i30 Owners Club

So what quailfied your decision to use the engine oil you use

Guest · 78 · 21960

loz
I'm interested in what qualified your decision to use the engine oil you use ?

Brand     Viscosity     etc     

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I just use the oil that meet the specs recommended by the owners manual.  Honestly, I don't ask my mechanic to use a specific oil, as long as it meets the specs is all I care.  I think my mechanic used Penrite.

I was thinking of using Royal Purple in my Commodore, I've heard nothing but good things about that oil.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Been using Valvoline for past 10 years on a bunch of different vehicles.
Use it because its what each workshop I've been in use.
I practice what I preach.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I just leave it to the garage to select the oil as i have confidence that they will use the correct oil/grade etc for my driving style
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe all reputable brands that meet the manufacturer's requirements are acceptable in my car. I have no technical knowledge to make any further determination, other than personal experience over 45 years. I don't like Castrol GTX & Shell, I do like Mobil, Penrite & Nulon.

Each brand has it's own miracle formula, which is generally, just marketing hype.

For me, viscosity at low temps (0) and high temps (45) are important, so 5-40 oil is used in this car.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Royal Purple or Nulon for me, used RP for years in racing and normal cars and the evidence has proven itself, still the only company I know of who guarantee oil specifications are still met at 19000km drain intervals.

Nulon also places highest above all common big brand name oils in independent tests in Germany and it's also been used in many of my vehicles over the years with faultless reliability, good for fuel saving as well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:50:23 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I hear more and more about Royal Purple oil, but I've not come across it in shops. Is it hard to get. If it has such a good warranty, it must be expensive, which is why I have missed it in the past. We're coming up for a service in a couple of months, I might splurge and try it.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Royal Purple used to be only available through select distributor's but Autobarn are now stocking it at the same price as others which is $100 per 5ltr's, the RP version of Royal is the only type that is API listed though I did get the white paper statement ( that I now cant find :rolleyes: ) from Royal purple stating that the HPS version is fine for new cars and also contains higher levels of zinc and phosphorus + Synerlec ( their proprietary additive ) the API listed RP version is not available anywhere that I can find.

For anyone wanting Royal Purple for a racing environment then the XPR type is what you'll be wanting with higher levels of the mentioned additives but it not suitable for catalytic converters.

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
I hear more and more about Royal Purple oil, but I've not come across it in shops. Is it hard to get. If it has such a good warranty, it must be expensive, which is why I have missed it in the past. We're coming up for a service in a couple of months, I might splurge and try it.
Please let me know what kinda price you're getting and where 'cause I'd like to try it too.

And besides, if craigB the troll endorses it, it must be good!
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Please let me know what kinda price you're getting and where 'cause I'd like to try it too.

And besides, if craigB the troll endorses it, it must be good!
:TutTut: :lol:

RP never goes on sale, well not in the 20+ years I've used it and it's $100 or $99 to be exact :wink:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We have an Autobarn close by, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. Thanks CraigB  :goodjob2:

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Can you link me please?

Autobarn have a few different RP and I'm not sure which is the go.

:link: HPS Synthetic Oil - 10w-40 5 Liters - Engine Oils - Oils & Additives - Workshop & Maintenance

Is this pure overkill in your opinion?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Like Phil,  I'm happy with whatever brand meets the vehicle manufacturer s requirements.
I spent 20+ years building and driving rally cars using either Castrol or Valvoline with nil engine problems.  No excessive wear or comprehensive failures.
So I agree most modern brands will do the job.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, everyone! Back from a Port Lincoln holiday and checking in. :D

I regard the viscosity range as important, so as broad a range as is affordable is a good thing. I've heard arguments for and against synthetics but I'm none the wiser for it. My local mechanic uses Ryco everything and it meets the Hy spec so that will do. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
A mate of mine used Royal Purple for a while used to tell me how much he liked it, he builds motors.
then he used it in a really high output race motor & had lubrication problems.
then latter change to different oil no more problem.
in old days i always used oil with Pennsylvanian crude base never let me down had to change more frequent.
then later still went to Synthetic lot of difference between the different synthetic the best use high quality polyesters base.
i been told don't matter if oil mineral or synthetic what is important is the base oil.
i don't care for Mobile i used it but never impressed me.
i've used Redline they make good oil just very pricy.
a friend uses Gibson Motorsport Oil's he just started he has an engine dyno so will ask how it's going, Lake Speed the racer told him about it i think he works for Gibson MotorSport they have both Synthetic & Mineral .
i use Redline in my motorbike its been trouble free in the ten years i've used it,
but new Australian distributor so not sure where to buy now used to get it from guy in WA

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Looks like most people think it overkill.
Possibly like drinking johnnie blue with coke - what a waste...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can you link me please?

Autobarn have a few different RP and I'm not sure which is the go.

:link: HPS Synthetic Oil - 10w-40 5 Liters - Engine Oils - Oils & Additives - Workshop & Maintenance

Is this pure overkill in your opinion?
Either the 5-30 or 10-40 are suitable, it is an expensive oil so "over kill" possibly! but it's really personal preference :) try the Nulon :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Our car currently uses 5-40 and I would like to stay with that, in fact I'd prefer 0-40 in winter.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Like Phil,  I'm happy with whatever brand meets the vehicle manufacturer s requirements.
I spent 20+ years building and driving rally cars using either Castrol or Valvoline with nil engine problems.  No excessive wear or comprehensive failures.

Have used both those oi;'s myself Trev
Always liked Valvoline Pennsylvanian crude base. ( not sure about in Australia now.
but using Valvoline Diesel in my Hilux now

in the end if the oil your using is working for you stick with it, i've never had a gain in economy & i've never had a gain in power personally changing to different oil's. but i like to change oil regular to keep motor clean.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
.  No excessive wear or comprehensive failures.

They would want too....otherwise there will be a lot of lawsuits out there.........

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Rumour has it LAND121, Defence's vehicle fleet project, may lock in Royal Purple as its exclusive engine lubricant supplier. :)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That would be a significant endorsement of the product. When will the decision be made :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That would be a significant endorsement of the product. When will the decision be made :question:

Either that or it was the cheapest tender.  :lol:
This is the govt we're talking about here.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Ahh, the old, "Government goes with cheapest" argument.  Not true anymore, particularly with Defence.  They have been burnt before with the cheapest option.  Now it must meet the specifications of the requirement, and be "best value for money".  So for example, if a product was twice as good, but only cost 50% more, it could get the contract.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ahh, the old, "Government goes with cheapest" argument.  Not true anymore, particularly with Defence.  They have been burnt before with the cheapest option.  Now it must meet the specifications of the requirement, and be "best value for money".  So for example, if a product was twice as good, but only cost 50% more, it could get the contract.

:ta:
I'm pleased to hear that and hope it's true.  :goodjob:
So tell me again why our totally viable Australian ship building industry doesn't build our warships and submarines and China does?   :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

:ta:
I'm pleased to hear that and hope it's true.  :goodjob:
So tell me again why our totally viable Australian ship building industry doesn't build our warships and submarines and China does?   :confused:

None of our warships are being built in China.  However, submarines may be built by the Japanese for Australia.  Better value for money.  Their projects run on time, on budget, and work.  Whereas our ship builders, don't.

Even so, if China offers the same product as Australia at half the price, then it is a no brainer.

From my experience, Australian ship builders are overpaid for the work that they (can't) do.

Why did you buy a Korean car and not Australian?  Same reasons, me thinks. 

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've heard a lot of talk on the radio about China building our submarines, unless I got that wrong.   :undecided:
If so, I stand corrected.
I take your point about the Korean car, but I just think that on the issue of defence and national security, we should build our own whenever we can.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Rumour has it LAND121, Defence's vehicle fleet project, may lock in Royal Purple as its exclusive engine lubricant supplier. :)

Sooooo when do the bottles of "cheap off the back of the truck" Royal Purple go on sale???

Welcome back.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You'll have to go to Vic to get it though.  :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal