i30 Owners Club

Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 89610

Offline dani

• 2nd Gear

• bg Bulgaria
      Sofia

• First Lesson. Stick em with the pointy end.
After tour: Sofia (Bulgaria) - Sani (Greece) and back
1086km with 52 liters (full tank to top + 110km Bord Computer to end reservoir)  :D

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
Quote from: "Thumper"
Well I was 20 km outside Tarago (East side) when the fuel light came on. Drove to Goulburn, then down to Yass, before filling up. (Caltex on the main highway)

Roughly 140km with the light on. (About 60km with the - - - flashing)

It's all good.   :?

Hi Thumper,
Looks like they have more in reserve than we think, probably to stop people running out!
I am not going to bank on mine doing 140km with the light on!

Haven't filled up yet, its done 850 kms and is on 1/4 full still.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I was not trying for economy this weekend, i was driving fast i have 750k with gauge the high side of halfway, if i drove all country i'm sure 1,200 easy, but rest of the tank will be in sydney so should get 1,100k from the tank. was interesting to note a BP out west had unlead @ $1.62.9 and Diesel @ $1.75.9 , but the BP here in Sydney i filled up @ friday had unlead @ $1.62.9 & diesel @ $1.66.9 maybe the BP out west was selling the 10% eth? the $1.62.9 was for normal 91 octain unlead not the 10% thats a few cents less, interesting the 95 octain unlead like you buy in europe at the same servo was selling @ $1.70.9 the 98 ultimate was $1.74.9 ( thats what i use in my ute)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Saw Deisel for the same price today, 166.9. That is as low as i have seen it for some months. ULP was back down to 146.9. Deisel prices dont seem to go through the same highs and lows on the weekly cycle as petrol.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Drove up to Sydney today, then back home tonight.

Temp when I left, 29 degrees c.

Temp when I drove back, 16 degrees c.

4.0lt/100km all the way up (Sitting on 110km/h)

4.3lt/100km all the way back (Sitting on 110km/h)

650km round trip.

Fuel gauge sitting on 3/4 tank.

Bring on Summer!  :twisted:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Thumper,

Excellent fuel economy, particularley as you were sitting on the speed limit.
How much difference do you think it makes travelling light/heavy? When i go away its usually with the whole family and luggage and i struggle to get much better than about 5.0L/p100.

Offline pedro

• 2nd Gear
Im averaging 800 to 900 per tank at the moment, but we do live in the hills so with 7-10 days up and down the hill i think 1000 + kms on the hway will be easy, mind you its always only 44-48 ltrs that i can get in. Cars about 7000kms old now.
Got a question if any one can help, the --- flashing? sometimes mine flashes the lines and other times they stay solid and the little pic of a fuel pump flashes instead. Cant seem to find a reason why they seem to randomly pic one or the other to flash?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Pedro,

I cant say I have noticed the pic of the fuel pump flash, but certainly noticed the --- flash many times. As for only getting 44-48 litres in the tank at a time, i would say that maybe there is more left in your tank than you think. Maybe this is why your not getting more than 900klm to a tank, although as you live in the hills as you say, this is still excellent economy.
Have you tried gradually topping the tank up, stop...start...it takes patients, untill you can see the fuel and it will take no more. Many on this site use this method, myself included and get upto 50-58L in the tank at a time, which in turn means getting furter to a tank

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
First tank,
light came on at 985 kms, filled at 1007 kms. It was way above empty when light came one.
Took 44 litres to first click (if this is where the dealership filled to then its 4.37 l/100 km).
Slowly kept going another few minutes, managed to get 48 litres in. In the unlikely event that the dealer filled it that full, its 4.77 l/100 kms.
I was told to go at all different speeds to run it in, so did more city driving than normal, also did some in fourth gear at over 100 kms hour. Some deliberately, and a few times it was so quiet I forgot to change! I will usually get better than this, especially once its run in.
I think over 1400 kms is possible once its run in, if my tank is as big as the one that gets over 60 lites in!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "pedro"
Got a question if any one can help, the --- flashing? sometimes mine flashes the lines and other times they stay solid and the little pic of a fuel pump flashes instead. Cant seem to find a reason why they seem to randomly pic one or the other to flash?

Gawd, I thought I was going nuts when, before I noticed the --- flashing, yet the other day, the --- was solid and the fuel pump was flashing when you get below the 50km left stage.

*Scratches head*

Might pay to ask Hyundai. (Though, before the 15,000km service, the --- flashed. After the 15,000km service the fuel pump now flashes.)

Might be a ECU update thing?   :geek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "kinesiologykid"
First tank,
light came on at 985 kms, filled at 1007 kms. It was way above empty when light came one.
Took 44 litres to first click (if this is where the dealership filled to then its 4.37 l/100 km).
Slowly kept going another few minutes, managed to get 48 litres in. In the unlikely event that the dealer filled it that full, its 4.77 l/100 kms.
I was told to go at all different speeds to run it in, so did more city driving than normal, also did some in fourth gear at over 100 kms hour. Some deliberately, and a few times it was so quiet I forgot to change! I will usually get better than this, especially once its run in.
I think over 1400 kms is possible once its run in, if my tank is as big as the one that gets over 60 lites in!

The difference between your fill up and the fill up's that go past the owners book tank size of 53Lt's is. we fill till we see clear fuel not foam. like watch down the filler kneck the foam will go down, you keep doing that till you see liquid not bubbles. it's a bit like pulling a beer :) . the Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel is much easier as does not foam as much.

with the warning light that fuel is low, i have never waited long enough for warning to flash, but on most other cars i have owned, the warning comes on then if you keep going long enough the warning light starts to flash, nothing new or special just the norm.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Lakes, it's not the low fuel warning light that flashes.

It's on the trip gauge, in the middle of your speedo. Select distance to empty, the display will count down how many km's you can go before you run out.

Normally, when the yellow/orange low fuel light comes on, it will show on mine roughly 120-150km left to go.

When it gets down to 50km left, the numeric will disappear and be replaced with ---

Before, the --- would continue to flash on the display.

Now, the picture of the fuel pump above the --- will flash, and the --- will remain static.

This is what's different.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey thumper, sorry m8 miss read.
i don't have that feature on my i30 as it's SX, but my Ute has a trip PC, and i think it's after there is less than 80k distance to emty, no matter what part of the trip PC you are useing every 10k less distance to emty it goes lower, well the trip PC shows the new lower distance till it's emty and it flashs the distance then goes back to what part of the trip PC you were useing b4.
but i got caught out once :lol:  was 10.30pm on a sunday on the M2 not one servo on that motorway, just lucky i had my push bike in the back, had to ride about 20k.

ouri30
Thumper,

I had a 30 000k service a few weeks ago.  Since having the service I have not let the fuel go low enough to experience the flashing _ _ _ or the low fuel warning light.  Will keep an eye on it and let you and others know if I experience the flashing fuel warning light instead of the flashing _ _ _ .

Bob

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Latest fill (After traveling down the coast, driving down then up the Brown Mountain. Driving at the posted speed limit 100km/h AND overtaking trucks, plus being stuck in a snow storm with -1 degree temps)

1,100km travelled.
46.48lt put in, to the neck.
4.22lt/100km actual economy.
4.4lt/100km indicated on trip computer.

Cost of fuel $77.58
Cost per 100km $7.05

This is real world conditions, driving at proper highway speeds, driving up and down hills, with three people and luggage.

4lt/100km is world record material?  :lol:  8-)

Picture from the phone of me stuck in snow (The road had black ice on it, had to drive on the snow on the side of the road to get traction up the slight hill)

OOPPS. Posted in wrong section.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Latest fill (After traveling down the coast, driving down then up the Brown Mountain. Driving at the posted speed limit 100km/h AND overtaking trucks, plus being stuck in a snow storm with -1 degree temps)

1,100km travelled.
46.48lt put in, to the neck.
4.22lt/100km actual economy.
4.4lt/100km indicated on trip computer.

Cost of fuel $77.58
Cost per 100km $7.05

This is real world conditions, driving at proper highway speeds, driving up and down hills, with three people and luggage.

4lt/100km is world record material?  :lol:  8-)

Picture from the phone of me stuck in snow (The road had black ice on it, had to drive on the snow on the side of the road to get traction up the slight hill)

I had to quote the whole text as that is an awesome post. Nice one Thumperino
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
3,000 kms travelled.

4.93 l/100kms.

I do mostly freeway and country driving, but have been up a mountain and on some very winding, hilly country roads.

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Nice figures
:D

I'm getting around the 5.8l to 6.1l range.
I've just clocked up a 1000kms but I mainly do a lot of stop/start driving during the week. The car doesnt get a good run until the weekend. It only takes me 5mins to get into town and park for work...lol

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Well I rekon I'm in the running for WORST economy:

6.9 l/100 averaged over the last 6000kms :evil:

Grrr

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
Quote from: "CRM114"

6.9 l/100 averaged over the last 6000kms :evil:

Grrr

Is yours a manual or automatic?

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Manual, and though I do a lot of short trips;

the Cit returns less than 6l/100 in the same environment. So something's up.

Every-one seems to get less than 6l/100, closer to 5l.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Turbo Diesels prefer to be warm/hot before they start to run economically.

Plus running on a long, steady trip helps.

Cold weather kills economy. (Tried and proven fact with the i30) Though Hyundai Australia say the complete opposite!  :P

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've noticed since the cold weather the past week or so I'm loosing about 5 miles per gallon.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Quote from: "CRM114"

6.9 l/100 averaged over the last 6000kms :P

Which makes me think something may not be quite right (I've only got 1000km's up on mine too!)

Cam

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
Just filled up, 60.44lt  :lol:  :lol:

*Picks self up off the ground*

Ok, didn't know my tank was that big. (And yes, no matter what servo I go to, it's always around 56lt-60lt to fill)

1360km traveled
60.44lt
4.44lt/100 km

(Trip computer shows 4.7lt/100km)

I guess the motor is freeing up a bit more (17,000km on it now)

show us a picture of the ground...  :lol:

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
Wow, Diesel for $1.11!!! Cheap!

Prices around here only just got to $1.10 this week for e10 Petrol... and that's at the dodgier end of independent town.

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
Hold on... that doesn't make sense... perhaps the photo came up funny but 60.44L @ $1.119/L is $67.33 for the tank.

Must be $1.719 per litre... Expensive!!! ;D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal