i30 Owners Club

Just got recall notice for my 2010 i30

diablo · 35 · 10179

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Last service was only weeks ago but they hadn't got the parts in then, so I'm booked in for 1st April at 9am.  The lady I spoke to apologised and said I ought to have been told at the time.

I didn't know there was a recall on my model, the i30 recalls I've seen didn't seem to apply.

Apparently it is a 2 hour job but she didn't know what it was. :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm booked in for 1st April at 9am. 

Hope it is not an april fool!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
have you had your brake switch done yet,that is a turd of a job,by the time you pull the bottom panel out and get your articulated arm into the switch that take a bit over and hour.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
have you had your brake switch done yet,that is a turd of a job,by the time you pull the bottom panel out and get your articulated arm into the switch that take a bit over and hour.

Not according to Surferdude, reply 69

cruise control disabled after brake light switch replaced
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Not according to Surferdude, reply 69

cruise control disabled after brake light switch replaced
You beat me to it Phil.

Yep, I watched them do it parked just outside the workshop.
Without re-reading the link, took about 10 minutes from memory.
Guy didn't seem at all flustered when he came in to report the job done.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Took the car in today and got it back now. Seems they did do the brake light switch, plus the door cables. :)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Took the car in today and got it back now. Seems they did do the brake light switch, plus the door cables. :)
Were all the door cables subject to the recall, only my Dealer told me that they would only replace them if they broke :confused:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Were all the door cables subject to the recall, only my Dealer told me that they would only replace them if they broke :confused:

All my doors were working fine. Maybe it is a new policy ?

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Only last month my Dealer told me that there was no recall for this, I do not know how you discover recalls without dealer input so I will challenge them tomorrow.
The Dealer also told me that If they fail (out of warranty) each replaced door cable is charged at £300.00, ie. £1200.00.

Offline LS1999

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
We have a 2010 i30 it's door cables went twice on both driver and passenger door apparently it's a common problem . The only other problem we have had is that the radio control button has broke
  • 2010 I30 1.4 Comfort 5sp Manual, Black

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

We have a 2010 i30 it's door cables went twice on both driver and passenger door apparently it's a common problem . The only other problem we have had is that the radio control button has broke
Thanks, maybe we all need to check if there is a recall for this :confused:

Offline LS1999

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
I know me to certainly not heard anything from hyundai about it . It's an excellent car none the less

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

It's an excellent car none the less
Glad to hear that, I really like mine, although I've had a few problems, I'm just a tad concerned about Hyundai post warranty charges, and time lost due to repairs.
This is not a good reason to purchase a new i30 :neutral:

Offline LS1999

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
Well yes there have been a few problems with ours but for 2 and half year of us owning it It went on farm track roads which would only have been good for larger cars so we assume that some things have been cause by the awful tracks it had to go on . I really like the new i30 but I don't think it is as nice as the first gen one I just think there something missing from it

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I have now emailed my dealer, including a link to these relevant posts, and now await their response.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Mike.

I have never liked the stiffness of Trish's CW door latches. Even dry lube on the catches doesn't help much. Hope this is not a precursor to cable failure (although wouldn't be paying 300 pounds or $ per door to fix it!)

The feel of the handles doesn't seem to worry Trish? The amount she drives her car (maybe twice or 3 times a week/8000kms a year) I guess they get less wear and tear than some would.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can't feel any stiffness in our car. I wonder if the recall is only for Euro manufactured vehicles :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Can't feel any stiffness in our car. I wonder if the recall is only for Euro manufactured vehicles :question:

They feel like they are a bit too tightly adjusted. I mentioned it at the free first service/inspection.

They made it a bit better with lubrication but still feels odd to me.  :undecided:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I have now emailed my dealer, including a link to these relevant posts, and now await their response.
No response at all, that's not a good indication for a future purchase, however, I found this abridged version on the Net:-

I'm in Israel, my door would not open from inside. In the belief that this could possibly be a "do-able" home-repair job, I stripped off the inner door panel and discovered that the nipple at the end of the activating cable had snapped off the end of the cable where it sits comfortably in the claw of the door trip-lever that you pull to open the door. I compared the size of the nipple to the end of a simple bicycle brake cable and found them  to be an exact match so I bought a cable costing approximately £2 or so in my local currency` it was a perfect fit! Still thinking innocently that this could hardly be a major repair, I examined the inner metal door panel which was festooned with a forest of bolts and screws and thought it better to ask one or two friends "in the business" what I might expect to find as I proceeded. They told me not to bother trying because the farther, latch-end of the cable was enclosed in a manufactured inaccessible sealed/welded containment that could not be opened. Defeated, I began to make inquiries with Hyundai agents and authorized sources and discovered that an "official" repair cost would be in the region of £300!! So, because of a deliberate design policy, a repair, that basically could be undertaken by a layman using a replacement cable costing a few pounds at most, becomes a major outlay.
I think that this is an outrageously rip-off policy on the part of the manufacturer and a consumers' association should take some kind of stand with Hyundai about this design feature. While not dissatisfied with the vehicle as a whole, I am so incensed at this that I would never consider becoming a repeat future owner of Hyundai's cars.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good info thanks Mike (although that mightn't be the best word for it)  :Pout:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That would just inspire me to join the cable, it CAN be done with tubes that crimp onto the cable.

Poor design, though. :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
the cable was enclosed in a manufactured inaccessible sealed/welded containment

Phil, can you possibly confirm that with your workshop manual thingy you have?  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pretty crappy diagram, but the lock look pretty hideous. Front doord would be similar.

No info on relacement of cables unless you log in to GDS system, which I can't.

Rear Door.pdf - Google Drive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
No response at all, that's not a good indication for a future purchase, however, I found this abridged version on the Net:-

I'm in Israel, my door would not open from inside. In the belief that this could possibly be a "do-able" home-repair job, I stripped off the inner door panel and discovered that the nipple at the end of the activating cable had snapped off the end of the cable where it sits comfortably in the claw of the door trip-lever that you pull to open the door. I compared the size of the nipple to the end of a simple bicycle brake cable and found them  to be an exact match so I bought a cable costing approximately £2 or so in my local currency` it was a perfect fit! Still thinking innocently that this could hardly be a major repair, I examined the inner metal door panel which was festooned with a forest of bolts and screws and thought it better to ask one or two friends "in the business" what I might expect to find as I proceeded. They told me not to bother trying because the farther, latch-end of the cable was enclosed in a manufactured inaccessible sealed/welded containment that could not be opened. Defeated, I began to make inquiries with Hyundai agents and authorized sources and discovered that an "official" repair cost would be in the region of £300!! So, because of a deliberate design policy, a repair, that basically could be undertaken by a layman using a replacement cable costing a few pounds at most, becomes a major outlay.
I think that this is an outrageously rip-off policy on the part of the manufacturer and a consumers' association should take some kind of stand with Hyundai about this design feature. While not dissatisfied with the vehicle as a whole, I am so incensed at this that I would never consider becoming a repeat future owner of Hyundai's cars.

You will find that in all modern cars, no matter the brand.

It's a matter of lowest production cost, no considerations to easy-to-repair.  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

It's a matter of lowest production cost, no considerations to easy-to-repair.  :disapp:
I suppose it's an expensive repair compared to the purchase cost of my i30.
Only had Service Charges, 1 Bosch battery & an exhaust system on mine in 30 years.
I wonder what a new £80,000 Mercedes SL door repair would cost, but then it may not break so easily.
At my age, I don't think I'll chance it :rolleyes:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I suppose it's an expensive repair compared to the purchase cost of my i30.
Only had Service Charges, 1 Bosch battery & an exhaust system on mine in 30 years.
I wonder what a new £80,000 Mercedes SL door repair would cost, but then it may not break so easily.
At my age, I don't think I'll chance it :rolleyes:

You have had your i30 for 30 years.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

No, sorry - I've just had 2 pints of Greene King Abbot :goodjob2:
I mean my Mercedes 380SL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Speaking of Mercedes.....that reminds me of something I read some years back .....
Apparently to change a dash bulb in whatever model Mercedes it was, the whole dash had to come out.....  :undecided:

No idea whether it is actually true or not....

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
No, sorry - I've just had 2 pints of Greene King Abbot :goodjob2:
I mean my Mercedes 380SL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers..  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal