much play in crank & did you get the big crank bearings?
Like you, I "feel" it rather than hear it.
Don't know what "Big crank bearings" are.  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
do k mart give you a test ride?

One of the girls in K-mart offered to many years ago  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Blimey, what have you got that I haven't.  :Pout:

Don't answer that.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Tested my SPD shoes with cleated Shimano pedals today with the inevitable first timer result.   :-[
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Got tired of the creaking in my bike when pedaling and replaced the crank bearings today.
Nice and quiet now.
$8 for the parts.

Good Trev , i can't hear them creak but feel it if its bad, was there much play in crank & did you get the big crank bearings?
Like you, I "feel" it rather than hear it.
Don't know what "Big crank bearings" are.  :disapp:

Well to tell you the truth i don't know that much but, the last bike i had the crank & bearing was warn bad, so i asked about stronger bearings & crank with this bike & guy showed me the road race bikes have a bigger crank bearing ( bigger diam & wider apart ) when you know & look you can see what bikes or frames use the bigger bearings. but you got new bearings now.
& not sure if inter changeable but sure you could fit them just not positive.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Tested my SPD shoes with cleated Shimano pedals today with the inevitable first timer result.   :-[

Hey Keith sorry to hear that hope no skin off. i had clip on's on a road race bike years ago that used racing single's ( glued to rim tyres ) i was racing on a footpath & another bike came around a bend at us steered off path & front wheel followed edge of path , i went ass over tit. feet got stuck in the clip on's, the new style peddle shoe combo looks much better but i'll never use that type again , even though i know you get up force as well as down force, i'm not racing just exercising.

but you will notice you go faster, easier.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

good for you Dazz, was that on a bicycle built for two? LOL

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't ride bikes, but how do you wear out a crank bearing, they must really be made of rubbish, compared to any bearing in a car which can rotate millions of times, with considerably more force applied than 1/4 hp leg muscle, I would have thought the crank would outlast the bike.  :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't ride bikes, but how do you wear out a crank bearing, they must really be made of rubbish, compared to any bearing in a car which can rotate millions of times, with considerably more force applied than 1/4 hp leg muscle, I would have thought the crank would outlast the bike.  :eek:

Phil cars have oil forced into the bearing they use, on a pushy totally different grease sealed bearing more like a car wheel bearing, & car wheel bearing don't last that long.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Phil cars have oil forced into the bearing they use, on a pushy totally different grease sealed bearing more like a car wheel bearing, & car wheel bearing don't last that long.

Phil, I assumed you were referring to wheel bearings in a car, but John seems to have answered as if you meant engine bearings.
He's right of course, but in fact crank bearings on a bike are more like wheel bearings - (ball race, not slipper type). However, they are very cheap and "should" last but the bikes I have are cheap Chinese ones so I imagine they're pretty basic. Certainly when you clean them off they've worn enough to fall out of the race (cage) and look like whatever case hardening they had is gone.
John, you may be able to replace them with heavier ones, but would need to do the crank (axle) as well. Mine was "sort of" serviceable. I could see some chattering type marks but the guy at the bike shop reckoned it was fine and he'd seen much worse.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Hey Keith sorry to hear that hope no skin off. i had clip on's on a road race bike years ago that used racing single's ( glued to rim tyres ) i was racing on a footpath & another bike came around a bend at us steered off path & front wheel followed edge of path , i went ass over tit. feet got stuck in the clip on's, the new style peddle shoe combo looks much better but i'll never use that type again , even though i know you get up force as well as down force, i'm not racing just exercising.

but you will notice you go faster, easier.

:0) well no, no skin damage but I sprained my thumb stickin my hand out to stop my fall lol! I hadn't tightened up the cleat on my right shoe after trialling "in & out" for a while on my left shoe! Noob mistake but one i sincerely hope I don't make again!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've wanted a bike for quite a while now, but the problem is, I live in the hills so whichever way I go I'd need to be an Olympic athlete to either get there or get home.  :disapp:

Otherwise, I'd quite enjoy being out on two wheels.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Same excuse I use too.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
A mate lives on a farm at top of a big hill, 30 k out of a country town. he rides a MC when he has time, but not a pushy.
he is always having a go at me , they were up the gold coast & he would send me a sms, saying all these old farts riding fancy push bikes from cafe to cafe up here  :rofl:.
then last xmas i get together with him & his two brothers, one brother thats only a year diff than him got a road race pushy that cost more than his Ducati MC & has electronic gear shift (push button ) he had just ridden with a group from Brisbane to Mount Buller VIC & back, he was looking very fit. anyway after the elections , i'm saying to my friend , Tony Abbott rides a pushy & looks fit like his brother & he models himself more on Clive Palmer . My m8 said he will have to get a pushy himself.
Dave & Phil you can transport your pushy in the car to a suitable spot to start riding it. ;)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Dave & Phil you can transport your pushy in the car to a suitable spot to start riding it. ;)

Tried that. It won't fit.  :sweating:

Rusty, I want one, things work slowly over here.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Tried that. It won't fit.  :sweating:

Rusty, I want one, things work slowly over here.

Dave if you want a Motorbike hope you get one, about fitting a pushy in the i30, i can fit mine in with seat down & front wheel removed ( easy & quick to remove front wheel ) but i've also got a quick fit & remove bike carrier that hold the tow bar ball, used to use it on my old i30 but no tow bar on this one.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

My i30 must be smaller.
I'm sure a bike won't fit.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
You blokes are making me feel quite ill with all this exercise talk, I will continue to stumble around my golf course on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.  www.catalinacountryclub.com.au

But it is raining down here today, so bugger golf. :( :twisted: So I might load up the boss and take the i30 for a drive down the coast, bugger, no I won't, I just detailed it yesterday, don't want to get it dirty again.
 :blubber:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My i30 must be smaller.
I'm sure a bike won't fit.  :)
Mine's just a hatch.
Can fit a bike in without removing any wheels, just lay the back seats down normally - don't have to be flat but it makes it easier.
In fact, I fitted 2 in once. Mine and my daughters.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:head_butt:

I'm sure a bike won't fit in mine.
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

"twill even fit in my daughter;s Accent. :disapp:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thank's PK, image #46 is what i have, work's well easy on & off. holds bikes secure. can remove fast & easy to store in car while out riding, but the cycleway i use is across the road.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

"twill even fit in my daughter;s Accent. :disapp:

I'm assuming she has a "broad" Accent?   :whistler:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
For me it's cos I leave home in one direction (downhill lots initially then up a bit) and I come home the other way, which is up higher than the start of my journey and then down a bit...

read this and thought of this!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Taking an "out of office" day today.

Off for a bike ride this morning.

First time for about 3 weeks due to the poor weather and me doing other things e.g. reg of electors canvas.

Sunny, slight north wind and temp around 12c.

The route or rowt in american speak, i'm going on will be mostly flat with the odd DOWN HILL taking in the sea embankment from new brighton thro' to meols, pronounces meels.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Say hi to Tony Abbott for us (I'm sure he'll pop up at some point :rolleyes:)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Say hi to Tony Abbott for us (I'm sure he'll pop up at some point :rolleyes:)

Well i did meet a tony abbott walking his dog along the sea wall.
Don't think it was your TA but a chap i worked with many moons ago.

Just back after a 16 mile round trip.

Enjoyed it but the wind was full on going and as sods law would have it, it was full on on the return.

As i was on the coastal route the tide turned so the wind direction also turned!!,

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal