i30 Owners Club

ECU Reset

Pip
I'm with Mick on this one. If his status as a scientist (often considered sensible) is not particularly convincing then surely his appreciation of the "red" confirms his qualification to speak on this matter.  :wink: :cool:

As a fellow red drinker, naturally our opinions align... gotta be bunk. :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The point I was trying to make re my Microsoft comment is that even after all the money they pour into Windows, if you don't reboot your computer occasionally, it tends to not run so good.... :P

I'm with Mick on this one. If his status as a scientist (often considered sensible)>snip
They're often considered mad too..... :wink: :lol:

mick55
Fair enough comment, but if this were the case with ECUs wouldn't manufacturer's suggest that they be reset in this fashion as part of the servicing regime? Makers want you to be happy with their product

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I have no idea, Mick. All I know is I was willing to give it (resetting the ECU) a try.
I live in the country so find it pretty easy to replicate the same driving conditions (without the variability of changing traffic) that I experienced before the ECU reset and I've then reported what I found. I've made no claims as to more power or such, only that my car now appears to be getting better fuel economy as indicated by the trip computer.....

As I said previously, why not give it a try and see for yourself? I'm sure others on this forum would be interested in a skeptic scientist's view....... :)

.... I'll just give it a go, see how I fair

I wouldn't be in a rush, Kim.....you've only just got your car so probably haven't done enough kilometres to notice a difference.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I'll be resetting mine too simply because of the two different tuning boxes I've been running. Just wanna make sure the ECU isn't retaining any residual memory now that I have changed boxes.

Offline cyberdolt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Harden
Been reading about the ECU reset. I asked the tech at my dealer about it. He said only auto trans cars have adaptive learning. From tests I've made I believe he's correct.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Just disconnected my battery to try a reset. I got some Tesco Momentum 99 petrol a week or two ago and it claims to improve MPG by 20% on average !  Now I never imagined it would do that, maybe 3% perhaps ??

However it has remained exactly the same as before, 27.2 mpg which is normal for winter on the short hops I do.

It could just be possible that the reset may change the valve timing and ignition to suit the new fuel better. Though I won't be even a little surprised if it doesn't. :)

Offline thaer.sh

• 2nd Gear

• ps Palestinian Territory, Occupied
      Ramallah
One of the members said that you may remove the ECU fuse to disconnect the ECU...
I guess its a better way!! so the radio and clock setting wont reset!

I had a Daewoo Lanos hatchback 1999 1.5 petrol before the i30, it was sold two days ago!
I used to race friends!! I raced a Hyundai accent 2006 1.6 petrol automatic transmission, and i won!! I'm pretty sure I won because I have a manual transmission.. and of course because I'm a better driver lol..

and once we went for a road trip... i was driving my i30, and my friend was driving my Daewoo Lanos...
I noticed that both cars had almost same performance!
I'm not saying that i30 is slow!! no, my Daewoo Lanos was amazing!

P.S : Daewoo Lanos was my dads!! nobody else used it but me before he bought his new Sonata, so it was almost new when i started driving it!

My question is... what does the ECU affect?? they say it makes the transmission go faster!
so does it affect the manual gear??

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

One of the members said that you may remove the ECU fuse to disconnect the ECU...

Yep, just noticed that my radio settings have all disappeared, dammit. :)

I'll have to look in the handbook for the fuse location - it does seem a better way to do it.

mick55
It's a myth mate don't bother unless you have plenty of time on your hands :lol:

Offline thaer.sh

• 2nd Gear

• ps Palestinian Territory, Occupied
      Ramallah

Yep, just noticed that my radio settings have all disappeared, dammit. :)

I'll have to look in the handbook for the fuse location - it does seem a better way to do it.

the cover of the fuse box has a map,,, at least mine does!! hope it could help :D

It's a myth mate don't bother unless you have plenty of time on your hands :lol:

in fact it happened to my car without me notice, I bought a new battery for my i30, the new one has larger ampere, so it can last longer...
so I removed the old one, and had to wait for like 35 mins till the guy got me the new one..
after I installed the new battery, i drove real fast because I was late...
and today i noticed the difference, transmission was real fast, and kick down was great, and the car drifted, at 3 gear, speed was like 30 kmph!!
before, it wasn't able to drift!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think its fairly universally accepted that the auto gearbox does some learning.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

So Mick, you've tried it then?  :winker:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Well, having run round in the car on my normal rounds for a few days since doing the reset I can confirm that - the fuel consumption is the same as before and the performance seems no different. So I won't be doing it again.

I think it was worth trying though as I would have always wondered if it would make a difference. :)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
.... I'll just give it a go, see how I fair

Kim if you don't know anything about cars i would'nt try , the little bit of difference is not worth the risk, most of these guys know there cars inside out.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
most of these guys know there cars inside out.

You have your own Mr Oracle :idea:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Anyone noted that there are three horns in the engine bay ? disconnecting the battery then reconnecting causes one of these to 'Peep!' loudly... anyone know which one does this (I think the one near the coolant is the alarm horn which could be disconnected by its clip-plug but the main horns in front of the radiator are a bit of a stretch to get to  :Shocked:

On this note - anyone know if disconnecting the battery will clear a engine check light ? (CEL) - in another thread im trying to get a stable setting on a tuning box to get power but also stop the CEL from coming on (possibly this requires a number of engine starts rather than a battery disconnect (as well as being plugged back to the factory Cr sensor cable to clear it ??)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal