i30 Owners Club

i30 or i40?

Doggie 1 · 138 · 41074

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I know this has been discussed before, but I went into a Hyundai dealership today to ask when the new i30 would be arriving and he said during the second quarter, between April & June, although they have no information on pricing or specifications yet.
I'm actually a bit interested in the i40 wagon too but in the base model because it seems to be the only one that is available in diesel manual in Australia. Am I right in saying that?
Looking at the specification on the Hyundai website, I probably wouldn't be missing out on too much over what I have in the i30 SLX but would pick up some extra bits & pieces too.
Fog lamps is one thing missing in the Active, chrome-look interior door handles, auto climate control (the main thing) & glovebox cooling (I've never used it).
The economy from the 1.7 6-speed manual is listed as the same as my i30 - 4.7 l/100 kms.
Does anyone on here have any practical experience of the i40?
Still not sure which way to go but as the kms rise on my i30 the value declines........
Dave

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Have you driven one yet Dave? As I said in my test drive thread the driving position and ambience of the cabin is superb  :goodjob: Don't buy a diesel i40 i will be super jealous  :undecided:

The Active is under tired though... If we end up with one in a year or two I would sell the 16" wheels and tyres and look for a 17" wheel and tyre package... :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Have you driven one yet Dave? As I said in my test drive thread the driving position and ambience of the cabin is superb  :goodjob: Don't buy a diesel i40 i will be super jealous  :undecided:

The Active is under tired though... If we end up with one in a year or two I would sell the 16" wheels and tyres and look for a 17" wheel and tyre package... :happydance:

No, haven't driven one yet Dazz.
Good point about it being under tired though - although we'll probably cancel each other out cos I'm always over-tired  :rolleyes:
Now, where do I find your test drive thread again? I do seem to recall reading it at one stage but would like another look........what section is it in?
I do wish it was possible to get at least the mid model though in diesel manual. I don't know why Hyundai play around with the specs available like they do.
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm actually a bit interested in the i40 wagon too but in the base model because it seems to be the only one that is available in diesel manual in Australia. Am I right in saying that?
Dave

You are right only the active Petrol and Diesel come as a Manual.

The Auto is a semi auto but I would prefer the manual too ..

I will find that test drive thread and edit this post to include it  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks, I'll have a read  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That was a good read, thanks.
I think I'd probably be happy with missing out on a few things with the base model, just  to get the diesel manual. Plus it's cheaper.
Interesting comment re the rear view camera though.
I'll have to go and have a good look at one.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I took an i40 for a test drive last year while I was getting the 30,000k service done on my i30.

It was the mid range model with diesel and auto. Very nice to drive and although my drive was only short I came away quite impressed.
I had the salewoman sitting alongside me so I couldn't give it too much stick but I did push it reasonably hard through some corners and found it up to scratch, especially considering it's a wagon.

Verdict....I want one.... :goodjob2:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
i40 :) this will be my next car, or Veloster.

Was in a test drive in an i40 the other day. such a smooth car, comfy and just gorgeous.
The girl test driving was used to a 1.9tdi audi A3, and was very very impressed, think she's putting an order in.

Just proves how well Hyundai are coming up in the world, with Audi drivers are going into Hyundais :)

Hyundai i30 will be launched march 5th in the UK
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
think i saw an i40 yesturday thought at first it was a Big Honda Wagon but noticed the Hyundai grill badge looked ok if you like Honda Odessy style. i think it would be too big to be fun. i drive enough big cars now. i like small cars as more fun to drive. try turning one around in a tight spot quick.
Dave my i30 has 4.5L/100k sticker on window the old 5 speed was 4.7/100k but i'm averaging 5.1L/100k i think a car that size would average 6L/100k but full loaded who knows?
if i was looking i'd ask for a full days test drive, only way to really get an idea. but love Diesel if new i30 has a bigger diesel motor i'll get one :happydance: filled up yesturday diesel $1.50, E10 $1.49, 95 Octain $1.59, 98 Octaine $1.64 if i had petrol i would be runing on 98 Octain as keeps motor clean but at that price and diesel economy way out infront.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

try turning one around in a tight spot quick.

The i40 is very light to manouevre :) has the EPS (Electronic Power steering) same as the i30, yet its even lighter yet again. Pure joy : )

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
think i saw an i40 yesturday thought at first it was a Big Honda Wagon but noticed the Hyundai grill badge looked ok if you like Honda Odessy style. i think it would be too big to be fun. i drive enough big cars now. i like small cars as more fun to drive. try turning one around in a tight spot quick.
Dave my i30 has 4.5L/100k sticker on window the old 5 speed was 4.7/100k but i'm averaging 5.1L/100k i think a car that size would average 6L/100k but full loaded who knows?
if i was looking i'd ask for a full days test drive, only way to really get an idea. but love Diesel if new i30 has a bigger diesel motor i'll get one :happydance: filled up yesturday diesel $1.50, E10 $1.49, 95 Octain $1.59, 98 Octaine $1.64 if i had petrol i would be runing on 98 Octain as keeps motor clean but at that price and diesel economy way out infront.

I average around 6 in my auto CW, but I spend a lot of time at 120 km/h. I think the 6 speed auto and slightly bigger engine in the I40 would equal lower rpm at that speed, and at least equal the economy.

That said, my luggage requirements will only get less once the young bloke outgrows his stroller so the extra room in the back probably won't be a big issue.

One would think the new I30 diesel will need to shave at least 10% of the current economy figures to a) be able to boast that it is new and improved and b) to slide in below the I40 (it would be embarrassing for the bigger car to have the same or better economy. So I suspect this will mean a 6 speed auto, the diesel engine is already producing 94kw in the accent, so I expect this will be the minimum for the I30.

I guess it would all depend on how much you could get an I40 for, and how long you will have to wait for a 2012 spec CW.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
try turning one around in a tight spot quick.

The i40 is very light to manouevre :) has the EPS (Electronic Power steering) same as the i30, yet its even lighter yet again. Pure joy : )

i'm sure steering is light i'm old so remember what it was like b4 power steering so all cars & truck have light steering. what i'm saying is as it is longer wheelbase i would expect it to take a larger turning circle?
so hence not as quick to turn around

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Beerman, i'm on if you want to have an economy trial i40 to i30 6 speed manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
what i'm saying is as it is longer wheelbase i would expect it to take a larger turning circle?
so hence not as quick to turn around

There's not that much in it, John...

• The i30 hatch is 10.34 m
  • The i30 SR is 10.72 m
  • The CW is 10.42 m
  • The CW Sportswagon is 10.9 m
  • The i40 is 10.94 m

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You might not think there is much, but allow total length of car & a falcon turns in about same turning circle as that. when you get used to a falcon then switch to an i30 you notice how much easier. also longer length is harder to park. but i'm used to parking trucks in sydney. one truck is a lot longer than the other and i notice it big time! but the longer truck rides better so i would expect the i40 to ride better than the i30 & probably be more stable in sweeping corners at high speed.  but i think if i was going to that size i would buy a i45 as look nicer to me. the i30 suits me fine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess it would all depend on how much you could get an I40 for, and how long you will have to wait for a 2012 spec CW.

Reckon the new model CW is probably at least 6 months further away than the 2012 hatch so might not see one until 2013  :eek:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

You might not think there is much, but allow....
The light steering maybe just makes it feel that way, I understand were your coming from Lakes. POssibly why they have made the steering feel so easy, to reduce the strain of having to manoeuvre a large vehicle

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The i40 didn't feel any bigger or more cumbersome than my Hybrid which also has a fairly good turning circle and nice steering for a big car... :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I called in to my local dealership today (where I bought my i30 from) to look at an i40. They had a white base model diesel manual demo there but I wasn't offered a drive and I didn't ask for one.
They didn't seem particularly interested in selling one to be honest. He said they are hard to get hold of and they are selling all they can get without effort.
When I mentioned perhaps trading in one of my performance cars (GT) as well it seemed to turn him off completely and he said, "We're not really interested in those types of cars and we'd probably only be able to give you a third of what it's really worth."
When I first walked in, no one got up to come to talk to me although they saw me walk in. I had to ask the receptionist to get someone for me to speak to. There was no offer to come and look at my car, no offer of a drive of theirs.
I'll probably try another dealership (John Hughes probably) to see what response I get. It was 4.00 pm and I think he was only interested in going home.
It didn't inspire confidence but then they didn't last time either when I bought the i30.
Whatever happened to good old fashioned service?

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was a real shame Dave.. I was hoping you'd say you took one for a test drive and loved it... :disapp:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

:whsaid: Really is a shame, I wonder how HY Aus, would react if you told them one of their dealers weren't doing much to assist the sale of the brand?

Get to another dealer and let them know the bother you have with the initial dealer, and just watch how frantic they are to help you and win you over :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, good idea.
This is the same dealer I had issues with at the first service on my i30. I watched them do nothing other than lift the bonnet & fill out the book, then when they realized they'd been sprung they got rather aggressive.
An easy way to pick up the "free service" fees from Hyundai for doing absolutely nothing I guess.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Yes, good idea.
This is the same dealer I had issues with at the first service on my i30. I watched them do nothing other than lift the bonnet & fill out the book, then when they realized they'd been sprung they got rather aggressive.
An easy way to pick up the "free service" fees from Hyundai for doing absolutely nothing I guess.
They sound rather incompetent to be honest. Surprise they havent got a back log of complaints. Shows how strong the brand is personally to you, that you still have the car, and haven't changed allegiance!  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do everyone a favour and pass on your experience to Hy Oz. Dealerships like that need their arses kicked. That is simply poor salesmanship and the dealer principal should get  boned from Hy Oz IMO.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Well I bought the car from them but didn't go back for servicing.
The dealer principal was made aware of everything at the time because I filled out their customer satisfaction questionnaire and told them all.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The dealer principal was made aware of everything at the time because I filled out their customer satisfaction questionnaire and told them all.
Did the DP give you any response to the actions of his staff

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Did the DP give you any response to the actions of his staff

Never heard back from him.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

says it all :)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@db08

what was the name of the dealer that you are talking about...just so that I don't go there......

thanks Dave

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal