i30 Owners Club

Brake lights.

copycats · 37 · 27911

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Hi all, Am I missing something before I take it to the dealer.
Problem is the brake lights have stopped working. Replaced the bulbs checked the fuse.Still no brake lights.
The high line brake light still works, the tail lights still work, but no brake light on ether side. :confused:
Its the estate/wagon model that has 2 stop and tail lights either side.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard mate.  :razz: it could be the brake light switch.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome copycats..

What country are you in out of interest? UK by the sound of it  :winker:

Have you had the car long and did you buy it brand new? As far as the lights go it sounds like Steve has nailed the problem which will be a warranty fix  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If the high line light is working it would appear that the brake light switch is OK. Could be a poor earth connection to the rear brake lights. Whatever - get it fixed under warranty.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
dead rite Alan  :goodjob: i missread the higher brake light bit.  :-[ it cant be the switch.  :-\

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome.
Personaly I think it needs a ECU reset, didn't think it could be a switch or fuse because the highline was still working,didn't think it was the bulbs either but changed them anyway for elimination purposes.Car is only 8 months old and yes Sherlock I do live in the UK, what was the give away?
Dealer is not that handy , but looks like its going to have to go in.

On a side note it was through you guys on this forum that I idecided to purchase an i30  :goodjob:
I use it as a Taxi and overall fairly happy.Im going to post on the "what you dont like about the i30" thread
where I wll describe  3 trivial dislikes that annoy the hell out of me on a daily basis.
Thanks again

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you mentioned it was an estate first,then a wagon.  :idea: :razz:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Personaly I think it needs a ECU reset...

There's a device behind the dash called the BCM (Body Control Module) that controls the lights (and other things). Not sure how that would get reset, other than by the dealership.

Might be tempted to disconnect the battery for half an hour to see if that helps. After reconnecting it of course :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yep that was the give away and the fact that recent Euro built cars seem to have more faults than the Korean Built ones  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've noticed the same thing dazz.  :confused:

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
You know I went over the post again and again looking for the give away.
Seems the car's a bit like me.
Lights are on but dont work to good  :lol:

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Personaly I think it needs a ECU reset...

There's a device behind the dash called the BCM (Body Control Module) that controls the lights (and other things). Not sure how that would get reset, other than by the dealership.

Might be tempted to disconnect the battery for half an hour to see if that helps. After reconnecting it of course :P

Thanks. Done a quick disconnection when I noticed the problem , no joy.. Seconds rather than minutes though

Does a longer disconnection time make a difference do you think?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 try half an hour, to an hour.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Does a longer disconnection time make a difference do you think?

As with a lot of electronics in modern cars there will be electrolytic capacitors in the circuit - they act to smooth out spikes [amongst other purposes] but have the added feature of retaining a small charge; you do need to leave it a while. Someone on the forum also suggested depressing the brake pedal to ensure a full discharge, but seeing as your brake lights ain't even coughing that probably won't make a difference ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
Alan's probably closest. It's got to be something common to the two rear lights so I'd go for the active wire that goes to the lower brake lights. Perhaps a loose connector. It could be an earth as Alan suggested but then again I'd expect that to be common to the tail lights also.

Dealer will fix it... let's know what he says it is.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Right here is my 2 pennyworth, more like a quid  :rolleyes:

As it is both rear side and not the high one then I would expect it to do with the wire contact.

If you have a tester remove one of the bulbs and see if current is present when the brake pedal is pressed.  If not try the other.

If current present then it may be a problem with the holder or even the bulb contact points.

Also, try and trace the wire from 1 unit to other and see whether it has been knocked and not making contact.

Did this happen after you used the boot and may be knocked some componets?

PS as you use it for taxi service do you get spot checked by the Council? 
If so, get it sorted ASAP before you are pulled off the road.
Also, is this a mandatory fine/points by our boys in blue for not having brake lights?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
try half an hour, to an hour.
Disconnected for over a hour this time.No Joy

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Do your reversing lights work? They share a common ground with the brake lights.

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Right here is my 2 pennyworth, more like a quid  :rolleyes:

As it is both rear side and not the high one then I would expect it to do with the wire contact.

If you have a tester remove one of the bulbs and see if current is present when the brake pedal is pressed.  If not try the other.

If current present then it may be a problem with the holder or even the bulb contact points.

Also, try and trace the wire from 1 unit to other and see whether it has been knocked and not making contact.

Did this happen after you used the boot and may be knocked some componets?

PS as you use it for taxi service do you get spot checked by the Council? 
If so, get it sorted ASAP before you are pulled off the road.
Also, is this a mandatory fine/points by our boys in blue for not having brake lights?

Your right regarding council and police never mind the safety issue.Dont have a tester so it's a call to the dealer in the morning.Thanks everyone and I'll post  the outcome

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Do your reversing lights work? They share a common ground with the brake lights.
The reverse do work.Realy doing my head in .Calling the dealer in the morn.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Not suprised it's a good one.

I dont want you to feel insulted at this next question! But are you really sure you replaced the brake light bulbs - they possibly aren't where you think they are in the cluster. You know they are double element 21/5W? (If my memory servers correctly).

My recollection is that it would be really easy to replace the rear fog light bulbs (single element 21W) thinking you had done the brake lights.....

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Not suprised it's a good one.

I dint want you to feel insulted at this next question! But are you really sure you replaced the brake light bulbs - they possibly aren't where you think they are in the cluster. You know they are double element 21/5W? (If my memory servers correctly).

My recollection is that it would be really easy to replace the rear fog light bulbs (single element 21W) thinking you had done the brake lights.....
Not insulted in the slightest, glad that people take the time for suggestions. :goodjob:
The bulbs were replaced 1 at a time with like for like,know the guy in the motor factor quite well, while we were doing it both of us thought there was more to this than bulbs.Just like checking the fuse why would the highline still work.Had to be done though just for peace of mind and elimination purposes.Yes they were double element and worked perfectly in his tester.So did the ones i took out.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you know how long this has been like this?

Just try to eliminate actions which may have contributed to the non functioning

!!!From day 1!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Do you know how long this has been like this?

Just try to eliminate actions which may have contributed to the non functioning

!!!From day 1!
Very recent, Coulegue informed me friday evening what was happening with the brake lights.Went to factor saturday and changed bulbs.Disconneced the battery then as well(be it just for a short perios).Disconnected the battery today for over hour.Nothing i know of recently i could point to as being a contributing factor.meter, radio ,were all done a while ago and have had taxi test and spot checks since then.Im sure someone else would also have noticed if it had happend a while ago.
Thanks

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If you turn the headlights on do the 5w fillaments in the brake bulbs come on?

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
If you turn the headlights on do the 5w fillaments in the brake bulbs come on?
Sorry about the ignorance on my part  but if that means do the tail light part of the bulbs still work then yes they do

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Ok, so it's not going to be a ground/earthing fault.

I think everything would point to a wiring fault in proximity to where the wires run through the grommet in the top of the tailgate. But as Hyundai don't seem to want me reading their wiring diagrams that's as good a guess as I can have  :evil:

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear
Ok, so it's not going to be a ground/earthing fault.

I think everything would point to a wiring fault in proximity to where the wires run through the grommet in the top of the tailgate. But as Hyundai don't seem to want me reading their wiring diagrams that's as good a guess as I can have  :evil:

Cheers
I'm going to phone the dealers in the morning.Will let you know how i get on.I don't expect them to rush this though.My experience with main dealers is if you didn't buy the car from them personally,back of the queue you go.Its even worse when they find out it was bought from a taxi dealership that can sell Hyundai's a fair bit cheaper than themselves.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Dealers are a bit luck-of-the draw, but as far as warranty work is concerned that will no doubt treat you like anyone else (heh). Hyundai pay them for the work, so it's all revenue for the dealer.

Offline copycats

• 2nd Gear

Dealers are a bit luck-of-the draw, but as far as warranty work is concerned that will no doubt treat you like anyone else (heh). Hyundai pay them for the work, so it's all revenue for the dealer.

I'll tell you a wee story regarding this, which changed my mind forever regarding warranty work and them getting paid for it anyway.

When Skoda first introduced the octavia to the market they were getting snapped up as soon as they became avalable .2 reasons, the price and the unlimited milage warranty, yes even if you did taxi it.Quite clever by Skoda realy, as it became one of the most seen cars on the road as taxi drivers everywhere had one.Enabled them to get rid of the almost laughable reputation they once had.
The first batch of sdi's blew a seal on the gearbox after about 120 k miles .Co incidently me and a mates went on the same day ,incredible but true.His was purchased from the dealer mine wasn't. Guess who got his replaced and was back working within 24 hrs , guess who had to wait a week as a new box was "trying to be sourced"
Still wont talk ill of the good old octavia though.They sorted  the gearbox problem and to this day they still produce a car that in my eyes is bullet proof mechanically.
Why did I jump ship? Price of them has rocketed,warranty has all but diminished.Getting a wee bit older now and looking for a bit more comfort

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal