i30 Owners Club

Motoring ignorance and knowledge

Guest · 165 · 28383

Pip
This is a very excellent forum where there has been lots of good advice, and with respect, some misleading advice. Nevertheless this is and should be a forum of strong opinions where everyone has a say...

This is a starter thread where everyone can show their knowledge (or otherwise) about how the "others" have no idea :rolleyes: how cars work or how they should be driven. This can be a whinge thread... but please in good humour and certainly with an real effort to educate!

Let me start with my pet motoring peave... hmmm... what is it?...

I honestly think this will not be controversial; People that use "my" space when changing lanes when I've allowed sufficient room in front between me and the car in front. It's ok when the traffic is busy and everyone is trying to get home but when there is room and time it just shits me when I need to accomodate someone that simply "pushes in" without apparent reason or consideration.

And on the more technical front I offer nothing to start, although I imagine someone would like to tell us about slip angles, suspension tuning, gas flow, super/turbo charging, gearing, relationship of torque and power, difference between diesel and petrol/gas engines and any number of things to educate us.

Come on this is an open invitation to tell us what you think we ought to know. :cool: Don't be shy.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

People that use "my" space when changing lanes when I've allowed sufficient room in front between me and the car in front.

This is the norn where I live. 

It's as if by flashing the indicators the space is automatically there for them.

Even when the space is not there they will just move over expecting you to give way even thro' you have the right of passage.  :evil:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Incorrect use of Fog lights :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:   £30 fine for incorrect use

Read the highway code (226 & 236) and law here for use of fog lights http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

People who think having a 3 inch square ice free hole in their windscreen to look out off when setting off. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Read the highway code (229) and law here for use of fog lights http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Incorrect use of Fog lights :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:   £30 fine for incorrect use

This is an every day happening here.

Even in daylight they have them on!!!!!

The Police do nowt.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

People that use "my" space when changing lanes when I've allowed sufficient room in front between me and the car in front.

This is the norn where I live. 

It's as if by flashing the indicators the space is automatically there for them.

Even when the space is not there they will just move over expecting you to give way even thro' you have the right of passage.  :evil:

:scared: :scared: I had an 18 wheel truck do this to me in the snow the other night, he came down the outside lane of the dual carriageway as I was treading carefully at 45mph behind the queue of cars in front, realised that the snow in his lane was piling up, hit it and just pulled in, bloody dangerous trucker from Scumdee who was swiftly reported................for all the good that will do :evil:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Tail gaters

Especially when I am the victim.

Even more so when it is a 40 ton lorry trying to climb into my boot.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

This is an every day happening here.

Even in daylight they have them on!!!!!

The Police do nowt.

I am going to play devils advocate here :twisted: :twisted: and blame the manufacturers.  In the old days when we first started fitting spotlights to our motors, you bought 2 white driving lamps for the top of the bumper and two yellow ones for under the bumper, wired them to different switches and off you went.  These days cos fog lights are also white, folk don't understand the difference between driving lamps and fog lamps, perhaps cars need to be like phones and come with quick reference guides highlighting the vehicles features which are immediately apparent rather than hiding them in massive manuals which people definitely don't read, look at the number of requests we get on here for items which are in the owners handbook...........
I think this is further complicated these days by manufacturers having the bumper inset lights connected to the indicators so only one comes on going round junctions/roundabouts etc, then switch back off after a set time.

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
This problem with Fog lights being used as Driving lights must be world wide as we have exactly the same problem people here. I think a lot of people feel it's a cool look a bit rally driverish  :rolleyes:.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I will play the devils advocate too   :tomato: The foglights on the i30 (in oz anyway) and on my Hybrid aren't that bright as to cause an issue for any other drivers on the road... I can't see the problem. I think most of us agree that the mid range and higher models with foglights look better than those without.

I think a car with headlights and (white) foglights on can look quite sporty and in the case of my Hybrid they do light up the sides of the road a little bit extra to help with spotting wildlife etc.. :wink: I have my Headlights (and foglights) set to auto and they come on right on dusk by themselves.

Hopefully they won't book me here as it doesn't seem to be a big issue as far as the local police are concerned.

Bright driving lights (within the town boundary or not dipped for oncoming traffic) are a different matter..

My pet hates are tail gaters, people who don't indicate (or leave their indicators on when not turning - very dangerous  :eek:) and slow drivers in the right lane..

Oh, and people who drive slow on single lanes then speed up when you try to pass on passing lanes..   :mad: :mad:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I hate the drivers that sit up your clacker out on the highway, then fly past at the first opportunity only to slow right down at the first sign of a few corners which then holds everyone up.  :eek:

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
people (normally female) :rolleyes: who pull up 5 metres short of the junction and when there is a gap in the traffic where they could have gone,   pull foreward to the stop lines ??????????? :twisted:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.

Oh, and people who drive slow on single lanes then speed up when you try to pass on passing lanes..   :mad: :mad:

This sh!ts me to tears, and I quite often pretend in my mind I am passing them and then throwing tyre spikes out my window, then I come back to reality and just sit back and calm down.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I had a real bad one on the way to Launceston recently.. 80 to 90kph on the single lanes (seemed to have trouble deciding) then when I went to pass on the passing lane sped up to 110 Kph.. wow did that make me cranky  :mad:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rocket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

In Adelaide, The Right hand lane has become the new Left hand lane.

Right hand lane hogs absolutely everywhere doing 60k in a 80k zone. Cops seem oblivious to it.

Even indicators are optional it seems.

When they see me swearing at them or giving the bird, they look at you as if you are the crazy one. Even trucks are doing it now. I am sure Adelaide drivers are the worst in the world.

Rocket.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
people (normally female) :rolleyes: who pull up 5 metres short of the junction and when there is a gap in the traffic where they could have gone,   pull foreward to the stop lines ??????????? :twisted:

Watch it paul :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
dirt... I HATE DIRTY CARS

and stone chips.... they will be the death of me

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I hate the drivers that sit up your clacker out on the highway, then fly past at the first opportunity only to slow right down at the first sign of a few corners which then holds everyone up.  :eek:

Yeah me too and the ones that will do 150kpm to pass you and then reset their cruies to sit on 105km ...... bugs me big time  :evil:

We are encouraged here in WA to drive with our dipped headlights on at all times on country roads during the day, which I feel is a great idea and a lot easier to see on coming vehicles.

Btw way I like the look of UM's sister too ......... as well as UM that is  :)

:cool:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
This might be petty but just one (There are many) of my pet hates are the w@nker$ that doctor their number plates with rivets& plugs etc, so that it spells out their name. I mean,c'mon, just HOW VAIN are you people ??? ???

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I hate it when people drive with their headlights on during the day...... :mad:
Fair enough if the weather is lousy, but fair dinkum, if you can't see a car during the day then perhaps you shouldn't be driving?  :-\

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

oh this is my number one per hate   :evil:

along with this  :mad:

happens a lot in central qld. thought it weird at first but pretty used to it now. its something to do with heat haze? or something, i keep getting different reasons depending on who i ask

This might be petty but just one (There are many) of my pet hates are the w@nker$ that doctor their number plates with rivets& plugs etc, so that it spells out their name. I mean,c'mon, just HOW VAIN are you people ??? ???

huh?  ???
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Fair enough if the weather is lousy, but fair dinkum, if you can't see a car during the day then perhaps you shouldn't be driving?  :-\

Well here in Europe [Not sure if it is going to be worldwide], ALL cars for 2011 MUST have their lights on during the day.  I guess it's just like the Volvos that have had them this way for years. Personally, it doesn't bother me and think it is a good saftey feature :goodjob:.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

Well here in Europe [Not sure if it is going to be worldwide], ALL cars for 2011 MUST have their lights on during the day.  I guess it's just like the Volvos that have had them this way for years. Personally, it doesn't bother me and think it is a good saftey feature :goodjob:.

odd. for the record i prefer they didn't, i'm just getting used to it. but i can't see why you'd make it a necessity. unless you have bad lighting there?
which actually is a valid point as england for example does have different lighting to say australia. 

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

No doubt our bureaucrats will attempt to bring it in in Australia sooner rather than later.....gotta be seen to be doing something... :mad:
They introduced it with motorcycles back in the 90's but, after protests the law was later rescinded as there wasn't enough proof that having headlights "hardwired" permanently on was of any benefit....

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Idiots at roundabouts not indicating properly and/or changing lanes while on the roundabout...GEEEZZZ I hate that :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It causes a fair bit of one finger saluting from me, I'm afraid to say. :scared: :scared:

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
People with fluffy toys hanging from their rear view mirror.

Signs in the rear window proclaiming "Baby on Board"
or even worse "Little Prince/Princess on Board"

Whats all that about?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Idiots at roundabouts not indicating properly and/or changing lanes while on the roundabout...GEEEZZZ I hate that :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It causes a fair bit of one finger saluting from me, I'm afraid to say. :scared: :scared:

What you said, U.M....plus what is it that is so hard to understand about giving way at a roundabout?
It really bugs me that most drivers think you have to give way to vehicles on your right that are approaching the roundabout. The rules (in Australia) clearly state that a driver entering a roundabout must give way to any vehicle IN the roundabout....

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Whats all that about?

Yep, hate those, however they are a good safety feature for surrounding motorists, if somebody is displaying one of these it means they are not paying attention to you and that they are actually arguing with the fruit of their loins in the back seats.  This means that you should back off (for your own safety) as they are about to commit the most ridiculous move you have ever seen. :goodjob:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

but you're allowed to change lanes while on the roundabout

well there's always the fun of  watching people miss their turn off on a roundabout so decide to hit reverse and try again. yes i have seen this

but i will admit i have had my share of bad roundabout exits. usually ones that have changed since the last time you have used them with inadequate to no signage during roadworks, and you realise at the very last possible second you're in the wrong lane and have to make a terrifying mad dash to jump a lane much to screaming tirading stress of the driver you cut off. said roundabout being that huge one at the brisbane airport crossroads gateway motorway with traffic lights. i didn't mean to but i was lost, highly stressed, and could not handle having to go around that damn roundabout again to get to my exit just because there was no signage telling me what lane i had to be in to exit in the first place! 'phew'  :faint:

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.

Bonus points for when the sign is dead centre of the rear window. Presumably so they can use the read view mirror to check is hasn't fallen off.

I've seen people drive with their satnav stuck right in front of them. Not the centre of the windscreen, but right in their line of sight directly above the steering wheel.  :scared:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Another thing I hate is when women open the door to let the clutch out.  Geez

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal