Surferdude · 325 · 81456

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Trev,

Our bills only show Light and Power(tariff 31) at approx 25c per KW hour  & Hydro Heat (tariff 42) at around 15c per KW hour

I'll scan them in and post it here after work, but I think the Hot Water (electric) is in the Hydro heat part which considering it also includes an 8KW and 3.5KW heat pump is not bad - less than half the total bill even in winter.

We have 2 x 160 Litre HW cylinders (one at each end of the house which are only a bit over 2 Y/O)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It makes sense the water heating would be on the lower tariff.
But it just depends how much that costs you each quarter.

I remembered after I posted that you have two HWS and obviously they're pretty new.
But the solar hot water option is important to consider for anyone who's HWS is a few years old. And there are more and more regulations concerning installation of electric HWS now. You can't fit them in new houses up here any more. It's gotta be gas or Solar and I won't have gas in my house.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here is our bill for the August to November quarter (not bad for 96 days with atleast one of our heat pumps (8kw) on most of the time ..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ouch!  :undecided:

That is actually cheap for two people and assorted grandkids rattling around in a 40 square house with all the mod cons ..

For example we have 5 cordless phones.. Until I put in the Master/Slave powerboards recently you could move around our house at night in the dark just from the glow of all the phones and standby lights... :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think I'll stick with my bill, $6.92 cr, received last week. Must have been sunnier than  thought. :razz:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think I'll stick with my bill, $6.92 cr, received last week. Must have been sunnier than  thought. :razz:

:goodjob:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
I believe that some people have found that when Solar has been installed, all the power is charged at one rate (the high one of course) so they don't have the lower rate for HW.  With small solar systems, this has even resulted in the total bill increasing, with the solar just offsetting the higher HW charge.
Just something to watch out for . . .  .
Good luck.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I believe that some people have found that when Solar has been installed, all the power is charged at one rate (the high one of course) so they don't have the lower rate for HW.  With small solar systems, this has even resulted in the total bill increasing, with the solar just offsetting the higher HW charge.
Just something to watch out for . . .  .
Good luck.

Thanks for the warning..Guess who is ringing Aurora to check.. :goodjob:

Update : all good.. they have promised I will stay on both tariffs (and noted my account accordingly) and also said at this stage no $70 solar connection fee as told to me by one installer  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That seems pretty high Dazz.
Ours average around $400 per quarter.  House might be marginally smaller but 3 full sized addults all the time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We have double glazing and all .. we are as cheap or cheaper than most of our friends and family (obviously Tassie families would use more heating than Qld)

We don't have any gas or wood bills..Piped gas would be cheaper for hot water but the pipeline didn't come up our road  :disapp:

Trish's Daughter with 3 kids under 6 has been getting $1200 a quarter Power bills and one girl at work got a $1500 bill for 1 quarter  :Shocked:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We have double glazing and all .. we are as cheap or cheaper than most of our friends and family (obviously Tassie families would use more heating than Qld)

Trish's Daughter with 3 kids under 6 has been getting $1200 a quarter Power bills and one girl at work got a $1500 bill for 1 quarter  :Shocked:
They're scary figure mate.
Oh. BTW. We may not need heating but we sure as hell use our air con right through summer (and sometimes part of spring). :-[ :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A lot of Taswegians bills would be 50% higher in the Winter than the summer (unless they have a wood heater in which case they could spend between $500 and $1000 for wood over the winter)

We use a few fans but don't need the aircon at home much (Businesses use them more down here)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Just to put in my 2 bob's worth.... we went to solar last year..September so missed out on the big feed in tarrifs, but still have negotiated a 28C / Kw payment with AGL.
 It gets very cold in this house in winter and so when we moved in 5 yrs ago, we tiled downstairs and put in under floor heating whilst we were at it, not expecting the cost of power to rise as it has.... :blubber:
 To run that underfloor heating now costs heaps, but wow   it is so lovely....and necessary, so we opted for a 5 Kw  solar system ( 20 panels)
 Last bill we got a $77 credit and this year we are hoping for better, except that all those "dudes" in Qld keep sending clouds and rain to us as well, so production has certainly been affected. :thanx:

We are hoping to build credits to off set the winter costs... so time will tell. One thing is for sure, the price of power sure is'nt going down.... :eek:

Additionally I scored a heat pump water heater off Ebay for $200, 4 yrs old,,, so with that we have found that it runs for a max of 3 hrs in the afternoon and provides enough hot water for 4 people daily.
 We have it running through a simple timer, so we can set the times when electricity is available to it and then the thermostat does the rest. Man does if get the water HOT... hotter than the off peak!

This next bill I will have a better idea, as the heat pump only went in just before Christmas..!

Anyway... it's an interesting topic... :happydance:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, I bit the bullet.. 10 Panels (nearly 2000 watts) with a 2KW Inverter and it is booked to happen next week and he isn't even wanting a deposit... :happydance:

I met the electrician today and he was a very nice young chap and seemed to answer all my questions honestly..Touch wood  :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Well, I bit the bullet.. 10 Panels (nearly 2000 watts) with a 2KW Inverter and it is booked to happen next week and he isn't even wanting a deposit... :happydance:

I met the electrician today and he was a very nice young chap and seemed to answer all my questions honestly..Touch wood  :confused:

That system would be approx £9,000 installed here in UK
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That system would be approx £9,000 installed here in UK

If I was using a German (say SMA) inverter with 10 years warranty and the very best panels I would be paying probably A$6000-$7000 but have settled on $3100 fully installed.. Time will tell  :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Dazz, I'm a little concerned with the inverter. My little 1.5 kw will easily go to 1.8-1.9 kw when the sun shines and the panels are cool. From memory, our inverter is 2.5 kw rated. Generally, the inverter should be rated higher than the system you're installing. Check with surferdude to see if his is also higher rated too. :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The guy that runs Ultra Greensun down here has apparently been in the industry for more than 25 years but I will do some googling..

I might fit a grill on the top and use it as a 2nd barbeque in the summer  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Here's something very interesting. I wonder if it will ever go into production.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/20782/

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's something very interesting. I wonder if it will ever go into production.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/20782/

I reckon it will sooner or later... :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dazz, I'm a little concerned with the inverter. My little 1.5 kw will easily go to 1.8-1.9 kw when the sun shines and the panels are cool. From memory, our inverter is 2.5 kw rated. Generally, the inverter should be rated higher than the system you're installing. Check with surferdude to see if his is also higher rated too. :neutral:
Yes. The inverter needs to be more than the max power output of the panels. But not too much moe as the higher it's rated output, the higher the generation level needed in the morning to "kick start" the process.
There's an optimum power band which is suitable for each inverter.
You can get a 2.0 kw SMA but unless you are intending to expand the array in the future I wouldn't get the 2.5. Which is the advice I got from all three of the guys who quoted for me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Trev,

I don't intend adding more panels.. The inverter I'm getting is a Growatt 2000 which looks Ok but they are a fairly new company

The panels come to about 100 watts less than the inverter..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You should get a simple instruction manual for the inverter with some specifications, check to see what it's maximum is, maybe the 2kw inverter has an inbuilt capacity to accept higher power for a limited period of time.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here is a link to the Growatt website..

http://www.growatt.com/products_info.asp?pid=30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got our 10 panel 2kw system up and going today .. Aurora still need to come and set us up for our "power buy back" but already getting some "free" power  :happydance:

Trish not impressed with how obvious they look but from the road they look ok to me .. see before and after shots below.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good stuff Dazz.
I don't have a problem with the look of solar panels personally.  I sort of just think they fit into the roofline and anytime I see them I smile at what's happening to my power bill. :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid:  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Trev and Phil ..

One of the reasons I went with a grey roof was to camoflage panels if we got them (was going to do a 3 KW system when we built but someone talked me out of it) The Guy we bought the system off reckons they are a status Symbol  :lol:

There is a tiny house down the road that is about 10 squares and I reckon he has about a 5KW system .. looks bloody awful (think it is what put Trish off the idea)  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good point Dazz.
I'll try to remember to take a pic of my neighbour's system over the road.
It cost him 30 grand. Think it's 5 kw.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal