i30 Owners Club

Loss of Power

Offline jbez85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi all, first time posting.

i30 Wagon, GD, 1.6ltr auto.

Starts fine, accelerates fine until it hits 3000rpm and cuts fuel (not fully), then acceleration is sluggish.

Initially thought it was missing so replaced plugs and ignition coils.

Does this in auto, or sitting in neutral or or manual shift of auto (tried to see if it was anything to do with box)

Thoughts? Is this limp mode? No engine light, buying a fault code reader tomorrow.

Assuming something is telling the ECU to cut fuel?
  • i30 Wagon 2014, petrol, 1.6ltr

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
There are a number of threads here on the forum referring to "power" and "3000", some pointing to fuel filter.
See this for example: :link: Limp Mode
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline jbez85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks Mate,

I did have a look at those, but all seemed to be for the diesel engine? I guess applicable to the petrol... (just find it strange that form 0-2999 RPM there is zero issues with acceleration, hence why I didnt think a fuel filter - Still might change anyway just to rule out).

Got the OBD reader today, no faults. (Watched fuel pressure increase but then cut (which is why i think its the ECU entering a limp mode or something, maybe it monitors fuel pressure and cuts for safety??)

Will keep troubleshooting and advise,

If anyone has any other suggestions, please sign out.

Offline jbez85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Righto fixed. Bear with me.

Replaced fuel filter (in tank fuel filter). Fault remained. (check this link out for a similar fuel filter replacement jog guide:- :link: Hyundai ix35 InTank Fuel Filter Replacement - YouTube), not too hard, a bit fiddley.

Next functional check I ran it for longer, RPM increased to the 3000 RPM then would drop down 200-300 rpm and then do it again (similar to a rev limited), I had the OBD connected and just kept my foot on accelerator, it then started doing it at 2200 RPM and then threw a fault code.

Fault code was P0336 'Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit range/performance'. I then cleared the fault and restarted car, fault was intermittent again (not throwing that code and going to back to the 3000 RPM drop off).

So in a nutshell its a half failure that might look like something else (ie not throwing a fault code every time).

Replaced crankshaft angle sensor (https://www.repco.com.au/parts-service/electrical-parts-vehicle-management/crank-angle-sensors/goss-crankshaft-angle-sensor-sc447/p/A9502830?kwSearch=crankshaft).

Note: I would not use a Goss crankshaft angle sensor again. This was only 18 months old (last time it was a hard fault with 0 RPM and ESP light coming on). I only went with Goss again as I couldnt wait for an OEM one.

At least its got some new plugs and new fuel filter!!!

First time using a OBD (my old 100 series is none compatible) - These things are great.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal