i30 Owners Club

MY11, built 2010?

hornbill · 55 · 14077

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• CW SLX 2.0 Auto Petrol Hyper Silver
Checked my car status earlier. Dealer said it's in the showroom already:-) He said it's the latest MY2011 but built compliance 2010, but has all the latest announced MY11 feature upgrades.

It's just like that for most imported cars due to shipment he said. Same for other imported cars. MY11 built 2011 won't be in at least in few mths time he said.

Is this correct and normal?

Also, researched and got few more quotes for paint protection and tinting today. I know some here would say paint protection is a rip off but the justification kind of made sense to me.

$395 for paint protection (lowest quote I got so far), 5 yrs warranty then re-apply for the same price. I'd love to try do it myself but time is not on my side and I'm not handy enough. They'll wash, shampoo, rinse the car 1st before applying Toughseal. Tinting is $295 by Tint Professor. All for $690.

Any comments welcome. I'm still open for ideas. Car wouldn't be here till next week anyway...

Cheers.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hi Hornbill,

I too have a MY11 with a 2010 build date.  It isn't unusual.  I have all of the MY11 specs except for the factory bluetooth (I got dealer installed bluetooth instead).  Remember that the MY11 is just the model number.  The US have the next years model come out in the middle of the year prior (eg. the 2012 models will be released soon).

The dealer is right about 2011 built cars not being in the showroom for a couple of months.  Just think about it.  They have to build it, wait for shipping to the docks, wait at the dock until there is a ship going to where it needs to go which could be months (maybe via another location ie. Singapore), wait at the intermediate location, on the ship again to the arrival port in Australia, unload, clear customs, wait for compliance check, wait in the holding yard until transport to the dealers state, wait until there is transport to the dealer, and then, Ta Dah!!, your car is ready for you.  As good as sea freight is, it isn't fast!!  You are looking at least a month at sea (that's Korea to Australia direct), up to two months if it takes a intermediate location.

My car was built May 10, but has a compliance plate of 01/11.  So it was in transport from May 10 until January 11, for a February delivery to me.  Still, it only had 13kms on it when I picked it up.

FatBoy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As long as the compliance is 2011 the dealer will consider it a 2011 model when you go to trade which could mean an extra 1000 or more if you trade it in a couple of years time (If you keep it five years then whether it is 2010 or 2011 will make very little difference)

By now the more popular models should all have 2011 compliance otherwise expect a discount for a 2010 model (IMO)

Hornbill, as far as the tinting and paint protection goes.. After what you have said I reckon $690 all up is a good deal (Go for it)  :goodjob:

Down here we paid $395 for just the Tinting on the wife's CW.. and I have heard dealers quoting around $1000 for paint and upholstery protection  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd be a little concerned about the build date of your car as it doesn't take long to ship a car over to Oz. For example, I picked up my MY10 SLX in March last year...build date was February.

Perhaps it didn't just come off the boat but came from another dealer?  :-\

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
G'day Rusty,

Just rechecked the dates on the car.  On the placard on the "B" pillar it says Build Date May 10, and the compliance plate on the "A" pillar it says 1/11. 

I was a bit concerned when I first saw it, but my old Jackaroo (built in Japan) has similar dates, with about  8 months difference from build date to compliance date.

I wonder how many other people have similar dates, or whether I am on the outside of timeframes and Rusty's time frame is more realistic.

Any other large differences out there?

FatBoy

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I purchased my cw in Jan 11, It was built July10 and compliance plate is nov 10. but I knew it was a 2010 model.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

May to Jan is a long time between Build and compliance :eek: Trish's was 4 months but mine was only a month or two at the most on my 2008 CRDi Jan 08 build /Feb 08 Compliance (I think) and we bought it in March 08

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 my car b2/09 and c3/09 the wifes cw b5/09 and c6/09.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks all for your response so far. When I placed the order last Sat, I only get to test drove an i30 hatchback. They didn't have a wagon version available that day. So I signed the deal by I put one condition on the paper saying "subject to test driving an i30cw next weekend." Which is this Sat.

Good news is (according to the dealer), the i30cw I'll be test driving this Sat will be the car I ordered, as it's already in the showroom. Also told him not to allow anyone else to touch it, especially test driving it.

What I plan to do is to check the built and compliance plates in all corners BEFORE test driving it. Let say I find (for some strange reason) that the compliance plate is say not a 2011 one or something is amiss, can I haggle further with the dealer? 

So legally speaking, Can I exercise the special condition I put in last Sat and possibly walk away from the deal because I haven't and did not test drive an i30cw this weekend?

I don't want to make it difficult for the dealer (and the sales person is a nice guy), but if I have to and if I felt that I've been "tricked" somehow, I might just have to do it.

What do you think of my approach?

On paint protection & tinting, I think I'll just go with my current lowest quotes. Thanks  Dazz for your input on that.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd definitely not test drive the CW (if at all) until after you've checked out the build & compliance dates. 

Not sure I'd be wanting to purchase that particular car anyhow, because, If you have taken it for a test drive, then surely it's now a demonstration model and should now be priced accordingly?  :-\

Oh, and all car salesmen are nice, well, if they are any good at their job, anyhow....  :winker:

Don't get sucked in by them, most would sell their grandmother given half a chance... :lol:

Just my opinion..... :)

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks rusty. You're funny.  I actually got 3 other quotes before I walked into the showroom. The fact that his quote is the lowest (but not much less) than the other 3 AND he did not use any pressure selling tactics on me - I decided to seal the deal, albeit with the small special condition.

We'll see how it goes this Sat. Should be interesting.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Worth having a quick read of the following.....Note what they say about the build date...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=36752

http://www.keys2drive.com.au/guide/buying_a_car/buying_a_new_car.aspx

Don't let a salesman tell you otherwise, the build date will be the all important date when it comes trading in time. If you have a car with the build date from last year, you can expect your trade in evaluation to be less than one built the same year as when you purchased the vehicle.

Did you tell the salesman your previous quotes? If you did then he knew that all he needed to do was beat your previous lowest quote so really, he didn't need to use pressure selling tactics.... :winker:

Anyhow, fingers crossed for you that you come away on Saturday with a deal and car you're happy with.... :goodjob:

Cheers  :)

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks rusty for the tips. I'll check all dates come Sat. I'm actually planning to keep the car for as looong as I could - for as long as it is still affordable to operate.

Maybe if the family size increases significantly in the future, I might consider upgrading, but chances for that happening is quite slim...

No, I did not tell him my previous quotes. I just negotiate based on the price that I want (which is lower than my previous quote) and reward him for his work if he can meet it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No matter what those links or Rusty say if the compliance is 2011 i would feel happy (especially if you are going to keep the car a while)

Hope you seal the deal this weekend (they are a great car...)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
When I traded the Tiida in on my cw it was compliance plate the the salesman was interested in not the built date. That's what they based my trade in price on.

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks guys. I have asked the dealer to confirm the compliance date again. Yep, I agree it's a great car. Let's hope there's no surprises that would stop me from owning it or avoid Hyundai altogether.

I really don't want to go into that research mode again...:-(

Will keep you posted.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Thanks guys. I have asked the dealer to confirm the compliance date again. Yep, I agree it's a great car. Let's hope there's no surprises that would stop me from owning it or avoid Hyundai altogether.

I really don't want to go into that research mode again...:-(

Will keep you posted.
:sweating: :scared:

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Got verbal confirmation that the car is Oct 10 built BUT Dec 10 compliance... :mad: He said only Trophy has 11 compliance because they're released a bit later than my SLX.  So far I found 2 members here with a 1/11 compliance.

He said should not make much diff when come time to sell as it's still a MY11 model. I asked the dealer to look for newer model in stock same time.

Any comments? Do you agree with the dealer? I might just not start the engine tomorrow, else it'll be considered SOLD. Maybe I just start calling few other HY dealers just to confirm the facts...

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
G'day Hornbill,

I would tell them that you know of people with 1/11 Compliance vehicles (mine is one, and it is an SLX) so stop b********ing you or he won't get the sale.  As others have said, some will sell their own Grandmothers if there was a commission in it for them.

Just a question, have you signed any contracts yet? Or is it all just verbal agreement at the moment?  If you have signed a contract, read the fine print to see if you can get out of it.  It is a contract and can't normally be broken.  This does go both ways though, my mother's friend traded in her Subaru a while back, and the car dealer wrote down the trade value as $31,000, not $13,000.  She got legal advice and was told that it was a legally binding contract.  I laughed with the car dealer said to her, "I don't know how you can sleep at night."  She was pretty happy with the $18,000 in her favour!!!  I think she sleeps pretty well!!!

Just my two cents worth.

FatBoy

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Hi FatBoy,

Thanks. Because I didn't get to drive a wagon last week (only managed to test drive the i30 hatchback), I put a special condition saying " Subject to test drive on I30 wagon on Saturday next week." Which is tomorrow. I wasn't thinking much about the built/compliance dates last Sat, just that I want to know how it feels like driving the real thing.

Dealer is trying to look for newer stock for me as we speak. Have since contacted another dealer (close to my home) and said he might even be able to get a real 2011 ones and give me a better deal, but no guarantee he can give me the same or better trade-in value though as he need to see the car 1st. So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma now.

Maybe I should just pull out, forget the whole thing, stay away from car research for a while and cool down...before I start over.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hang in there Hornbill..

Did you pay a deposit?.. If you didn't you are in a commanding position.. Tell them if they can find a 2011 compliance plate on a colour that you like and match the original changeover you will definitely proceed (I can assure you the CW drives as well if not better than the hatch) ...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thanks Dazz. I did further research earlier to get a bit more understanding of the matter. I will put the matter to rest tonight, have a good sleep, and ready for tomorrow.

HY dealers - why are you up so late? Go to sleep and we'll chat tomorrow!

Wish me luck tomorrow and watch this space...good nite.

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Good luck, hope everything goes well  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz. I did further research earlier to get a bit more understanding of the matter. I will put the matter to rest tonight, have a good sleep, and ready for tomorrow.

HY dealers - why are you up so late? Go to sleep and we'll chat tomorrow!

Wish me luck tomorrow and watch this space...good nite.

I'm watching... :confused: :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Maybe he liked it that much he never came back from the test drive?  :P

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Offline hornbill

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep..I did went to do some HY work yesterday with the dealer(s), and today was busy browsing stuffs at the Baby & Toddler Show..

No, I did not forget about the update I owe you...

No, I wasn't busy taking pics of any HY...but did take some baby stuffs at the show today... :)

And No, I didn't like it that much but did went for a test drive.. :wink:

Wish I can give you a final answer, but I just can't at the mo. It's a work-in-progress deal and should be finalised tomorrow - on paper.

One more sleep and hopefully once the paper is finalised tomorrow, you will get an update.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal