i30 Owners Club

Timing belt replacement on 2010 I30 wagon that has only done 37000kms

Offline Taxi Steve

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Hi guys this is my first post and have read all the good advice before we bought it.
I have a Hyundai 2010 I30 wagon that has done 37000kms it has always been serviced regularly by the previous owner and will travel about 7000kms a year. The dealer wants to replace the timing belt at the next service but I'm getting conflicting advice from other mechanics.
Some say don't bother as it hasn't done enough Kms leave it for a couple of years, some say do it as the belt would have perished with age.
Dont know who to believe??
  • 2010 I30 wagon

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Welcome to the club!!

:welcum:

What does the owner's manual say about replacing it?  That is, does the servicing schedule say to replace it at 5 years or an amount of kms?  If it does, replace it at the specified interval (be that km or age).  I'd much rather believe the company that invests lots of money into research into developing their cars and servicing requirements, than somebody who is a non-affiliated mechanic that hasn't kept up with the current technology or servicing requirements of modern vehicles.

In other words, believe the servicing schedule in your manual, then the dealer.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Personally, I'd replace it. It'll "probably" be OK for another couple of years.
But, if it fails, massive bill.
You should be able to get it replaced with a belt from Repco and through one of their authorised service centres a lot cheaper than at a Hyundai dealer.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Taxi Steve

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
One of the mechanics I spoke to works for Hyundai He said it would be ok to not do it because of the limited amount of kms it has travelled (off the record of course) the other works for an AHG dealer says it must be done . The 3rd works for RAC he's not 100% sure but its going to cost either way. :crazy2: :crazy2:
  • 2010 I30 wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your book should state to first check at 90,000kms or 48months ( which ever occurs first ) then re-inspect every 30,000kms, as your vehicle is now 60 months (5 years ) belt replacement will be justified by condition upon inspection.

If the dealer has suggested to have it changed then I'd probably change it due to age and like Surferdude said " if it fails, massive bill "

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Unless there is something big I'm missing, I think your being had! You should easily get 100,000km out of a rubber belt and I doubt 5 years of time is enough for the rubber to break down. There are millions of cars driving around with more than 5 years and less than 100,000km on the clock. What does the manual recommend?
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Do what the manual says. If it says to replace it, then do it. If it says to inspect it, and the mechanic says it needs replacing, then replace it. If you think you know better than the Hyundai engineers (not mechanic), best of luck when something goes wrong. That will be expensive as surferdude said.

If your car has been regularly serviced then it should have had annual servicing, not just by distance driven.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Comply with the service schedule.

Also, as not the owner from new you do not know how the car was treated prior to you buying.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unless there is something big I'm missing, I think your being had! You should easily get 100,000km out of a rubber belt and I doubt 5 years of time is enough for the rubber to break down. There are millions of cars driving around with more than 5 years and less than 100,000km on the clock. What does the manual recommend?
I've seen other drive belts perish in less than half this time, even in low mileage cars garaged when not in use. The little ribs crack.
Whilst I agree it shouldn't happen, it can, which is why I recommended above to consider erring on the safe side.
If Taxi Steve is going to keep the car for a while, it'll have to be done anyway, so why not now and then forget about it.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
I've seen other drive belts perish in less than half this time, even in low mileage cars garaged when not in use. The little ribs crack.
Whilst I agree it shouldn't happen, it can, which is why I recommended above to consider erring on the safe side.
If Taxi Steve is going to keep the car for a while, it'll have to be done anyway, so why not now and then forget about it.

True, the safest course of action is just do it and you'll have a reference to its condition.

Offline Taxi Steve

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for all the advice guys.
After reading the manual and also downloading a maintenance schedule from Hyundai I have decided I will approach the dealer and ask them to first inspect the belt and then only change it if required as per their own information.
Thanks again
  • 2010 I30 wagon

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
What engine is it - most i30's have a chain rather than a belt
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
my petrol has a belt.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'd replace it regardless. Age is just as much a factor as Km.

My mum's Hyundai Scope is 20 years old and have always opted to change the belt based on age. For piece of mind find a decent mechanic that won't rip you off and get the belt replaced. It shouldn't cost much as the Beta engine is great to work on.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
my petrol has a belt.

I think it was only the 2 litre petrol which had a belt, the others all have chains.

My previous Renault had a belt and I realised one year that the belt was seven years old - two more than recommended.  :scared:  I examined the belt and it still looked perfect - but had it changed anyway.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
my petrol has a belt.

I think it was only the 2 litre petrol which had a belt, the others all have chains.

My previous Renault had a belt and I realised one year that the belt was seven years old - two more than recommended.  :scared:  I examined the belt and it still looked perfect - but had it changed anyway.

The 2.0 litre Diesel had a belt as well.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Who was the supposed Hyundai representative?
I must contact him and find out how he got to be better than all of Hyundai.

Seriously though your not due for a belt yet. It should be 90000km or 6 years. Im having morning tea right now looking at my current job, 90000km service on a 2lt FD I30.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just to muddy the waters, I see from MY2012 the service schedule for the timing belt is 135,000k or 9 years....  :lol:
I wonder what changed?  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There is absolutely no way that I would use a plastic timing belt or even a rubber V belt for 9 years - especially with the high maximum and average temperatures you guys in Australia experience.

What would Hyundai's "warranty" attitude be if a belt snapped at say 6 years and wrecked the engine. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Good find rusty - we should appoint you as our resident archivist with all this stuff you keep finding.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks Alan...  :D

I actually suspect Hyundai Australia just draw the servicing schedules out of a hat....  :crazy1:

Offline Taxi Steve

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
The dealer was Wild West Hyundai in Wangara.
Its a 2010 I30 cw wagon.
I will be speaking to the service manager this afternoon

Just spoke to the service manager he made a mistake the timing belt won't need to be done until next year .
Thanks again for all the input just saved me heaps. :yahoo:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:52:38 by Taxi Steve »
  • 2010 I30 wagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There is absolutely no way that I would use a plastic timing belt or even a rubber V belt for 9 years - especially with the high maximum and average temperatures you guys in Australia experience.

What would Hyundai's "warranty" attitude be if a belt snapped at say 6 years and wrecked the engine. It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Good find rusty - we should appoint you as our resident archivist with all this stuff you keep finding.

I dare say given the warranty is 5 years they wouldn't give a toss......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Just spoke to the service manager he made a mistake the timing belt won't need to be done until next year .
Thanks again for all the input just saved me heaps. :yahoo:

6 years, like I said.
Pretty funny I was halfway through a 90k on a 2010 CW when I read this thread. :snigger: :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So cruiserfied, do you know what changed on the MY2012 model that pushed it out to 135,000k/9 years?  :undecided:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
So cruiserfied, do you know what changed on the MY2012 model that pushed it out to 135,000k/9 years?  :undecided:

A chain :)....thank goodness. Why did the car makers go to a belt in the first place!

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

A chain :)....thank goodness. Why did the car makers go to a belt in the first place!

The 2 litre was the oldish Beta II engine from about 2001 when chain cams weren't as common.  The other models used the later Gamma engine with the chain. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:55:23 by diablo »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The 2012 FD having the 135000km/9 year schedule is a mystery to me.
I didn't know until you pointed it out Rusty.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe

I thought 2012 was the first year of the GD with the NU chain driven cam motor?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I thought 2012 was the first year of the GD with the NU chain driven cam motor?

It was but the FD ran into 2012. And all the 2nd half of 2011 are MY12

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal