i30 Owners Club

ECU Reset

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I came across a post on another forum and would be interested on any feedback of what members think of the idea.  I have searched on here and have not yet seen this idea posted, I know this post below would not be referring to an i30 as it is some years old, but wondered if it could still apply  :question:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t1155-how-to-reset-your-e-c-u.htm

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I often disconnect my battery and leave it for 30 mins, to reset the ECU. Not sure about the "ECU discharging through the brake lights" bit. I don't bother doing it when warm either
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I often disconnect my battery and leave it for 30 mins, to reset the ECU. Not sure about the "ECU discharging through the brake lights" bit. I don't bother doing it when warm either

Do you find it makes any difference to the engine performance  :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yes I do. I used to have a tuningbox fitted (removed it a month ago) but every month or so I found the extra "zip" the box gave me in gears 1, 2 and 3 seemed to get lost, so I did the ECU reset thing and all returned to zip-world again.

Now I don't use the box I still plan on doing a monthly reset, as it costs nothing (other than having to reset the radio) and gives me peace of mind

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes I do. I used to have a tuningbox fitted (removed it a month ago)

Now I don't use the box

What made you decide to ditch the box?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes I do. I used to have a tuningbox fitted (removed it a month ago)

Now I don't use the box

What made you decide to ditch the box?

Yeah, ditto  :eek: (are you not eating sliced bread anymore either?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
She was in for an assessment of the steering so I took the box off and decided to see how she behaved without it. MPG is poorer (running at around 57mpg now instead of the usual 63.5+mpg) but I may refit after the warranty work's been done on Tuesday.

ouri30
While I haven't experimented with whether or not removing the battery to reset the ECU has any noticable effect on engine performance or economy, I have removed the battery terminals a few times.

You will also reset the fuel economy computer back to how it was when you took delivery.  Expect the distance to empty to be around 640km max after refilling (compared to the approximately 900km figure I currently see after a refill).  This has nothing to do with the ECU reset but is rather a reset of the fuel economy computer back to factory settings.

Bob

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
She was in for an assessment of the steering so I took the box off and decided to see how she behaved without it. MPG is poorer (running at around 57mpg now instead of the usual 63.5+mpg) but I may refit after the warranty work's been done on Tuesday.

For your daily commute then refitting will save a few bob given that diesel has just gone up again to 105.9 ppl (2 ppl rise)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i gave this reset a try on Tuesday and now I've got a different car.  :mrgreen: the response and power gain is amazing,give it a try.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
meh most cars run like a dog untill the ecu has learnt how you drive... my old car and the maxima dont like it that much...

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
meh most cars run like a dog untill the ecu has learnt how you drive... my old car and the maxima dont like it that much...

You know what I've just noticed, you say 'meh' a lot lol :lol:

Anyways...I've been thinking about doing this to see if I can get better economy. I've done over 6000kms now but I've been thinking of waiting til 10000 just to see if I can get her using less fuel.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

You know what I've just noticed, you say 'meh' a lot lol :lol:

ohh well such is life aye!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've always worked with new zealanders and they've got me saying hey bro.  :lol: i don't even realise i do it.  :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
and cuzy bro! the kiwi at work always says that, as well as "its the best"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
choice jandles you got bro.  :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I disconnected my battery (and left it disconnected for half an hour) last week and since then I reckon I've been getting better fuel economy...or so it shows on my trip computer..... :)

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
So tell me if I have this right..

If I just go out to my car (with the engine off) open the bonnet find the - lead on the battery, follow it down to wherever it goes, disconnect it from there, wait 5 mins, reconnect it.

It should be better?

Please explain this so the person who knows zero about cars can do this :)

mick55
I reckon the whole thing is placebo effect, would Hyundai or any maker for that matter spend $billions developing a car without some how building a timing mechanism for the ECU to reboot at times when the car isn't being driven? They don't want you to stop liking you car, having to diconnect the battery periodically would not help? Where are the before and after figures for acceleration, dyno figures, fuel economy etc.? I'm sure people believe this really makes a difference, so far the only evidence I have seen is purely annecdotal. An urban myth perhaps?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

look in my thread on how to fit steering wheel controls... how to disconnect the battery is in there...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6832.0

i would probably avoid it tho... the computer "learns" over time, if you drive it hard, it will learn that and be a bit more powerful than a car that has been "nanna'ed"

also some cars do funny things when you disconnect the battery... might not run right for a day or two...

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
also some cars do funny things when you disconnect the battery

On the i30 the power steering system (EPS) torque/angle sensor becomes uncalibrated. After reconnecting the battery and turning on, you should turn the wheel over half way both left and right and then turn the power off again. The EPS light will be on until you do this.

I remember many years ago I had a car that would run on leaded and unleaded petrol, and if you switched from one to the other you could tell the difference if you reset the ECU. I'm not so sure it makes much difference nowadays.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I reckon the whole thing is placebo effect, would Hyundai or any maker for that matter spend $billions developing a car without some how building a timing mechanism for the ECU to reboot at times when the car isn't being driven? They don't want you to stop liking you car, having to diconnect the battery periodically would not help? Where are the before and after figures for acceleration, dyno figures, fuel economy etc.? I'm sure people believe this really makes a difference, so far the only evidence I have seen is purely annecdotal. An urban myth perhaps?

Hey Mick, perhaps you could try it and see for yourself?
As I posted above, my trip computer showed that I was getting better fuel economy after resetting, so make of that what you may....

mick55

As I posted above, my trip computer showed that I was getting better fuel economy after resetting, so make of that what you may....

Sorry mate that doesn't constitute scientific evidence, not trying to be a smartarse but all sorts of factors come into this type of thing. You may have subconsciously altered your driving style because you want to believe.  This idea is rife on the car forums I havn't seen any hard evidence to suggest disconnecting your battery magically results in improved economy or performance, me doing it doesn't constitute evidence as I am a sceptic I'll probably find no effect.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm a convert,shambles mentioned it ages ago and i first thought he was taking the pi$$ but i gave it a try. it does work.  :wink:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So tell me if I have this right..

If I just go out to my car (with the engine off) open the bonnet find the - lead on the battery, follow it down to wherever it goes, disconnect it from there, wait 5 mins, reconnect it.

It should be better?

Hi Kim....
You don't need to follow the battery lead anywhere, you just need to find the battery, and then remove the negative (-) lead off the terminal. I left it off for around 30 minutes but whether it needs that length of time or not I have no idea....I had plenty of time so it was no big deal to leave it.

Sorry mate that doesn't constitute scientific evidence, not trying to be a smartarse but all sorts of factors come into this type of thing. You may have subconsciously altered your driving style because you want to believe.  This idea is rife on the car forums I havn't seen any hard evidence to suggest disconnecting your battery magically results in improved economy or performance, me doing it doesn't constitute evidence as I am a sceptic I'll probably find no effect.

Like I said, make of it what you may....I wasn't saying it was scientific evidence.
All I know is it showed on the trip computer that my car was using less fuel. Whether it was in fact true, I have no idea. 
As for changing my driving style?, I didn't...I even travelled the same roads and at the same speeds as I usually do.
Anyhow, for the few minutes it takes, I'll do it again in a few thousand k's....because really, what have I got to lose?

Oh, and Mick, surely being a skeptic is more of a reason to give it a try.....yes? I'm sure others would be interested in your findings.... :wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
also some cars do funny things when you disconnect the battery

On the i30 the power steering system (EPS) torque/angle sensor becomes uncalibrated. After reconnecting the battery and turning on, you should turn the wheel over half way both left and right and then turn the power off again. The EPS light will be on until you do this.

I remember many years ago I had a car that would run on leaded and unleaded petrol, and if you switched from one to the other you could tell the difference if you reset the ECU. I'm not so sure it makes much difference nowadays.

this man needs a beer... thats why a light was on when i did the radio switch conversion!!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
would Hyundai or any maker for that matter spend $billions developing a car without some how building a timing mechanism for the ECU to reboot at times when the car isn't being driven?

Why not? Microsoft did it with their operating systems..... :lol:

mick55
Except you only had 2 or 3 choices for operating systems Windows, Mac and Linux. Mac priced itself out of the market with no backward compatibility, Linux is essentially for boffins. The choice with cars is much greater, a bad experience you may not buy that brand again. With microsoft and Windows just about everyone has had a bad experience......but 90% are still using the product because there is no where else to go. Say you are correct.......why isn't disconnecting the ECU a requirement for the 15,000 service intervals? surely Hyundai would want their cars to run as best they can, so you'll buy another one?

I've been a scientist for 30 years, I'm not really convinced by what people feel, including myself, however show me some figures under controlled conditions and I'm prepared to admit that this is more than an urban myth.  The fact no figures are forthcoming (despite this myth being around for years) does not argue in favour of this being a real effect

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
.... I'll just give it a go, see how I fair

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal