Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 89598

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hi Snowman,

Pays to try and use the same pump too. Two reasons, some pumps click off earlier than others and also some garage driveways slope differently to others...

Yep I do that as much as possible...lucky pump 13 :D So this may be my last post for a little while!:)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hi Snowman,

Pays to try and use the same pump too. Two reasons, some pumps click off earlier than others and also some garage driveways slope differently to others...

Yep I do that as much as possible...lucky pump 13 :D So this may be my last post for a little while!:)

Hope you are enjoying your trip Snowman, don't melt in that Queensland sun m8 ;) and lets know how it all went.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Hi form Qld all!

Well, so far - have only filled Wiggy twice, with well over 2000km done so far. 48 litres from Shepparton to Newcastle driving through rain snow and Sydney traffic!! From newcastle to surfers and around for a week, and filled up at 1040 just because I was going to Brissy for the day - and it took 45 litres. (and that included some seriously agro driving after being held up after Taree by Pacific hwy roadworks....got to Coffs Harbour with 2 mins to spare at reception lol)

Looking good - will check in again next week!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Snowman that's fantastic economy m8! sorry about roadwork's.

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
I'm going to Greece this evening ... 1600km home-beach-home ... we'll see  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Snowman.....Sounds good m8 (as Lakes would say) ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi yggy, Sounds like a great trip coming up there!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Filled all the way to the top at Yass (NSW), drove down to Wagga, 15,000km service done, drove back to Yass and filled up again all the way to the top, same pump, same day. (Yass is the nearest service station/town to me)

370.2km traveled.
3.9lt/100km shown on trip computer
10lt used.

Works out to be 3.7lt/100km

Who said a free flowing exhaust doesn't do anything?  :lol:

(Adding to this, ambient temp never got above 7 degrees C, and I had rain for 75% of the trip)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Well tallied up my trip so far - from Shepparton to Rockhampton via Newcastle and Surfers for 2978km - I put in 169.14 litres in that time to cover that distance! Pretty damn happy with that :) Fuel has been pretty consistent price too

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Thumper"
Filled all the way to the top at Yass (NSW), drove down to Wagga, 15,000km service done, drove back to Yass and filled up again all the way to the top, same pump, same day. (Yass is the nearest service station/town to me)

370.2km traveled.
3.9lt/100km shown on trip computer
10lt used.

Works out to be 3.7lt/100km

Who said a free flowing exhaust doesn't do anything?  ;) , thats a good road down there, i know it gets freezing too. the roads i've been useing are harder to get good economy on but i'm happy with economy.

hey Ozsnowman looks like you are enjoying useing the power :D  how much are they selling diesel for up QLD?

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "Thumper"
Filled all the way to the top at Yass (NSW

(Adding to this, ambient temp never got above 7 degrees C, and I had rain for 75% of the trip)

Geez, thumps, when I came through Yass 2 weeks ago I had snow :D  how much are they selling diesel for up QLD?[/quote]

Umm, yeah there was a bit of hooning around Surfers in traffic - was quite fun lol. But still used very little fuel! Last time up there I was in my VT and hooning around Surfers in that got my consumption up to 14l/100km!!! Most of my highway running has also been at 110-120, so wasn't going for outright economy  :lol:

Diesel in Surfers was as low as 158.9 but as I only use BP the cheapest was 161.9 - even way up here in Rockhampton its still only 165.9 - considering I paid 177.9 on that first day in Shepparton!

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Whoops, realised I had not tallied my fuel right -for the 2978km I have only put in 148.74 litres (realised I was counting what I put in at Shepparton, when I shouldnt have!

Average usage so far - 4.99 l/100km's!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"hooning"

I like that word - it's new to me  :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For some reason lately (since I got the new exhaust) I have stopped feathering the accelerator so much and tend to let the rev counter dance a bit more  8-)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Update on prices - 162.9 @ Yeppoon and 160.9 at Goondiwindi - loving these low prices! Yep to Goo was a high speed run, running over 120km/h most of the day and returned 5.25 l/100km. Yesterday was great - running down the Newell was great - 120km/h to 160km/h :)

Found out when overtaking the car seems to pick up a bit as the speed goes through 120km/h, I figure im hitting the power band finally. Quite often I looked down and the car was sitting comfortably on 140km/h having drifted up as i was going down the road. The road was quite empty, but others cars etc were also sitting on these speeds lol. Wanted to go faster but lost nerve finally!

ouri30
ozsnowman,

I was up in Qld last week.  Drove south from Toowoomba - Goondi then down the Newell on Monday.  Found that when doing 120 it was closer to 113kph - that damn speedo.  We use the GPS and the ScanGuage as they give more accurate speeds.

We averaged 5.0 LPH for the trip from SA to Qld and return.  We sat around the speed limit for most of the trip.

Loved those lower Qld fuel prices, but only got to fill up once (in Toowoomba).  That car only needs filling up about every 1000-1100 km - no complaints about that.

Bob

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "ouri30"
I was up in Qld last week.  Drove south from Toowoomba - Goondi then down the Newell on Monday.  Found that when doing 120 it was closer to 113kph - that damn speedo.  We use the GPS and the ScanGuage as they give more accurate speeds.

Yeah I've found before its about the same for me, so I was quite happy sitting on 120 at least all day

We averaged 5.0 LPH for the trip from SA to Qld and return.  We sat around the speed limit for most of the trip.

Loved those lower Qld fuel prices, but only got to fill up once (in Toowoomba).  That car only needs filling up about every 1000-1100 km - no complaints about that.

Bob
I've just averaged mine out from first to last fill. 5181km, 260.67 litres for a total of 5.03l/100km. I didnt need to fill up at Goondwinidi but I did because the fuel there was only 160.9! Get it while I could. Refuelled on way home today at Jerilderie (166.0 - very reasonable) - if I hadnt done the whole 140-160km/h stint yesterday I would have had enough to get over the border! Almost covered the whole of NSW in one tank  :) Couldnt have asked for a better car - just maybe a slightly more comfy drivers seat (lower back support dug into me after a while and it could have gone back another notch, but you adjust after a while - slouching helps a bit)

A bit odd though that this last tank was a high speed run and the fuel average was 5.13, better than the last one at 5.25 odd - must have been city driving @ Rockhamptoon and some hills on the trip back

Offline Phil

• 1st Gear
I regularly travel between two WA country towns and have about 10 ks of flat road to test things like fuel economy. By selecting fifth and using the excellent aftermarket autopilot to maintain 70 kh/h (which is about 1500 rpm, the lowest you can do without problems) I have seen 3.5 l/100 km over that stretch of road. That's lovely, but I have no intention of spending most of my life getting from Point A to Point B. Unless the price of diesel suggests otherwise, I intend to cruise at about 100-110 and enjoy life at the other end. If the ambient is up around 20 plus, I seem to get around 4.6 to 4.8 at that speed on a constant throttle anyway, so I'm pretty happy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the club.. thanks for your input (another W.A. i30...) They are popular over there.. :D

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
ozsnowman,
  Found that when doing 120 it was closer to 113kph - that damn speedo.  We use the GPS and the ScanGuage as they give more accurate speeds.

I might have missed reading something, but is the speedo not accurate on the i30?

ouri30
camerooney,

You bet your sweet bippy it's not.  It's out by around 5-7% (registers over the actual speed.  

This is not uncommon with cars these days.  Yet the interesting thing is the port that the ScanGuage uses (under the dash) gives accurate speed information.  Makes you wonder.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Bob,

Like you, I have found that the speed on the speedo is always about 5% higher than that displyed on my GPS.
I was thinking, do you think that maybe the manafacturers do this deliberatley as a kind of disclaimer? If the speedo read less than the speed you were traveling, than maybe this would open the door for people to try and sue the manafacturer over speeding tickets.
Sounds a bit far fetched...granted...but I love a good conspiracy storey.

ouri30
Eyma,

I think you are correct.  I have read somewhere that the Oz standards state that a speedo can be up to 10% out but are not to register under the actual speed, hence manufacturers are forced to err on the safe side.

My brother-in-law has a Yaris and he queried his speedowith the dealer. They plugged in a speed sensor (under the dash) and took it for a drive and came back saying the speedo was within the allowable limits.

Bob

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Thanks for the info Bob.
First I had heard of it to be honest with you.
 :)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Just filled up, 60.44lt  :lol:  :lol:

*Picks self up off the ground*

Ok, didn't know my tank was that big. (And yes, no matter what servo I go to, it's always around 56lt-60lt to fill)

1360km traveled
60.44lt
4.44lt/100 km

(Trip computer shows 4.7lt/100km)

I guess the motor is freeing up a bit more (17,000km on it now)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper,  

Mate....You must have been running on empty!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Thumper,  

Mate....You must have been running on empty!!
I'd ask to see the calibration report on that bowser, I would.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check the boot and tank for leaks to make sure none spilled over  :D
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well I was 20 km outside Tarago (East side) when the fuel light came on. Drove to Goulburn, then down to Yass, before filling up. (Caltex on the main highway)

Roughly 140km with the light on. (About 60km with the - - - flashing)

It's all good.   :?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think the most i've got in the tank is 57Lt but i only went about 50 or 60K with the light on. i remember my nephew runing out of diesel last year in his new Nissan Navara diesel, took us a long time to start it but it self primed did not need to bleed it, & pushing on the button on top of the fuel filter did not seem to help. Nissan told him to get car on level ground as it was parked on a slope. should drain the tank then fill up to see just what they hold.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal