i30 Owners Club

What engine to get?

Guest · 21 · 4918

Xamaxy
Hi all, new here, soon to be owner of new i30  8)..., i'm in a dilema what engine to get:

1- 2.0 crdi 140hp iThink
2- 1.6 crdi 128hp iThink

Money difference 500 euro so not an issue...first i was like 2.0 is fastest and thats it but now i saw that 1.6 is newer engine.
Which one is better? To me is like power(2.0) vS economy (1.6) and i'm not sure what to do...
Any advice will be helpfull!

Thx a lot!!

Martin

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Martin welcome to the club.. We don't get the 2.0 Crdi in Australia but I believe it comes with a 6 speed manual and the 1.6 is only a 5 speed....

The members with the 2.0 ltr diesel reckon it's a nice motor and some of us Aussies including me would have seriously considered the 2.0 if we had the choice.

On the other side the 1.6 has more than adequate performance to say the least and the economy is incredible.... So I'd probably say if you can't drive both of them back to back before deciding I'd go the 1.6 and either pocket the 500 euros or use it to dress her up a bit...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
Salesman in Hyunai Center said that from now on every CRDi model has 6-speed manual, if only were still 5 speed 1.6 version, that would make my dilema an easy pick  :D

Well i'll have to hope that 128HP will be enough  :rolleyes:

PS fantastic forum!! Found many excellent threads!!

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Hi Jason and Martin!
Both engines (2.0 CRDI and 1.6 CRDI) are good choice. But 2.0 crdi controls the timing of the engine's valves by means of timing belt, however in 1,6 crdi is non-replacement timing chain.
Daniel.

Xamaxy
Hi Jason and Martin!
Both engines (2.0 CRDI and 1.6 CRDI) are good choice. But 2.0 crdi controls the timing of the engine's valves by means of timing belt, however in 1,6 crdi is non-replacement timing chain.
Daniel.

Sorry for being noob, but how does that reflects on driving or performance taht difference in belt and chain?
Google says its the same thing but i guess you know something more when mentioning it.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Hi Jason and Martin!
Daniel.

Sorry for being noob, but how does that reflects on driving or performance taht difference in belt and chain?
Google says its the same thing but i guess you know something more when mentioning it.

The belt has to be replaced at intervals where the chain is not servicable.....

No difference in performance.....

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi Xamaxy and welcome to the club!  :)
Both the 1.6 CRDi and the 2.0 CRDi are great engines.
The service cost and the fuel consumption for the 2.0 CRDi is little higher...
But the torque that the 2.0 CRDi engine produce is GREAT! You will not be disappointed....
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hi all, new here, soon to be owner of new i30  8)..., i'm in a dilema what engine to get:

1- 2.0 crdi 140hp iThink
2- 1.6 crdi 128hp iThink

Money difference 500 euro so not an issue...first i was like 2.0 is fastest and that's it but now i saw that 1.6 is newer engine.
Which one is better? To me is like power(2.0) vS economy (1.6) and I'm not sure what to do...
Any advice will be helpfull!

Thx a lot!!    Martin

If you are going to live with this new i30 for some years, perhaps this depends on what you are driving now.

Going with the 1.6, will you miss the extra power of the 2.0 compared with your current car  :question:

Get that choice wrong and you may regret it, but if that's not a problem then either will do a great job  :D

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland

As said IMCRZY and SRT METRO, both engines are great, in 2.0 CRDI you have to replace the timing belt with tensioner and roll (every 160.000km) so the service cost will be little higher.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'd go with the U2 1.6 CRDi with the 6 speed box.

The 2.0 had been phased out in the UK, possibly to be replaced with a new variant some time in 2010.

Xamaxy
Thx dudes! That was awesome help!!
Considering i have now Lantra 1.5 90HP, with 8.5-9l / 100km on average when NOT pressing it, slightly higher 2.0 fuel usage wont kill me then :D
I agree Lorian that 2010. i30 will be better but i have to grab now this low "world crysis" price, and pick one :) just a year ago it was around 22,000euro, now is 17,000 - 13% discount.
Really think thats a good time to get it.

So, tomorrow ordering, this will be longest 45-60 days in my life :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi & welcome, larger motors do not always  use more fuel sometimes they can use less fuel as they make more torque. also with belt driven cams v chain, the belt drive has good points in that it does not transmit harmonic vibrations, the chain being metal transmits these vibrations, eventually these vibrations can cause other problems long term. it is normally not hard at all to change a cam belt drive but, belts can break, just these new age belt drives are very strong and  robust, the past ten years belt's have come a long way. chains eventually wear out and the sprokets that drive them wear out too.
if it was me i would take the extra power and torque.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
At the end of the day it comes down to what you want the car for.

such as:
If you do frequent long trips then the 2l would probably be the choice.

If it's just regular stop start and commuting short distance - the the 1.6 would be adequate.

Do you have a full load? Again if so, the higher 2l.

Running cost.  Are these a consideration?

There are plently of comments on the site to help you decide.

Whichever one you choose it will have been the right choice.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Like lakes said depending how you drive sometimes a bigger engine is better on fuel (from my experience the 1.6 getz is more economical in real world situations than the 1.4 ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Timing belts aren't as evil as people make out.  Like Lakes said chains also have negative attributes.  A well designed engine and proper maintenance you wont have any problems with a belt unless you are unlucky, and that can happen to the best of cars.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
As there is no belt to change then the service cost will be lower
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
Out of several cars (15+) of which few had belts I have had two belt failures; breakage with one (my fault for not monitoring its age) and jumping teeth with another due to poor dealer service.  Both times these caused a dead stop on the road (and I was lucky I had no valve/piston damage as both cars had interfering valves).  Of all the others with chains... no trouble at all. Actually a couple of Holdens had fibre gears.

While there may be disadvantages with chains they seldom fail catastrophically without warning noises.

I considered the chain on the 1.6 diesel a serious plus.  Timing belts are a potential source of serious engine damage (and serious money) without notice.

Agree that proper (belt) maintenance is mandatory.

I worked in an industry that used cog belts a lot.  Sorry, even though this was many years ago... an all metal engine with plastic belts in critical areas?  Nup!

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
I think that Pip is right. However I had a few cars with a timing belt and no trouble at all, I think that manufacturers of cars change project  newest engines with apply timimg chains. And I think that belt replace intervals in 2.0 crdi (160.000 km) is exaggerate (marketing trick), because other cars manufacturers recomended replace every 90-120 000km. This is my opinion only.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i've had cars with timing belts, one i used to change  the belt every 30,000k, i've never had a problem, but a mate that done lots of miles had an old Dato 1 ton ute have the cam chain jump teeth put the cam timing out. i bough a New Harley Davidson about several years back, its a big twin and uses chain drive, the chain tentioner kept wearing out, it used two cam chains its a Porsche design and uses two cam chain tentioners, the outter tetioner was easy to change the inner cam chain tentioned is a lot more work to change. i was doing a lot of miles on that bike and had to change those tentioners a lot and they were not cheap to buy, i then had a new chain tentioner fall apart and was lucky to get it before the parts went through the motor. i then changed to gear driven cams, but they make a noise but have been trouble free.
i drag race my harley in a factory backed class, i see guys race useing belt rear drive, these new belts are very thin and are more robust that belts Harleys used  10 or 15 years back, the drag strip is sprayed with traction compound so the surface is extreamly tacky, my boots stick to it, these belts are under a lot more stress than a cam chain timing belt. two  things that can cause belt's to fail quick is if they are sealed in and subject to heat and can not breath, another is if an object gets between the belt and the gear that drives it.
the nitro burning bikes also use a Belt primary drive they are making 800plus HP if runing on both cylinders. the nitro Top Fuel Dragsters use belt drives too and they have to turn the superchargers a lot of stress there, but if  these two extream motors used a chain to drive the primary ofr the supercharger and they broke a chain it could kill someone. i've seen chains break, the rthe rear chain on a top fuel bike is double row with double links and costs close to $2,000 i've  seen them break.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
From my own personal experience, i've had no trouble with timing belts, but lots of trouble with timing chains.  These, however were all older engines.  I've noticed the problems with belts seem to be lack of maintenance or bad design.  Seems the failures that occur before changing at the correct interval all seem to be the same model of car.  Problems I've had with chains have always been bad design, or camshaft grind and valve springs were too aggressive.  All I'm trying to say is just because a car has a timing belt doesnt automatically mean its a POS.

Pip
..All I'm trying to say is just because a car has a timing belt doesnt automatically mean its a POS.
To suggest that would certainly be silly. I am however happy with my personal belief that chains are less likely to fail without warning and given both methods well engineered, I'd still prefer a chain.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal