i30 Owners Club

Another Aussie joining what looks like a great site

Peter_AUS · 41 · 10571

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
Just wanted to say hi to everyone being new, a curtesy that doesn't happen on a lot of other sites I know of.

We have a i30 Y11 iCDR Auto and I recently purchased an iX35 SE iCRD 2.0 Auto.

Problems with the i30 but none so far (touch wood) other than somehow getting unleaded in iX35 in August when filling up at Maclean BP, I am sure I had picked the Diesel pump as is my daughter and put in a claim with BP, but that was rejected as they said I used the wrong pump according to CCTV footage. I have asked for a copy of the footage, waited nearly a month with no reply back about that.

So be aware that you can get wrong fuel in Diesel pumps, mine hasn't been the first according to the dealership, has happened quite a lot to other customers.

Unfortunately I didn't have anything to prove that I filled up at the right pump as they billed me incorrectly for the unleaded as well, I didn't notice it when I paid. So now check the pump is correct 3 times and also check with the attendant that I am paying for Diesel fuel. Have been asked why, have heard similar occurrences directly from the attendants as well. Not sure how much further I can take it with BP investigation people not getting a response back from them, only means they are ignoring me. I might ring the ACCC and see what advise they have or if they can get hold of the footage for me.

Pumps for Diesel where in the middle separate from the other pumps which were isolated on either end of the station. So three separate sets of pumps. They were black and both said diesel. I used the low flow and person on the other side used High Flow, didn't know that they had both. Would have been a huge pulling on the pump handle and hose for me to fill with unleaded. As I have a bad back, I park right next to the handle positions to cut down on any strain on my back.

Word of advice, if you do accidentally fill up with unleaded in diesel, don't start the car at all, it can be syphoned out, fill with diesel and you should be pretty OK. Unleaded fuel is lighter than Diesel, so I didn't strike a problem until after about 15 kms as the fuel had mixed itself through movement. Being in the country back road, I had no choice but to continue on no phone reception. As I thought it was originally maybe a bit of dirty fuel I purchased some diesel stabiliser at a shell station south of Grafton, but that didn't do anything at first. The car was stalling a bit on acceleration etc and then started to be a little better. Thought things were OK, but when we stopped at a Caltex service station between Taree/Forster, tried to start the car as was going to refuel the car, but it wouldn't start.

Long story short, ended up being towed back to Pennant Hills at 2.30am with my daughter and I in the car. Hyundai Road Assist, were not even offering at first to assist with getting us home, even though we have top cover for Road Assist. So be careful, might be better sticking with NRMA or RACV/Q/WA or what ever other road service you have. NRMA guy didn't even have a torch, used his iPhone as a light. I was sort of stunned by the fact that certain covers over the engine just pull off, not fixed down in anyway.

Opinion of the iX35 diesel, good on country trips when it comes to fuel usage, recon I could have nearly got to Qld boarder from Carlingford, on one tank, but don't like having tank go much below 1/4 full. Also the estimated fuel to fill up, lies big time, as does the fuel gauge itself, sits on full for a long time, then drops through the 1/8ths quite quickly compared to from full to 7/8th full. Was quite smooth and the turbo when needed, works really well. Driving locally, a bit heavy on the fuel nearly 10L/100Kms city driving, compared with 5.6L/100Kms country driving.

Well that's me and hope my story and experience helps others if getting similar issues.

I will post about problems with the i30 in the relevant forum for it, as we have had what looks like very similar issues with ours as well, since after the 1,000km service was done, with some issues still not resolved at 30K usage. Diesel usage city wise is about the same as the iX35, haven't taken it on a country trip to compare otherwise.

Thanks for reading,

Peter
  • i30CDiAuto Y11 Blue (wife's car)[hr]iX35CDIAuto SE Y13 (my Car) Silver

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
Thanks, look forward to being a contributing member.
Peter

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wttc: peter_AUS
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Peter, Interesting and entertaining post. Have heard of a miss fuel costing thousands in damage. Sounds like you hopefully got away with less as you should in the circumstances.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hi Peter,

Motoring organisations in each state should sell caps that prevent misfueling in Diesels.

I purchased 2 from ebay recently for about $20, each for our Diesel's. Unfortunately the supplier is not offering the item any more, but the exact same device is on offer as stated above. The normal price is about $40 ea, from memory.

May I ask how much the Diesel repair cost.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
It cost $679 to de-fuel it, clean it out, replace filter, $20 of fuel, then start it up. I have heard of some repairs running into thousands. The towing was about $1,200 covered by Hyundai Road Assist limited to $3,000 yearly coverage I believe. Then cost me another $$78 to refill it completely. I think I have been very lucky (touch wood).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, read the costs in your other response you posted, thanks. I had heard that the dealer costs for this problem were quite high. Even at $40, do you think you will invest in a misfuelling cap  :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, read the costs in your other response you posted, thanks. I had heard that the dealer costs for this problem were quite high. Even at $40, do you think you will invest in a misfuelling cap  :question:

But Phil, that wouldn't have helped if they had the wrong fuel in the tank.

and.. I am wondering if there was a mixture in the BP tanks which helped minimise the damage in this case. Maybe there was still a bit of diesel in the ground when they refilled it with unleaded (in error) 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I read it as picking the wrong fuelling nozzle, (according to unsupplied CCTV). You can't prove wrong fuel in tank, unless it's determined at the moment of error, by an employee witness.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I read it as picking the wrong fuelling nozzle, (according to unsupplied CCTV). You can't prove wrong fuel in tank, unless it's determined at the moment of error, by an employee witness.

If the Diesel pumps were in a separate area the CCTV would prove it to a point .. If multiple cars were affected it might be worth a google of that particular garage and miss fuelling issues  :idea:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If the wrong juice was in the wrong tank, there would have to be multiple complaints by customers.

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
Unless they were travelling like I was and didn't know that they could make a complaint to BP about it. I did ring up the actual garage and asked specific questions regarding the pumps in case they had say one Diesel and one as Premium Unleaded and I picked the wrong one in that case, yes my fault. But they stated that both of them were Diesel, the north side one that I used, was low flow the south side one was high flow, I didn't know as I said that they had both. My dealer told me of a person driving up from Melbourne had a similar thing happen to him but doesn't know if BP paid for the repairs. The problem being, I haven't had a look at the CCTV as I can't just drive up there and ask to have a look. At this stage they might have even recorded over it. I would have expected the people contracted to investigate it would have supplied catagoric proof of he CCTV that I made a mistake. If I did then my fault and I can live with that. The fact that they haven't responded to my request makes me think they are trying to just say they have it but don't and I was in the right. I haven't done a google search on incorrect fuel in that area but now someone suggested it I am going to. I remember that the car using the high flow was a woman, slender build and ash blonde hair driving a DualCab of some make and it was white. Don't know if they are locals.

But I did get told by the NRMA guy and also the Tow Truck driver that this was a very common occurance in the area, happens a lot. Also the BP at Maclean also is often under water as it is just near the river that runs inland up that way, subject to flooding a lot, which is why I thought about water at first.

As I inherently don't refuel using Petrol at all, I primarily have used LPG for the past 20 years, and this is apart from my wifes car, my first Diesel car, I don't fill her diesel. So it isn't inherent for me to pull up to Petrol pumps at all. Also we had difficulties finding the Diesel at first not seeing them, as they were in the middle, it isn't a big garage, 4 sets of Petrol Pumps and then the double Diesel pumps on the outside part of the line of pumps. i did have just on 1/2 a tank of diesel as well, well that is what the guage said, but as I said the guage actually lies too, so it may have been 3/8th's full of diesel.

I don't beleieve I picked the wrong fuelling nozzle they have said I picked the wrong one.  As Premium Unleaded is Green I believe, the one I had in my hand was black, which is Diesel. I also had to wipe my hands after filling as the nozzle was greasy which is indicative with Diesel pump handles.

Phil I don't know about refulling caps, did you post a link to them above, I may have missed that.

Thank you everyone for some food for thought in maybe tracking down if others have had similar issues frome the same service station as well.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
I just had a look at the Solo Diesel Engine Protection Miss fuelling Prevention Fuel Cap off a search on the RACQ website shop, and that really wouldn't work as, as I said previously, Coles Express stations are now being renovated and all the pumps are now using the small nozzles on their pump handles. This seems designed to only allow a full sized diesel pump nozzle access if I understand the description correctly. And at $69.95 I don't think it would work at all service stations in that case, if they have moved to smaller nozzles?

http://onlineshop.racq.com.au/p-3201-solodiesel-diesel-engine-protection-misfuelling-prevention-fuel-cap.aspx

Am I right or wrong, having never heard of it before today nor ever seeing a picture of one before today, I am not sure?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Technically, you are most likely correct. I do not use Coles fuel, but I do add an additive with each tank of fuel, which requires me to remove the safety cap, after I've tested that the diesel pump nozzle is the right one. This procedure has worked satisfactorily so far.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:

I stick to the HiFlows on the far side of my favourite BP where all the semis line up.
Occasionally I get one yelling "Hey, you know this is Diesel, right?" I smile back. :D

I wouldn't be as comfortable taking it from a bowser mixed in with the others. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
Might give the NRNA a call and ask, Gold member so might get a further discount. My wife has been the one I worried about it happening to, thanks for the link brought up several and also gave me a way of checking which one was for our cars, both are the S2 so that was good. What does the black bit do, that seems to come in the kit?

What additive do you use, I got a Repco one when it happened, as it was the only one in the Coles Express on the Southern side of Grafton that I could stop at first off.

The tank being located underneath the back seating was interesting and a concern in one way, seeing that there have been so many explosions post crashing into the back of vehicles of late, not sure about Diesel being so flammable compared to petrol, as I said first diesel car, and they weren't really around when I first started working as an Apprentice Motor Mechanic left after 18 months, wasn't for me long term. Slightly regret it now. Though I have had some interesting work over the past 45 years, Air Force, Nursing, Tax Office, Immigration, and a few others, but they were the main ones.

I wonder why my signature isn't showing up in my posts anyone able to let me know I would appreciate it. Been a while since I used an SMF forum software.

I run a photography site and have been using vBulletin for 6-7 years and am going to move over to SMF very soon. I haven't mentioned it before or put a link as I didn't want it to be seen that I was promoting my site.

I truly only found this site, when searching about i30 brakes and found a link to here and read some posts that sounded awfully familiar to our experiences with our i30 and thought it would be a good place to join and meet new friends.

We also have had problems with the i30 since after its 1,000km service, going to start pushing the issues again, it is very noisy tappet noise, much noisier than I have experience driving other hyundai's testing and also the iX35, this is internally with all windows up. But will post that in another forum post that there is current for the stalling issues, we had that as well, and got the run around too. From Ryde Motors, I bought the iX35 from Brian Smith at Pennant Hills, very accommodating, especially with picking up the car for service and dropping it back home as well, included in their service to customers. Also have a van that drops people off and picks them up to drop off cars and collect them.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW

I stick to the HiFlows on the far side of my favourite BP where all the semis line up.
Occasionally I get one yelling "Hey, you know this is Diesel, right?" I smile back.

I wouldn't be as comfortable taking it from a bowser mixed in with the others.

Yes after actually using one on the way up, funny BP near Grafton but closer to town, it filled up in no time at all, longest wait was the idiot in front of me, filling his cans and car then going to the petrol out the front to fill a petrol can and leaving his car sitting in the bay near the diesel pump. No idea to just drive around the front and fill then pay up there, as he was apparently a local, well known for always doing exactly the same thing all the time, too lazy to move his car.

May just do that in future stop at the truck filling areas where they have high flow and where you really can't make a mistake filling up. As I said, I was not sure exactly how much was there, with all the by pass roads now in place, the fuel stops are not as commons as they were, so judging where to fill up, going up and down to Qld in a New Car haven't worked it out as yet. I knew exactly with my Tarago and LPG as after 20 years you know your car fully, especially when you have had it from new. Has Petrol as well, but only use that on the odd occasions as I have the fuel saver modification in place to oil the valves as is done when using petrol, it does it with the LPG too.

Again thanks everyone for your advice, really do appreciate it on a Hot Sunday Night here in Sydney. Though the southerly I think has just started to hit, with the wind picking up.

Peter

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You've already made friends here.

I didn't see all the video, but if it's a tube, it's for keeping the fuel pipe flap open permanently. i30's don't have or need the black bit.

The additive I use is to eliminate the possibility of Diesel bug, a contamiant present in normal air which can ruin your fuel system. Here's some information.

http://sdrv.ms/Z6UKx2

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome to the forum :D

Quote from: Peter_AUS
I wonder why my signature isn't showing up in my posts ...

It will only show once in a page (saves us a bit of bandwidth cost ;) )
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It will only show once in a page (saves us a bit of bandwidth cost ;) )
You'll be pleased with me, Steve. I switch off all the stuff I can to save MY bandwidth, thereby saving YOURS. :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm very pleased with you, El Gonzo :lol:

I should explain that in the early days of the forum we were on a fixed bandwidth tariff and had to pay a premium to increase it each time it approached the limit. Those were the days when 5GB/month was deemed adequate. Within, I'd say, 4 months of signing up to that package it soon became clear that it was totally inadequate, so we moved to a 15GB/month tariff. Then 30GB/month. We're now on a premium rate as our consumption is through the roof, so we could in fact remove the "one signature display per page" option :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
You've already made friends here.

I didn't see all the video, but if it's a tube, it's for keeping the fuel pipe flap open permanently. i30's don't have or need the black bit.

The additive I use is to eliminate the possibility of Diesel bug, a contamiant present in normal air which can ruin your fuel system. Here's some information.

http://sdrv.ms/Z6UKx2

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that, where can you buy it from, is it only directly from them?

Peter

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome

I'd be getting back asking for the vid.

Did you pay by card?
If so records may be available to show which pump and or fuel bought
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Peter_AUS

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford NSW
Welcome

I'd be getting back asking for the vid.

Did you pay by card?
If so records may be available to show which pump and or fuel bought

Unfortunately the receipt shows Premium Unleaded, but that its not to say that the person picked up the wrong pump number and charged me for someone else's fuel, as I purchased some drinks and snacks I didn't think much of the price I paid. the person behind the counter didn't seem all with it at the time either, as she didn't even notice one of the fridge doors was wide open. I had to close it and advised here that it had been left open.

Now I asks the attendant what fuel I am paying for, get strange looks from them until I explain what happened, then I get told stories that they know of about wrong fuels in cars as well. Heard of one inThailand  where they have driveway attendants who fill your car, put diesel in a brand new Ferrari, suffice it to say, that the owner was not overly impressed. Another was a person that purchased a brand new Mercedes, filled it with the wrong fuel, asked why it cost so much they had to explain he put the wrong fuel in the car. Luckily they told him not to start the car at all, they called up Mercedes for him they can and drained out the fuel, cleaned it and refuelled it for him, not sure it if cost him anything.

I am going back up to Qld on the 9th Nov, I may just stop and have a look at the pump area and also see if they have the CCTV available for me to have a look at. I am also going to ring the ACCC tomorrow and see what they might suggest, seeing that I haven't been supplied with clear evidence other than them saying they have the video showing me using the wrong pump into a silver car. Didn't even describe anymore than that in an email I got from them denying my claim.

Peter

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I am going back up to Qld on the 9th Nov, I may just stop and have a look at the pump area and also see if they have the CCTV available for me to have a look at. I am also going to ring the ACCC tomorrow and see what they might suggest, seeing that I haven't been supplied with clear evidence other than them saying they have the video showing me using the wrong pump into a silver car. Didn't even describe anymore than that in an email I got from them denying my claim.

Peter

Good luck with it all....  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal