i30 Owners Club

Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 88295

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Well, the car's done nearly 300 miles now, so here are the fuel consumption stats so far -

2.0litre diesel - mainly urban driving - 45mpg = 6.42l/100km (I think!).

I must say that this week I tried to be as economical as possible (got it  from 41mpg to 45mpg [6.89 to 6.42])and I've set myself a target of 50mpg (5.65l/100km). Not sure if that will be possible because I do plenty of urban driving and the official figures for this model are 54mpg, I think.

Hopefully as the engine settles down a bit the figures may improve ever so slightly, but anyway I'm happy, as normally I'm used to 19mpg (14.87l/100km).

Don't think I'll be trying Thumper's 'turbo pipe removal' trick, as I don't know enough about these things to risk it.

If you're in the UK, here's a good website to convert from mpg to l/100km - http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Goodonya 130manUK for going to the trouble of converting for us convicts.. 8-)

Seems pretty impressive for a 2 litre (overall are you happy with your performance and driveability considering how sporty your other ride is?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Seems pretty impressive for a 2 litre (overall are you happy with your performance and driveability considering how sporty your other ride is?)

As my wife likes to walk to work I use the i30 as my daily driver now and I'm very happy with it so far. You can drive it very frugally, as I'm doing currently, but it also has enough poke to keep you awake when the boredom sets in and the eyelids start to drop. To answer your question, the fuel consumption is excellent, it's very comfortable, the ride is quite a good compromise, the steering is easy peasy and it has many of the gadgets I need (parrot bluetooth is my first 'gadget target'). The gearshift is OK, but nothing like as good as the 350Z's. To be totally honest, I feel a bit like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde because I keep having to sneak into the Z for a bit of an adrenalin rush - nothing will ever stop me loving the Z (it's my 2nd one), but the i30 is proving to be a very good purchase.  :twisted:

50mpg here I come! (may take a while to get there, as I was quite heavy on the throttle for the first week or two, until the new pervy style of driving took over).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
[quote="i30manUK] 50mpg here I come! (may take a while to get there, as I was quite heavy on the throttle for the first week or two, until the new pervy style of driving took over).[/quote]

I'm averaging 53 to 55 mpg around town.  Doesnot seem to go below high 40's.

I even had 167.3 mpg!!!! see viewtopic.php?f=12&t=410

I find that my driving style has changed since owning the diesel. I stroke the throttle rather than push as I did with petrol car.

The pick up smooth and proactive. In fact I have to keep looking at speedo as it gets to 30 plus without any effort and I have to rein it in.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye...

i30manUK has the 2.0 litre diesel so that's why he's a bit behind you in the economy stakes...

............................................................................... ................................................

I30manUK..

Thanks for the reply..

I'm a Nissan man from way back (May have bought a 200SX  if they hadn't stopped importing them over here) Had 6 Nissans and driven many more including 200sx and 350Z so can understand where you're coming from!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hi Eye...

i30manUK has the 2.0 litre diesel so that's why he's a bit behind you in the economy stakes....

Quote fro i30manuk
"2.0 litre diesel - mainly urban driving - 45mpg = 6.42l/100km (I think!)"

I was aware he had a 2l. I was trying to show that you can get near to the figures quoted by the manufacturer.
Hy  give the following for 2l
urban 7.2l/100km  39.2 mpg
combined 5.5l/100km  51.36 mpg

So on the basis I'm getting 10 mpg less than quoted, i30manUK would expect about for 41mpg.

He has calculated 45 mpg so he is doing exceptionally well and achieving 50 mpg is a goal worth going for.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry Eye wasn't trying to make out you were dumb (You laugh at my jokes so I'd never do that  8-)  )

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Sorry Eye wasn't trying to make out you were dumb

You must be getting me mixed up with my brother!!!

He says he is the sensible one and drives a Peugot but has had loads of agro with the dealer.

He likes my i30 and I'm trying to convert him.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Peugeot seem like nice cars ... but friend has one and they are extra dear to service (even if you just buy the parts and use an independent)

Offline Alesand

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "Seoul-mate"
a 2008 Holden Barina 1.6L petrol, but no free fuel with that one!! Gives about 6L/100km and she is very happy with it. ( Of course it is also a Korean car .......a re-badged Daewoo Kalos).

:D Badge-engineering! In Sweden the Daewoo now is a Chevrolet!

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "i30manUK"
I'm up to 46mpg (6.14l/100km) now  8-)

*shudders*

I'm returning a very healthy 59mpg over the 7300 miles I've covered. Vey pleasing I must say
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My average is 52.5

well pleased as I do 90% town and 10% motorway

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got an even 5.0 average today for a 350km round trip with two up and a bit of other gear. Wasn't racing but kept a good steady pace (probably half of the 350km sitting on 110km speed limit)

Wasn't a warm day but probably averaged 12c to 14c outside most of the time (under 10c seems to be when the consumption goes up)..

Been averaging 5.4 most of the time lately so don't know if it's running in (about 8400km up now) or maybe the nice thin 5w30 Castrol Edge Sport I just put in.... :D

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

• First Lesson. Stick em with the pointy end.
country trip:
 - average speed 90km/h  - 4.3l/100km
 - average speed 120km/h - 4.7l/100km
 - average speed 145km/h - 5.5l/100km
That's showing my board pc

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dani...

145KPH... are you naughty  :shock:

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Woops .. That will teach me to be cheeky .. Dani is a Girls name over here (I'll delete that post!) :oops:

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

n.p.
My name is Danail, but everybody call me "dani".

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Your Signature and Avatar tricked me too..

Mostly women are "wary of love"... he says philosophically...

Sorry again for the misunderstanding...

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I wonder if there are any women on this forum  :?:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Jessi used to be on this forum (until she got peeved with the dealer and bought a golf)  :oops:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Ahem, getting back on topic... :P
Filled to the brim tonight after 1089.6 km - 54.76 litres for 5.03 lt/100km

For our foreigh friends, 56.16 uk mpg and 46.47 us mpg

Driving to Qld in a few weeks, no reason why I cant approach 1200km to a tank if I behave myself

ouri30
That's fantastic ozsmowman.  The more I drive ouri30, the more I like the fuel economy.  It's always a challenge to get the most from a tank.

Enjoy your Qld trip.  A month or so ago I got 4.9l/100 on a 4000+km round trip to Qld and return, with luggage and four of us in the car.  While we were careful in the way we drove, we sat on the speed limit most of the time.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Snowman, like Bob said enjoy your trip m8!
also like Bob i have found if you drive on the speed limit's 100kph 110kph or 10% over to allow for the fast speedo, and if you keep your revs to 2,000 b4 shift up's and only rev past 2,000 in 5th gear you can get 4.9 easy enough ( surprised me a few times that i got 4.9 the way i drove ) but if you really want good economy sit on 90KPH all the way i  or the best economy watch you tach and keep the rev @ 1,900. i got 4.4L / 100K doing that. also i have driven all week with my tyre's at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear like THUMPER and no problem with the ride i like the steering feel better too, so try that but check and set tyre pressure cold.
i'm just about to leave to take my car to have the Thumper system fitted, i think this will help my economy when i drive on speed limitds of 110kph, but will wait and see.
anyway have a great trip its a good road from Vic up to Qld straight up to Syd then take the M7 then the M2 but you won't know as they seem like the one road just you get two tolls ( it hooks up to the M5 ) take the pennant hills exit from the M2 turn left just follow that for about 10k's and you get to the F3 then it's freeway ( please note freeway mean's free no charge :D ) then take the coast road up as it's by far the best way now watch those fixed speed cameras m8!
have fun

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
At 110km/h when it's warm, I can average around 4.5lt/100km
At 90km/h when it's warm I can average between 3.2lt/100km and 4.0lt/100km (Depending on the terrain)

When it's cold (Below 8 degrees C) and on the highway, I average around 4.9lt/100km. (This is when I fit the intercooler cover and watch the economy drop back to around 4.5lt/100km)

Before I did the exhaust, best I could do in the cold and on the highway (110km/h) was 5.1-5.2lt/100km.

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
You're kidding if the coast road is the best way to Qld.. too many speed cameras, too many towns, too many tourists, too many stops.. uhhhggg... take the New England Hwy, via Singleton, straight to Tamworth and up to Stanthorpe (Gods Country) and then to Brisbane, I do this road several times a year and also the coast road (reluctantly) several times a year and I know which way I'd rather go.. If it wasn't for the NSW RTA wasting our money on 50km/hr Speed Cameras at the start of every one horse town then New England would be a dream run like it was 20 yrs ago..but still better than fighting traffic all the way..

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Update on my 2.0 diesel -

Last week, when I got it to 47mpg I thought I'd reset the computer and see how I do with my new economical style of driving...

After a few journeys in mainly town traffic I'm delighted to report that the engine has returned a figure of 51mpg (5.54l/100km). This is even better than the official Hyundai stats suggest (in fact 51mpg is the official figure for mixed urban and non-urban driving) so I'm really happy, look - - -  :D  :D

ouri30
i30manUK,

That fuel economy is looking good for you.  And I'd bet, the more you drive the better it will get as the engine settles in and you get the hang of driving a torguey (probably not a word) diesel.

foxey,

I agree with you about the best highway to use driving through to Qld.  The Newel or New England highways are the best way to go.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal