i30 Owners Club

replacing alternator belt

dibboi30 · 37 · 27828

Offline dibboi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Hi I have a 2010 diesel i30 and have done 120,000 km, I am about to replace the drive belt I have read other posts on the subject the detail using a hex key.
All the pulleys on my engine are torx bits and posts didn't exactly show which pulley is the tensioner, could anyone throw some light on this for me.
                  cheers dibboi30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, you'll have to use some commonsense because the workshop manual is not a very good diagram.

All the pulleys in the accompanying diagram have a function except the small pulley under the letter A.

I think this is the tensioner, it is spring loaded.

drivebelt.pdf - Google Drive
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:53:46 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil that is not a pulley under the letter A in the second photo,that is in fact the mounting hole for the alternator mounting bolt,dibboi30 ,the tensioner is the very front pulley when your facing the motor,I for the life of me don't know how you are able to de tension it, unlike the commodore,falcon and nissan ones I have changed these belts on before,they have a hex head bolt which you are able to get a spanner on to apply pressure to de tension them,both my I30's on this pulley only have a phillips head screw in them,if you find out how to de tension the tensioner,could you pass on how you did it.

But getting on to changing the serpentine belt,funnily enough I was having this conversation with my mechanic on the weekend,as I was asking when it should be changed,along with the guide pulleys,his answer was if at each service there was no sign of cracks or missing ribbing pieces,do not touch it,only time to change them is when they are showing signs of wear by cracks or missing ribbing and change all the guide pulleys at the same time

Oh and forgot to say Hyundai service centres WILL NOT tell you how they change the belts,or get the tension of of the belt via the tensioner,they just say You will have to bring it into us.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sounds like it will cost an arm and a leg to replace when it does need doing...  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Phil that is not a pulley under the letter A in the second photo,that is in fact the mounting hole for the alternator mounting bolt,dibboi30 ,the tensioner is the very front pulley when your facing the motor

I did realize that Rick-p, I figured anyone looking at the diagram would follow the path of the belt. There is no belt at the spot you refer to.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
sorry didn't see the letter A in the first diagram until I put my glasses on,that little pulley is a fixed one,as said the front one is the tensioner(well is on both of mine)the picture in the manual does show them having hex head fasteners but like I said mine have phillips head screw type bolts in them,never looked at anyone else's cars
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
On a previous car with a similar belt drive path the alternator was mounted on a top pivot and a tensioner bolt under the alternator. You pivoted the alternator outwards from the engine to  tighten the belt and then lock it in place with the bolt in a crescent shaped slot.

On my Vega the alternator is pivoted from the bottom and there is a tensioner bolt above it.

Is the i30 alternator mounted in a similar way?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'll have a look in the engine bay today.  :whistler:

Thanks, Rick / Alan.

Offline dibboi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Thanks all,
I have since heard it is spring loaded I will try the front pulley ,mine  has a torx bit not a Phillips head I will get a set and give it ago.
Have done a bit on different cars over the years have not seen this type of tensioner before. The reason I want to replace it a mates i30
with 150,000 k the belt was in a bad state. I will let you know how the belt replacement goes.
                                 regards dibboi30

Offline adyadad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bundoora, Vic
I recently did my daughter's car and it's not the torx.   If I remember correctly, its the pulley second from the front, (directly below the A on the diagram).   Just near that pulley is a bolt head which is what you twist to remove and replace the belt.   At least on the 1.6 diesel it is.   I ended up removing the wheel and engine splash guard to get at it easier.   I've only done it once and can't remember which way to turn it.   Once the new belt is on, it's self tensioning.
The one I replaced had 100.000 km and was cracked as well as small holes all the way through.

cheers...Andrew
  • I30 CRDi

Offline dibboi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
adyadad ,you are correct I went out this afternoon looked at it for a while removed the wheel cover etc changed it no problem, the tensioner pulley
is the one located between the air con unit and the crankshaft pulley a little higher up using a 14 mm ring spanner on the alloy hex this moves it against the spring loading.
If you need to remove the pulleys torx bits are needed .
         thanks dibboi30 p.s. while doing the belt change I noticed air con oil leaking for a hose near the radiator off to Hyundai for warranty!!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
adyadad ,you are correct I went out this afternoon looked at it for a while removed the wheel cover etc changed it no problem, the tensioner pulley
is the one located between the air con unit and the crankshaft pulley a little higher up using a 14 mm ring spanner on the alloy hex this moves it against the spring loading.
If you need to remove the pulleys torx bits are needed .
         thanks dibboi30 p.s. while doing the belt change I noticed air con oil leaking for a hose near the radiator off to Hyundai for warranty!!

Thanks for that.sounds quite simple,I'll take a gekko at mine next week,I prefer to take them off to get the best inspection,you wouldn't happen to have the belt part number.

Offline Mike Lawson

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Hello There.
I have just changed the serpentine belt on my 09 I30 crdi.No need to remove anything you do it all from the top. A 1/2 drive 14mm socket and a 2 foot breaker bar,that's all you need A picture/drawing of the belt path can save a bit of time if you have a memory like mine!The Gates number of the belt is 5PK 1810,that's what fits mine.Easy job,by the time you have read this post you could have fitted 2.

Regards Mike
  • Hyundai I30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, Mike.....and welcome to our little forum...  :goodjob:  :drinks:

Offline adyadad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bundoora, Vic
Hello There.
I have just changed the serpentine belt on my 09 I30 crdi.No need to remove anything you do it all from the top. A 1/2 drive 14mm socket and a 2 foot breaker bar,that's all you need A picture/drawing of the belt path can save a bit of time if you have a memory like mine!The Gates number of the belt is 5PK 1810,that's what fits mine.Easy job,by the time you have read this post you could have fitted 2.

Regards Mike
I didn't have a long breaker bar and it was a bit tight to get my hands in.   That's why I did it that way but your way sounds easier.   Good excuse to buy more tools.

There's 2 different belts.   Mine's the earlier one and is about 15 mm shorter than the later.   The changeover is about April 2008.

cheers....Andrew
  • I30 CRDi

Offline Mike Lawson

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Thanks for the Welcome lads
      adyadad.You are correct the early belts were shorter,they change the water pump and pulley not long after the I30 came out.When I mentioned the breaker bar thinking about it you could get away with a "T" bar or a ratchet. What  ever  you can lay your hands on.
                                                      Regards Mike
  • Hyundai I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Administrator Comment Awesome example of co-operation guys .. Thanks to everyone for their input (what a great bunch of members we have)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AW gee Dazz, you're only saying that, 'coz it's true.  :happydance:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Mike , You snuck in here quietly with a good post, if you thought you would get away without a warm welcome, not going to happen , welcome welcome &  :welcum:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Mike ,  if you thought you would get away without a warm welcome,

Good point, I better put the kettle on!   :goodjob:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Mike ,  if you thought you would get away without a warm welcome,

Good point, I better put the kettle on!   :goodjob:

White with two please. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll have black with milk please.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... and I'll have 5 sugars but don't stir it ('caus I don't like it too sweet!)  :winker:

Offline dibboi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Hi Rick belt serpentine #25212-A310   $17.35 Lada & Korean Parts Australia  they are at Deception Bay Qld 07 32934994 have all the filters at reasonable prices.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Hello There.

Regards Mike

Mike
I took to one of mine today and believe me you have made it sound overly simple(which it is to a degree)but with huge gorilla arms like mine,it is far easier to take the extra time and remove the drivers front wheel and the plastic side cover,as I found it very easy to get off the way you explained,but getting it back pn was not that simple,as over the guard I could not get my Gorilla hands nor my arms into the places they had to go to put the belt back on correctly.

Other thing that pissed me off while having it off and inspecting it,I did notice all the part numbers were still in tacked and guess hich dumbass forgot to write them down  :disapp:

Offline crazykev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
For future ppl who find this thread, I did mine today, in 15mins with a 2 year old playing in the car.

If you are a bit resourceful its pretty easy just to do it from the top. The tensioner bolt is 14mm and just under the pulley. just give it a little pull and when you see the pulley deflect, you've got the right one. Its good to use 1/2 drive breaker bar with and extension handle to make to easier on your other arm when you are snapping the belt over the tensioner pulley. Make sure the belt aligns well on each pulley as your pulling it over the tensioner pulley. Also once the belt is on, it pays to get the torch out and have a good check of the alignement, and give it a couple of cycles with the key (no start) and go back and check that everythings tracking right.

It would be good idea to keep the old belt and stow it away under the spare in case you get a snap on a big trip. High chance of not needing it, but if you snap a belt it the middle of nowhere it would be a lifesaver.

I got my belt for $17 from that guy at Lada and korean parts at deception bay, what a legend. Air filters were, $8 oil filters $12, fuel filters were $18.70. The fitlers were all made in Korea and look to be pretty good. The belt was made china but they all probably are nowdays.
  • i30 FD diesel slx

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
For future ppl who find this thread, I did mine today, in 15mins with a 2 year old playing in the car.

If you are a bit resourceful its pretty easy just to do it from the top. The tensioner bolt is 14mm and just under the pulley. just give it a little pull and when you see the pulley deflect, you've got the right one. Its good to use 1/2 drive breaker bar with and extension handle to make to easier on your other arm when you are snapping the belt over the tensioner pulley. Make sure the belt aligns well on each pulley as your pulling it over the tensioner pulley. Also once the belt is on, it pays to get the torch out and have a good check of the alignement, and give it a couple of cycles with the key (no start) and go back and check that everythings tracking right.

It would be good idea to keep the old belt and stow it away under the spare in case you get a snap on a big trip. High chance of not needing it, but if you snap a belt it the middle of nowhere it would be a lifesaver.

I got my belt for $17 from that guy at Lada and korean parts at deception bay, what a legend. Air filters were, $8 oil filters $12, fuel filters were $18.70. The fitlers were all made in Korea and look to be pretty good. The belt was made china but they all probably are nowdays.
You let your kids play in the car  :Shocked:

Good work, those are good prices on the filters . Welcome by the way, another Brisbane diesel member. If you had a wagon you would be perfect  :lol:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welcum: crazykev and thanks for the helpful 1st post.. :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

What was the reason for changing if you have put the old one in the boot as a spare?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal