Back to riding a bicycle!

Keith · 188 · 36384

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
! Be a while before I take on a double figure trip as ill have to prepare with some glucose fuel in case I get a sugar crash!

Pint has all the goodness one needs to sustain energy - hops, barley, sugar, yeast and not forgetting aqua
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

For me it's cos I leave home in one direction (downhill lots initially then up a bit) and I come home the other way, which is up higher than the start of my journey and then down a bit...

Sounds like one of those odd illusions.

Ps

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Every now and then, almost like clockwork, here in Melb the subject of rego for bicycles comes up.  I imagine that it would cost more to administer this than the revenue raised and that is why it is not introduced.  But the subject keeps coming up.  Morons.  Many, many cyclists would also have registered cars and by cycling, they are actually reducing traffic congestion for those of us who are too lazy, too stupid or find it impractical to cycle.

The cyclist who hit and killed the rider near Geelong: the judge or prosecutor thought he was checking his text/phone or whatever.  I would jail drivers who kill cyclists for 5 - 10 years.  The message would get out there.

Interesting item from our news:

A young driver who boasted on Twitter about hitting a cyclist appears in court on Friday. Her tweet enraged cyclists - not just because of its tone, but because she claimed right of way because #bloodycyclists "don't pay road tax".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Eye my Solicitor rides a Bicycle 5 out of seven days per week, so you don't know who is riding a bike, classic case of don't put someone into a minority group.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Just 1 question.  Why is it that you seem to go up hill more than down?

Even if i did this trip in reverse i still think there would be more ups than downs!

I have a static exercise bike with no wheels and even it only goes up hill.  :sweating:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
put in 32k's yesterday pumping peddles, had two guy's race me, one of them was on a fixed drive high gear Retro style, looked good black with red rim's, he was a fit looking big guy about 35. i was not trying that hard he went past then, must have stretched the chain and chain came off. i went past then went flat out never saw him again. other guy went past on the flat then ran out of puff on first big hill i went past never saw him again eather.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

i was not trying that hard he went past then, must have stretched the chain and chain came off. i went past then went flat out never saw him again. other guy went past on the flat then ran out of puff on first big hill i went past never saw him again eather.

Was that a dream

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
put in 32k's yesterday pumping peddles, had two guy's race me, one of them was on a fixed drive high gear Retro style, looked good black with red rim's, he was a fit looking big guy about 35. i was not trying that hard he went past then, must have stretched the chain and chain came off. i went past then went flat out never saw him again. other guy went past on the flat then ran out of puff on first big hill i went past never saw him again eather.

Not bad for a 65 Y/O are you mate (well done)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

Would have looked awesome on Strava or Cyclemeter!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Would have looked awesome on Strava or Cyclemeter!

Wow do they track other people too  :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I reckon you're a Diesel inside, Lakes.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I reckon you're a Diesel inside, Lakes.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

:brilliant:

I reckon he thought "diesel be easy guys to pass"  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Dazz :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: , it's different being deaf, don't hear them puffing up from behind you. eye thats the only thing i could think of that could possibly cause a high geared ( one gear ) bike to throw the chain off at the crank sprocket  , that or it had so much play in the crank bearings.  i'm sure if a man of your caliber came up from behind, fuelled with what ever rocket  fuel you drink at the pubs you stop at , i would not stand a chance.
Keith, how does your tracker work? i've got no speedo or L / 100K trip computer  :rofl: but look up BUG

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
How long does it take you to do 32 klms, John?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Here's an outline about Strava, (Swedish for Strive I believe)  http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Bike-Computer-Reviews/Strava  you can choose who follows your exploits and who you follow, so you can see who rode where & how fast etc etc

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Trev it was the same rout morning then afternoon 8k one way then 8k back once in morning once in afternoon 45 minutes there 40 minutes back ( more up hill there )

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here's an outline about Strava, (Swedish for Strive I believe)  http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Bike-Computer-Reviews/Strava  you can choose who follows your exploits and who you follow, so you can see who rode where & how fast etc etc

Thanks Keith will look at it.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Trev it was the same rout morning then afternoon 8k one way then 8k back once in morning once in afternoon 45 minutes there 40 minutes back ( more up hill there )

OK. Thanks.

I'm relaying some of the driveway pavers ATM. When I finish that'll give me something to aim for.  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

OK. Thanks.

I'm relaying some of the driveway pavers ATM. When I finish that'll give me something to aim for.  :goodjob:

i got slack today, but had to go to pick up a regent skylight in morning and did some digging & moved some earth. i'll be paving soon but only a small area.
have you got river sand under your pavers/ or road base?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Keith i don't own a smart phone just got a no bell's or whistles Telstra Tough phone

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

John, I know you were talking to Trev, but i have laid over 6000 pavers over the years and I won't use anything but crusher dust ( a finely crushed blue metal mix) it beds down a lot better than sand. 

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

You can manually enter details if you want but one day you'll get century 21!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, we had that as a temp driveway many years ago. Even couch couldn't grow in it, was as hard as concrete.  :goodjob2:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No. Our driveway is pavers laid on a concrete slab and held in place by mortar. A section on one side out on the footpath has broken away. Just a matter of cleaning the mortar off with a masonry wheel on my angle grinder, mixing some fresh mortar and replacing them. In all maybe 2 square meters.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
John, I know you were talking to Trev, but i have laid over 6000 pavers over the years and I won't use anything but crusher dust ( a finely crushed blue metal mix) it beds down a lot better than sand. 

thanks for that Dazz, where do you get it?
had some big pavers layer in courtyard in sydney by pro's they used road base but don't know why, all the pavers we layed had river sand but ants used to get into it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Ours is called crushed dolomite. As I said, watered first and rolled, it goes as har-Dazz.  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe they call it road base over there john, although over here road base is a lot coarser stuff. It is just very finely crushed blue metal. Because it is a bit courser and heavier than fine sand it doesn't move around and settle like sand does.

Landscaping supply places down here all carry it. Hopefully they know what it is up there.

Just did a google search and it is available up there.. :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

OK. Thanks.

Hey Trev , tonight i clocked myself as i went out front door, then on arrival at friends house 8k away more up hill that way took 36min's just riding average as i took yesterday off,
my return trip it was becoming dark & was useing my lights but more down hill than up hill still a few  good climbs that need low gear took 30min door to door but peddling a bit harder

would be good with what Keith has.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Maybe they call it road base over there john, although over here road base is a lot coarser stuff. It is just very finely crushed blue metal. Because it is a bit courser and heavier than fine sand it doesn't move around and settle like sand does.

Landscaping supply places down here all carry it. Hopefully they know what it is up there.

Just did a google search and it is available up there.. :happydance:

hi Dazz thanks for that, you make it sound like another world LOL

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

OK. Thanks.

Hey Trev , tonight i clocked myself as i went out front door, then on arrival at friends house 8k away more up hill that way took 36min's just riding average as i took yesterday off,
my return trip it was becoming dark & was useing my lights but more down hill than up hill still a few  good climbs that need low gear took 30min door to door but peddling a bit harder

would be good with what Keith has.
I mapped out 8 klms from my place into Caloundra the other day and rode it this arvo.
It's pretty flat around our area but I WAS riding into a headwind all the way. Took about 27 minutes.
Dodging joggers, Mums pushing prams, other bike riders, dog walkers, people walkers, skateboarders and fishermen on the side of the canals.
I have 18 speeds but only use the centre cog on the front sprocket and maybe 2 or 3 on the rear. Unless I have to go right down low for a steep pinch.
I don't use all the gears because I'm really trying to exercise and sort of feel that gears make it too easy.
Got a sore bum now.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal