Motoring ignorance and knowledge

Guest · 165 · 28370

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I am sure Adelaide drivers are the worst in the world.

No.
Come to the UK and you see drivers who just sit in the 2nd and 3rd lanes on motorways for miles and miles and miles with no one in lane 1.

I once followed a car from Carlise to near Preston, say some 90/100 miles, with the car sat in the middle lane doing no more than 60mph

(I was going slow because I had a metro full to the brim with cases, 2 kids and a wife and you only went faster with a down hill and the wind behind you  :rofl: )

I tend to pull up to them in lane 1 and just hang slightly back for a while then make a point of overtaking by going behind then to lane 3 then sit in front of them some way in front and you should see how they move into lane 1 so quick as they think I'm an unmarked traffic car.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

(I was going slow because I had a metro full to the brim with cases)

A METRO ....... A REAL METRO  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember them well.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

(I was going slow because I had a metro full to the brim with cases)

A METRO ....... A REAL METRO  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember them well.

YES

A genuine Austin Metro which served me for 8 years before I sold it to a 17 yo who then got 5 more years out of it.

PS It passed each MOT without a hitch.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
YES

A genuine Austin Metro which served me for 8 years before I sold it to a 17 yo who then got 5 more years out of it.

PS It passed each MOT without a hitch.

I'll bet you wouldn't want one now though  :o :o I had a 1.3 and at the time, thought it was the bees knees :goodjob:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep, I had a 1.3HLS, one step down from the MG, white mag wheels, striping kit, roof spoiler and 4 big Cibies on the front bumper, I think the lights weighed more than the rest of the car.

I remember getting a puncture one day, pulled the jack out of the boot and went to work.  Cranking away but the car didn't seem to be going up to quick, lokked up to realise that the drivers seat was rising instead :rofl:

I learnt a lot about engines and DIY maintenance on that car, think my arse was more often sticking out of the bonnet than on the seat!  When she went she was fast though, and boy did they hold the road.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Bel680

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I hate tailgaters, people who drive 20 under the spead limit and then speed up when you go to pass them, the morons who jump into gaps I leave so I feel safe.. the whole lot!

On the Headlight's I always had at least my parker on while driving my Old girl (Black) and I'm just getting out of the habit now I've got Bluebelle, but I always turn them on on Country roads...

Honestly drivers in Perth Suck, and all you need to do to realise how true this is, is to drive on the Freeway in peak hour(s) traffic...
  • SX MY11 Vivid Blue Hatch - Bluebelle

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
 but you're allowed to change lanes while on the roundabout [/quote]

That is true, snowcherry, but only if you indicate and shoulder check. I really meant idiots that go into a roundabout in one lane, move across to the other lane, then move back across back into the original lane they entered the roundabout on...without indicating.  :mad: :mad:

Idiots failing to indicate left when exiting roundabouts also have a knack of getting my middle finger erect :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. I can't hold off any longer. :evil:

Some of the above also affect me but I'll re-list because I have a different take on some of them.

Sorry Dazz but I absolutely detest people driving with their fog lights on when there's no fog. Apart from the fact that it's against the law, regardless of the "intensity" of them, they add light sources to what is flooding into oncoming drivers' eyes. I know they're down low (as they should be) but they aren't necessary.
I drove back from Brisbane the other night (after going to see David Strassman and LMTO), and was again impressed with the spread and vision given by the i30 lights even on low beam.

I don't like people pulling into my "safety zone" in front of me either but I have to say, on a multi-lane road there are numerous valid reasons for doing so - needing to get out of the way of a fast approaching car from the rear, needing to leave the highway on one side or the other, and so on. Now, when it happens I try to remind myself of the times I have had to do it. Mind you, far too many do it dangerously, even stupidly.

People who pull up at a set of lights in the centre lane but don't put their indicator on until the light goes green and you're stuck behind them.

Tailgaters. I just go progressively slower and slower. I know I'm probably going to end up a victim of road rage one day but its just my little protest.

Driving the Pacific Hwy in particular where there are long stretches of one lane each way then "passing lanes". at which point the asshole who's been driving 10 or so klms under the speed limit, suddenly speeds up to a few k's above it, meaning if you pass him, the cop sitting at the end of the passing lane strip is going to get you.

Pushbike riders who ride in packs across the whole lane when they have been presented with bike lanes aplenty - especially on the Sunshine Coast. When I was a young driver, someone gave me a piece of advice which I've never forgotten. There is no point in being in the right if you end up in a cemetery. Push bike riders love to flaunt their right to be on the road. But if being there and trying to "take" your right of way from a car kills you, it's not worth it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Idiots at roundabouts not indicating properly and/or changing lanes while on the roundabout...GEEEZZZ I hate that :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It causes a fair bit of one finger saluting from me, I'm afraid to say. :scared: :scared:

but you're allowed to change lanes while on the roundabout

well there's always the fun of  watching people miss their turn off on a roundabout so decide to hit reverse and try again. yes i have seen this

but i will admit i have had my share of bad roundabout exits. usually ones that have changed since the last time you have used them with inadequate to no signage during roadworks, and you realise at the very last possible second you're in the wrong lane and have to make a terrifying mad dash to jump a lane much to screaming tirading stress of the driver you cut off. said roundabout being that huge one at the brisbane airport crossroads gateway motorway with traffic lights. i didn't mean to but i was lost, highly stressed, and could not handle having to go around that damn roundabout again to get to my exit just because there was no signage telling me what lane i had to be in to exit in the first place! 'phew'  :faint:

THAT roundabout! It changes every few months and has just changed again (whilst we were overseas). A bloody nightmare, I agree.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Speaking of motoring ignorance and roundabouts, what about those bloody "two way" roundabouts you have in the UK?
We ran into one in 2000. I think it was near Milton Keynes.

An absolute nightmare.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Airheads on mobile phones get on my goat :'( :'(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Drivers that are so paranoid of getting pinged by a speed camera that they travel at 5-10 k's under the speedlimit..... :mad:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Drivers that purposely position their vehicle to stop motorcyclists from lane splitting....... :mad:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

That is true, snowcherry, but only if you indicate and shoulder check. I really meant idiots that go into a roundabout in one lane, move across to the other lane, then move back across back into the original lane they entered the roundabout on...without indicating.  :mad: :mad:

oh! well in that case rant away.  :goodjob:

THAT roundabout! It changes every few months and has just changed again (whilst we were overseas). A bloody nightmare, I agree.

glad i'm not the only one!
it might be fine for people who use it every day but when you're visiting the area and haven't seen it in months it's confusing as anything.  :-\
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
Speaking of motoring ignorance and roundabouts, what about those bloody "two way" roundabouts you have in the UK?

An absolute nightmare.

These things?

They're pretty good if you're ready for them and know what to do. Complete nightmare if you just come across one unprepared.

Seems the fashion amongst UK road planners at the moment is for managed interchange junctions instead of roundabouts. I'm not a 100% convinced.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Wow! You're not kidding about it being a nightmare.... :eek:

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
   People who drive so close to your rear end BECAUSE they can see by the gloss of your paint work and your rego number plate 'IT'S A NEW CAR' ... lets get the rubber glove and check out his prostate while we're here up his arse .......  :lol:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
This might be petty but just one (There are many) of my pet hates are the w@nker$ that doctor their number plates with rivets& plugs etc, so that it spells out their name. I mean,c'mon, just HOW VAIN are you people ??? ???

sad bar stewards they certainly are, the anoracks who probably become special coppers!!  w@nker$  for sure

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Airheads on mobile phones get on my goat :'( :'(

Illegal in UK and they will be fined and points on licence if caught.

But a lot still drive and phone at the same time 

My hate :evil:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I really meant idiots that go into a roundabout in one lane, move across to the other lane, then move back across back into the original lane they entered the roundabout on...without indicating.  :mad: :mad:

This is one of my pet hates

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

An absolute nightmare.

These things?

They're pretty good if you're ready for them and know what to do. Complete nightmare if you just come across one unprepared.

Seems the fashion amongst UK road planners at the moment is for managed interchange junctions instead of roundabouts. I'm not a 100% convinced.

Yeah. That's the type.
You're right. They seem to work. I just made a quick decision as to where I wanted to get off and pointed the car there - and it worked. There were a lot more cars on the one I was in, though.
Hope I never see another one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Imagine our new member Martin coming across that .. :eek: It scares me and I've been driving for more than 35 years  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Imagine our new member Martin coming across that .. :eek: It scares me and I've been driving for more than 35 years  :rolleyes:

I've seen that roundabout set, and believe me it's no problem whatsoever. When it starts to scare you, you simply click the "forward" button on photobucket and move onto the next picture :lol: :P

Sorry for the OT  :confused:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Imagine our new member Martin coming across that .. :eek: It scares me and I've been driving for more than 35 years  :rolleyes:

I've seen that roundabout set, and believe me it's no problem whatsoever. When it starts to scare you, you simply click the "forward" button on photobucket and move onto the next picture :lol: :P

Sorry for the OT  :confused:

Hmmm?

Why does this come to mind??

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

holy!
have a question. where the white van is....can the car on the right of him (and a bit behind) turn right to exit the road on the right, or do you have to turn left and go all the way around?

it looks scary, but i made myself look at it for awhile, and i 'think' i'm getting it
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Yesterday on the way home from work in three lane traffic, I pulled up at a set of traffic lights next to a guy on a motor scooter texting on a mobile. He had positioned his scooter in a left turn only lane and then proceeded straight into the intersection when the lights changed to green...still texting!!  I could have flattened him (maybe I should have...improve the gene pool)  :mad: :mad:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Speaking of motorcycles/scooters.....

MY pet hate is some service station attendants insisting you remove your helmet when you go in to pay for your fuel.... :mad:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

MY pet hate is some service station attendants insisting you remove your helmet when you go in to pay for your fuel.... :mad:

Have someone in a helmet point a gun at you and you might feel differently Russ.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

holy!
have a question. where the white van is....can the car on the right of him (and a bit behind) turn right to exit the road on the right, or do you have to turn left and go all the way around?

it looks scary, but i made myself look at it for awhile, and i 'think' i'm getting it

If I understand it correctly, he can turn right at the "little" feeder roundabout just in front of him into one of the three lanes with the arrows pointing anti-clockwise. But one of our UK "locals" may be better placed to clarify it.
And you're right, Snowcherry. The system does work but I want to know what the guy was on who thought it out in the first place.  :scared:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton

Have someone in a helmet point a gun at you and you might feel differently Russ.

Try telling a muslim to take of their burka !!

you dont need a crash helmet to point a gun either !

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal