i30 Owners Club

getting oil filter out of 2009 diesel

Rae · 19 · 2292

Offline Rae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
My oil  filter removal is blocked by some electrical connections...and I am worried about breaking something to  get it loose ..... Any tips.?
Also the filter needs a 27 mm socket. I was surprised at the odd number.....how many people have a 27 mm socket laying around? :undecided:
see photo

• 2009 hyundi i30 1.6 diesel wagon

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My 2009 CRDi doesn't seem to have as much obstruction as yours.

I also didn't have a 27mm socket so I made my own:

:link: STL file 19mm to 27mm Socket Adapter 🔧 ・3D printing template to download・Cults
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@Rae.  I found this on YouTube for Hyundai i30 CRDi 1.6 litre 2009 model.  Does it help or just confuse you more?  :neutral:

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Rae.  Out of curiosity I quickly browsed a few YouTube videos and in most of them the oil filter was easier to access than yours (they were more like what The Gonz said in his post above).   

Example:

You mentioned: Also the filter needs a 27 mm socket. I was surprised at the odd number.....how many people have a 27 mm socket laying around?   Just us tool nuts!! :lol:

:D   

The above two 27mm sockets are from my roller toolbox, I think I have the same again somewhere in my track toolboxes (now well stored away and sadly no longer used).

If you intend to buy a 27mm socket but are still worried about clearing that plug connector, you maybe could use a 1/2" sq.dr. wobble extension which might offset the angle of attack on the filter enough to avoid the plug connector. 

I've posted above a short 50mm L wobble extension and it would need a normal extension bar added to it to reach the ratchet.  Or,  you could just use one long wobble extension up to the ratchet.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 04:44:32 by TerryT »

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
These must be korean-built cars for the Aussie market, my czech-built diesel has nothing in the way to impede access to the oil filter. I have a Hilka 1/2" socket set and that includes a 27mm socket. Take care when screwing the filter cap back on so that you don't get the threads crossed, and lubricate the big o-ring. You have to push the cover down quite firmly to push the filter cartridge into the housing, and there's more resistance as the o-ring gets squeezed into place, but after that, it doesn't take much effort to screw the cap on until it is fully seated. Max 35Nm torque.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Mine is the same.
Just push the clip down, and it pops off easily. 👍

• 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon, and 1 x 2015 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Mine is the same.
Just push the clip down, and it pops off easily. 👍

@Greenroome.  Your photo of the clip is much clearer than the guide I posted above and it should help Rae safely disconnect the part.  Thank you.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
My oil filter removal is blocked by some electrical connections...and I am worried about breaking something to get it loose ..... Any tips.?

So, did Greenroome's post help you sort your problem?

Offline Rae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
thank you all for your input. It was done with your help. And not that difficult.
As I just happened to be going thru some old tool box and found an Imperial socket which was almost identical to a 27mm...and did the job.
Filter was 28$ AUD which I thought a bit steep...but that's life.

Now I have another problem...there is some fuel under pressure and leaking. I think it is fuel anyway, although it is black....with soot?
It is being found in the well around  one injector...and each time I soak it up, it returns after a 3 km trek. I have attached two pics showing by placing a drilll bit where the oil is gathering.
What I am wondering...is it a bad oring or seal somewhere or something more sinister.?

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@Rae.  Glad to hear problem was sorted.  Re your latest problem, unfortunately I know little about diesel engines and nothing about (possible) black fuel with soot so I'll leave it to our more knowledgeable members.

BTW, please excuse my tired ol' eyes but I couldn't see the drill bit in your photo, so where is it hiding in plain sight?  :)

Offline Rae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
yes it is a hex bit for hex head screws.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

So, not a drill bit, but a hex bit (for hex head screws).  Sorry, and at the risk of looking foolish, I still cannot see it. Can you repost your photo circling the hex bit that shows where the oil (or petrol?) is gathering? Thanks.

Offline Bob.W

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

So, not a drill bit, but a hex bit (for hex head screws).  Sorry, and at the risk of looking foolish, I still cannot see it. Can you repost your photo circling the hex bit that shows where the oil (or petrol?) is gathering? Thanks.

You're not alone - took me an extra suiz to locate - dead centre-ish in both pix , the rusty/orange looking thing is a hex head bit for a driver, standing upright.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks Bob, makes sense. I won't bore you with the why-for but I was overthinking it and looking for something else a bit more pointer-ish, and hurriedly did not recognise Brah's bit (aka, a nut driver bit?) as it!

@brah. Mate, I hope your other tools are in better shape.   :wink:  :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 10:58:08 by TerryT »

Offline brah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
!

Not sure you meant to tag me @TerryT , haven’t commented on this thread  :lol:
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
!

Not sure you meant to tag me @TerryT , haven’t commented on this thread  :lol:

Oops, sorry, my bad. Having a bad hair day. :-[   I meant @Rae.

Offline Rae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Glad we can all get a laugh out of this. That hex bit has seen some work, no doubt.
As for the problem, I' m leaning towards a leaking injector seal. There does not appear to be moisture on the fuel line where it enters injector, and the moisture i see is not so dirty until it builds up ( sooty?).
So my idea is to take to a diesel mechanic and have a short yarn. Expecting he will want to remove injector and replace seals ( oring, square ring, copper washer) and clean it up.

Offline Rae

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I know this will be difficult to believe or understand.
After buying the needed copper washer and 2 rings ( oring and square ring)..i took car to diesel engineer to assist in replacing.
He ascertained it was NOT fuel i was seeing around the injector, but oil.
I wondered how oil could be there.
We undid the injector clamp. We removed the bolt. We spied with a flashlight down the hole.
There was a dark spot on the side of the bolt ' tube' and oil in the ' well'. !!!
We removed a different bolt. But no dark spot and no oil in bolt hole.

Go figure?
And we figured or rather he figured the aluminium cylinder head had a weak spot and had broken away.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@Rae.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal